Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Class A extended warranty

Hello. New member here. Just purchased a 2005 Winnebago Voyage Chevy/Workhorse with 20,000 miles. I pick it up next week. Thinking about a warranty for major systems. ie motor, transmission, generator and roadside assistance. The dealer checked out all major systems but just looking for a little backup coverage. Any ideas on the best company?
ArmyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out https://wholesalewarranties.com/

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #3

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22e...=18&gws_rd=ssl

Check out the previous threads about this subject, good and bad.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:43 PM   #4

Very happy with Wholesale Warranties.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You better read the fine print on any of them. Lot's of horror stories about denial of claims with all of them.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:37 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you checked the date codes on the tires? If they are original: 1) They need replacing ASAP! 2) This might tell you how good/bad the dealer really checked out the major systems.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks

Thanks for the info.
ArmyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #8

I seriously doubt you will find a reputable company that provides coverage on a 13 year old motorhome, otherwise the dealer would have tried to sell their extended warranty contract.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Remember that they are a contract, not a warranty. You have far less legal coverage with a contract then a warranty. The contract spells out the conditions of coverage that you must follow. Lots of holes to let them deny coverage.
Some years ago the was a case where someone had a transmission failure, the service policy administrator asked for the service records and found the owner had gone 750 miles over on the ENGINE OIL/FILTER change and they voided the policy without paying for the transmission. The did refund the policy cost though which was far less than the transmission repair would have cost.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dave! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! I've never been a fan of extended warranties. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only you can decide if a policy works for you. As stated earlier, a policy on a 13 year old RV may not be cost effective. Do your research and decide for yourself.

I am nearing the end of my 2nd policy and have come out ahead on both. My 1st policy paid out 4 times what I paid for it. You have to know the rules and follow them, like getting approval before the work, not after. I just had a major generator repair approved because I followed the rules.

I won't but a 3rd policy because the cost doesn't make sense. It would cost me $9000 or more due to the age and mileage on my RV. I will self insure and hope I don't have a engine or transmission failure which are the big ticket items.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #12

Purchased a 3 year 36,000 mile Service Contract last July on our 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD. Went through Cliff at Wholesale Warranties who recommended a Viking Protection Plan with exclusionary coverage. Covers everything except for a very small list of items which I felt we’re minor. I found Cliff very knowledgeable and easy to deal with.
Now in Florida Panhandle when the large driver’s side slide broke last month. Called Viking who told me to take it anywhere I want for repair. Their only requirement was the dealer call them once they had an estimate to repair the damage. Called HWH in Iowa to find out who they recommend in and they told me to take it to Alliance Coach in Wildwood, Florida as they had HWH trained technicians. Picking it up from Alliance on Sunday where they will have it set up in one of their campsites. Alliance called Viking who sent an adjuster out and approved all repairs.
Very happy with Alliance and Viking and my policy has paid for itself in the first 8 months. Peace of mind for us.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a 5 year warranty on my 2006 rig in 2012. I never used it. Warranty companies make money on these policies. They made a lot on me!
Old 03-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Warranty companies have to make money or they wouldn't be in business.