Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2016, 08:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I just want to ask... does rainwater stand in that depressed area of the roof when uncovered? I have never seen a roof like that one.
No it does not, it only does this because of the storage railings he has around the edge that hold the water in. If the cover was not water proof it would let the water through and this would not happen either.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARVAL Motorsports View Post
OK, here is the situation. Missed getting our 97 Dolphin into the storage mine in Wampum PA. Nothing else to find for indoor storage. Decided it must stay home in driveway. Bought a very nice Rip-Stop, waterproof cover for the winter ($$). Everything went to plan, covered and snugged down. It has been very mild here in NE Ohio, no snow or ice yet. However, rain has been pretty stout as of late, and that's when I noticed the LAKE forming within the rear luggage rack that unfortunately makes a perfect square around the perimeter of the last 6 or so feet of the RV, with the bedroom vent dead center. (Yes, I am pissed that I did not foresee this happening and fill the void with something) The water raised up to the top of the rack, about 4-5 inches. Good news, obviously the cover IS waterproof.
Tonight, I got inside and raised the rear with the lifts and was able to get some water out, but not all, and it is just the beginning of bad weather. I also would not want to leave the RV jacked or cocked for the whole winter. (Was also concerned about a cold windshield doing something that would spoil the rest of my winter )

My question, with all the expert knowledge out there, should I be worried about the freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw cycle atop that portion of the roof. It is a rubber roof. I am a bit concerned about the sealant around the roof vent, and that giving way to damage from the ice/freeze. I guess, if the cover remains waterproof and sealed, nothing should happen, but I am more than a bit concerned. Opinions????
CARVAL Motorsports
My 20 year old coach has never been covered or stored under roof.
IMO the best solution to your problem is: don't use a cover.
Mel
'96 Safari, 145 k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider13 View Post
How about a truck inner tube under the cover around the vent.?

+1 here too..
jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:45 AM   #18

You could buy three or four 1x3"x8' firring strips and cut to length to go across the rack. Drill a hole in the ends on each side of the rack rails and secure the strips with plastic zip ties. Then lay a sheet of plywood cut to size on the strips. You could either screw the plywood to the strips or drill a couple holes and use zip ties to hold the plywood in place while putting the cover back on. You could round off all the corners and edges of the plywood if you wanted too. Quick job with a 4" grinder.
BTW, good catch on finding this problem before it caused any damage.
I wouldn't want a block of ice this big and heavy sitting on my roof all winter long either.
Lynn
Old 02-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I just want to ask... does rainwater stand in that depressed area of the roof when uncovered? I have never seen a roof like that one.
Sorry for the late reply. No, the "Swimming Pool" was created when the waterproof cover sank with the weight of the water building up within the square confines of the roof rack. I was surprised at first, but it only makes sense that it would depress rather than stay level to the height of the roof rack tubes with any weight.
CARVAL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
My opinion, but I wouldn't want a waterproof cover. The cover should breathe, or is it possible to be waterproof and breathe?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:36 AM   #21

Actually, it is a rip-stop material that repels and dries out quickly. Mine has wind flaps down both sides, let's it breath. Not worried about this aspect!
CARVAL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:53 PM   #22

Get plywood and some 2x4's put them under the cover just slightly higher than the vent. Problem solved.