Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
RV Eats Space Heaters

Does anybody else experience problems with space heaters? Tonight I lost another space heater. It simply will not turn on. This a pretty normal occurrence for us. I haven't experienced a problem with any other devices, just space heaters. In a years time we have lost approximately 10 space heaters .

I have a surge guard. It's on and showing everything is fine. Another thing that might be noteworthy is that we've never lost a space heater while it was running. It's always when I go to turn them on that they end up not working. Also all of the space heaters have been the ceramic type,

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Riover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Overheating during cyclingn due to low voltage or overhearing wires.

Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you using the same receptacle for each failure? Are the heaters totally broken or do they work elsewhere?

So they run OK....you turn them off. Next time you hit ON.....nothing? Are any of them thermostatically controlled?

Do you have a "Watts Up" device that shows lots of info when connected to an appliance? Pretty cheap now, might get one.

Do you have another type (not ceramic) that you can use as a tester?
2003 Dolphin LX 6355 w/ W22 chassis; 8.1L gasser & Allison 1000
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
What kind of heaters? Were they all the same brand or different mfgs. Are you running them off an inverter circuit?
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Some will not work on inverter circuit.
06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
Off hand I would not think low voltage would kill a space heater. Less voltage = less heat output so usually = longer life.

What will kill a heating coil is the temperature rise when the airflow is shut off and the coil is at max temperature. Heat in the surrounding ceramic can cause a heat rise that deteriorates the coil. Eventually they crack. The easy answer is to cycle the heater down to low for a minute then fan if possible then off. Something I learned reading the directions on industrial heat guns many years ago. Works so far.

The other thing that can kill a simple heater is high line voltage. The higher the voltage the more power the heater will produce because the heater coil is running hotter. The hotter the coil the sooner it dies. You might want to check your line voltage and run on less than full on if the voltage is high.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Eats Space Heaters

I suspect high voltage and/or operating from a inverter.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:03 AM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Some will not work on inverter circuit.
Only if the inverter is too small.

Space heaters draw around 12 amps on high, Though the outlets in an RV are offically approved for 15 amps, often they start to fail right around 10 amps.. This is why I have some special outlets (15/20 type) that are fed with 12ga wire bent around a screw and tightened down, each from its very own circuit breaker (no other outlets, nothing daisy chained)

That is another problem with RV wireing

Breaker box=====Outlet1====outlet2=====outlet3

Outlet 1 has to carry all the load for all 3 outlets

That is the RV side of things.
Next post: the heater side.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:05 AM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Space heaters contain a Thermostat, Optionally a tip over switch, and a THERMAL FUSE, this small device looks like a diode to my electronics tech eyes, usually it is a wire with a small silver colored (May be any color) bulge.... IF for any reason the heater overheats it can blow this fuse, the fuse can be replaced, this is the #1 cause of space heater failure.

The T-Stat can fail as well (usually when it is NOT plugged in) as can the tip over switch. These are dirty contact or insect climbed on board failure.. You can clean the contacts with a contact tool or emery board.

But the Thermal fuse .. Well, Radio Shack used to carry them but I do not know the heat range.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:19 AM   #10
When running a space heater I run a separate cord to the pole. I do not plug into the campers wiring.
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:26 AM   #11
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
When running a space heater I run a separate cord to the pole. I do not plug into the campers wiring.

X 2.
Dave and Holly
2011 Winnebago Sightseer 33c with a 2011 Honda CRV behind.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:27 AM   #12

Try one of the oil filled radiator types. These usually work forever...I have some that are 10 years old still working fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1418646420.896607.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	81164
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:01 AM   #13
I used to use a small ceramic heater to heat my airplane. When it died I took it apart and found a thermal protection device had opened. I bought a replacement and it worked for a long time after that.
06 Millennium Prevost
15 HD Limited Low and 16 HD Triglide (DW)
13 Avalanche Black Diamond with Cruiser Caddie
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Strange - those heaters usually work fine for years. Some of the newer models with digital controls die young, though. The heater is fine but the little switch/control circuit board goes.

One thing that makes space heaters overheat is dust collecting at the air intake. Few inexpensive heaters have easily removable/cleanable screens and they just clog up with the dust that's in the air near the floor. Then the internal safety will trip and it won't even turn on. Sometimes placing the heater a foot or two above floor level helps - less dust gets sucked in.

Moisture can be a problem in todays heaters that have little circuit boards. Older mechanical control heaters may be more reliable for RV use.

Since few people have enough battery capacity to run a heater via an inverter, I doubt he is actually using MSW for it. When on shore power, 120v may be switched through the inverter, but its not inverting when shore power is present. However, if the heater is plugged in but turned off while traveling with the inverter on, it's controls will still be exposed to inverter supplied power. If that is MSW, they might hiccup on it and die. Digital control boards are alive whenever they are plugged in, even though the device is turned off, so they can and do choke on MSW power. I've lost several small electronic devices because I forgot to unplug them while traveling with inverter active.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote