Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2005, 05:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I know this has been discussed before but we just purchased a new 2005 Rv and I wanted to get some current opinions. Any info you have or experiences with specific companies would be appreciated. I am not good with mechanics so most time I would be taking problem to someone to repair.

Living the Dream------ Largo, Fl.
Newmar 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2005, 05:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I know this has been discussed before but we just purchased a new 2005 Rv and I wanted to get some current opinions. Any info you have or experiences with specific companies would be appreciated. I am not good with mechanics so most time I would be taking problem to someone to repair.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:48 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Tom & Cindy, congratulations on the new rig. Hope things are going well for both of you. I can only say that if you having an extended warranty will make you more comfortable then read the fine print carefully. As I was told, "The large print giveth, and the fine print taketh away". Maintenance is not covered. Cosmetics, belts, bulbs, batteries are also not covered. You have a manufacturers warranty that you can fall back on for the first few years. If you were to trade in for another coach in about three of four years I don't see the need in an extended warranty. Just keep up the maint. and you should be fine. Good luck and enjoy!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike -how you and AMY DOING? We are getting ready to take our new rv on its first outing today for 4 days. Hope I can remember all I am supposed to do with this new one-the last one was a gas and this onew seems so much more things to be aware of.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:14 PM   #5

Tom and Cindy,
The key to this choice depends upon several things. First, realize that an extended warranty is actually a health insurance plan for the RV. To see if you should have coverage, and if so, how much, you need to ask yourself, if the very worst happened, and the transmission, refrigerator, or some other expensive item should fail, what would be the effect upon me and my financial position? If you normally have the money available to pay for such things, then you don't need an extended warranty. But, if that occurance would mean that you could not use the RV, then it would likely be wise to buy coverage.

Next, realize that not all coverage is the same and what you get for different prices is quite different. You need to read all of the contract before you choose. For new RVs the best bet it what they call an "exclusionary" contract. That means that it will cover all repairs except those that are listed. The other type is an "inclusionary" contract which only covers the items that are listed. Also, deductables make a great difference in the cost.

Keep in mind that this insurance, like all insurance policies, does not save money except for those who do have major problems. But it does protect you in the event that the worst should happen. If you wish to read an article that was published in Escapees Magazine on the subject, it is posted on the site in my signature. But remember that you are buying protection from a major disastor and not trying to save money. Very few home owners ever save money by insuring their houses aginst a natural disastor, yet nearly all choose to pay for coverage. This is very much the same question.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Kirk Thanks for yhe info. I will go and reads your article. If you dont mind answering-do you have a policy and if so with what company.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:01 PM   #7

We bought a seven year extended warranty from DSF Premium when we purchased the motorhome. We chose to do so because we were about to retire and to go on the road fulltime, not really knowing how well our finances would be since we were retiring early and would have only my pension for income. We bought one of the more expensive contracts, with nearly everything covered and only a $25 deductable. We did so knowing that it was unlikely to save us money, but it would remove the risk of a major disastor preventing us from fulltime RV travel. That seven years has now passed. The company never once declined to pay for a repair or did they make any effort to avoid. We did not have any large items that needed repair in that time with the most expensive having cost just under $400. The total paid out was probably less than half of the cost, but we slept well every night knowing that a failure would not wreck our future. We now have begun to draw my wife's pension and have access to our 401K money and so did not buy as much coverage for the future. We now have a contract on our RV that has a $200 deductable, but it also has a clause that if we do not use it at all in the four year duration, we get all of our money refunded! We chose that level of coverage not since the cost is significantly lower with the higher deductable and we have the financial ability to pay for most repairs. But we still do not need to worry about the loss of an engine or transmission failure.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I decided to go with the plan fron camping world which say all is covered EXCEPT listed items.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:33 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing against the Camping World & Good Sam Continues Service Policy (CSP), but get quotes from other sources as well and you may save money, sometimes quite a lot. The "all except exclusions" type of policy is available from most all extended warranty brokers and in fact most of them are actually written on the same two or three insurance companies tht handle this sort of thing. A web search on RV Extended Warranty should turn up several brokers. You need not be concerned about broker reliability because your repair shop will do business direct with the insurer if you have a claim.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:23 PM   #10

Rv Roamer: Youyr advice makes this sound like it is a no brainer when in fact it is not. A person needs to be concerned on who sold you the policy and who is insuring it. Also who is the reinsurer. Some of the brokers have policies written just for them with lots of "outs" in case of a claim. You should have told this person to buy from a reputable firm and to read the whole policy BEFORE the purchase. I still remember all the suckers who got stung from Warranty Gold. They continued to sell policies after they were essentially bankrupt. Lots of scam artists in this business.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:32 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was thinkin about canceling my extended warranty after only 2 months. I've gotten so frustrated with the 2 Authorized svc centers within 60 miles of me. It takes forever for them to accept it much less to work on it and then they only fix some of the things on the list. They try to charge for part of the work and can't tell me which one it was. First it was WH declines to pay then it was Damon. It started that I owe $116 then it went to $100 then it came down to $70 and I have to pay it because they are the only "authorized" warranty repair place. I have to suck up just to get them to work on it.
It was much easier and I got better work done on my 93 Minnie Winnie. It was'nt cheap but I was always satisfied that the work was fixed right. Cash works way better and faster than warranties.

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote