Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #15

Gerryl, I have to completely agree with you and the others here. The sad thing is, most real estate agents still don't get the value of good photography. I contemplated doing real estate photography, but what the agents both expect to pay, and the time they expect the work to be done in, doesn't make it worthwhile. Meanwhile these same agents will sit on listing for months, advertising it with crappy cell phone pics. They are selling homes for several hundred thousand dollars, making several thousand per sale, and expect a photographer to come out and photograph/process, and deliver for essentially minimum wage. Ugh.

I do agree that most private RV sellers are just as bad if not worse with their listings too:

Dark, grainy photos.

Photos with the slides in, but none with the slides out. I mean this primarily for interior images, but it applies to exterior shots too.

Photos that are upside down or sideways.

Only offering one photo, and it's just the front and side view.

Offering just a few images that tell more about the outside than the inside.

Thinking that we will somehow be "charmed" by all the bric-a-brac "staged" throughout the RV that makes it even harder to tell what the rig actually looks like inside.

Wires and cables everywhere. Cleaning up also means putting away things that aren't permanently mounted so I know if your dash really has a big split in it, or it's just the wire to a GPS that is run haphazardly.

OOF. Out of focus images. This really kills me because you should know right away if the image was sharp or not. We're not using film anymore people.

Images that show what everything outside looks like, while leaving the interior of the coach in darkness. Close the shades and turn on the lights. It's not that hard.

Pictures of the basement that are so cluttered we can't actually see in the basement. If the coach is on a raised rail chassis, I want to see that. It makes a huge difference in basement space.

Pictures of everything in the coach, taken so close I can't see how they all fit together. All while not providing any wider views so I could figure out how the coach is laid out.

Shaky video walk-throughs with the camera so close I can't see what I'm being shown. Put the camera on a tripod or have someone else hold it.

The way I see it, if you're asking tens of thousands, and in some cases, hundreds of thousands for something you should expend a little effort in prepping it for display and sale. Take the time to really pick up and clean up the rig, inside and out. Move the clutter out, take your pictures, then bring it back (if you're full timing). Empty the basement, take a few pictures, put the stuff back. Yes it takes time. But if you want someone to travel several hours or more to look at your rig, make sure they don't show up disappointed because your images didn't provide an honest portrayal of what they would be getting. If you can clean and empty the rig entirely, then you can have a professional photographer come in and photograph it. Have them do photos and a video walk-through. A good photographer will have the right lenses and camera to accurately represent the coach, without a weird fish-eye effect or being so close you can't get a feel for the coaches layout. They will have the right support equipment to put the camera wherever it needs to be to get the images, and they'll have the lights to make sure the interior and exterior shots are well balanced. Just look at the way the larger dealers and manufacturers display their coaches online.

Of course, along with the bag images comes poor descriptions. People who give descriptions so basic I'm convinced they're hiding something. I want to know what the coach is.
Who made it?
What year is it? How long is it?
How many slides, if any, does it have?
What chassis is it on?
What engine does it have?
What's the engines HP/Torque rating?
What generator does it have?
How many hours on the generator?
What's the output?
How big is the water heater?
What TVs/electronics/appliances are in the rig?
Propane or all electric?
King or queen bed?
Does the couch make a proper bed, or is it just a jack-knife?
Are there footrests on the captains chairs in the front?
What size inverter?
How much water does it hold?

These kinds of things matter to buyers. When I'm looking for a used coach I shouldn't have to scour the internet trying to find spec's on a coach. Put it in the listing. People these days search nationwide for a coach, having a listing that thoroughly shows and describes the coach will make them feel better about getting on a plane to cross the country for a new rig. The larger dealers get this, it's just a shame that many RV owners don't.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Also make sure if the camera had a time date stamp that it is set to current date time.
I bought a house last year when I first viewed the pictures they were stamped 2012.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #17

Saw an ad with lots of really nice photos, however one showed the stinky slinky laying on the dinette table!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Saw an ad with lots of really nice photos, however one showed the stinky slinky laying on the dinette table!

Man, that's worse than the people who leave it laying across the basement floor, without even putting endcaps on it.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #19

Agree with everything thus far, but I can't fathom someone trying to sell something (anything) with NO PRICE!

Looked at several adds today that way ?????
joespapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, I agree, pictures are very important to me when I'm shopping! In fact when I see an RV for sale with only a few pictures I wonder what they don't want me to see. Same thing with dark pictures, turn on some lights so I can see what the RV looks like! And clothes or trash laying around? How impressive is that? If they can't or won't pick things up before taking pictures to place in an ad, what else was neglected?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:30 PM   #21

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
I'm hoping they don't choose a surgeon the same way.
i own and moderate groups where we discuss medical issues...unfortunately way too many people DO choose their surgeon in that fashion.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:28 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Or you priced it too low originally?

No doubt

2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742
Old 07-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #23

Floor plan is essential. But making one by yourself is not easy.
chris1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:44 AM   #24

I've seen pictures taken off the web same model, not the same coach.
sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #25

I am not in the market for a new motor home, but have an addiction to looking. A biggie for me was how much space will I have to walk when the slides are in and traveling down the road. It's rare for those pictures. Or, when is all opened up and when people make videos or do pictures, they never open up the beds/couches so you can get a real feeling of what it will be like.
Fourdiazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Biggest turn off to me in a MH ad, is the "call for best price". It's so vague I don't even bother with it. Give us a ballpark number. Is it 200k or 400k? I'm not gonna call for all the prices. Besides even if they give you "best price", you know it can be bought lower.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespapa View Post
Agree with everything thus far, but I can't fathom someone trying to sell something (anything) with NO PRICE!

Looked at several adds today that way ?????
For sure! Those are the ones that don't even get a look see from me.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:19 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Great advice! I'm big on pictures also! If they don't show lots of pics I think they may be hiding something!
+ a bunch to this sentiment. No pictures in this day and age is a bad sign!!! It's like the campground websites that include pictures of everything but the campground area.

Tags
sale