Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #15

Also note that if you're going to do this you might need a bit of house re-wiring to get it all working.

If for instance the generator feeds only one side of the 220 volt 3 wire (4 with ground) house wiring, none of the circuits on the 'other side' will get any power from the generator.

A proper transfer switch that disconnects the neutral bond is highly recommended though, you can flip off the main breaker and still put power out through the bonded neutral wire which doesn't get broken by the main service breaker.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some times I type "This is what I would do" however in this case "This is what I did"

As part of a general electrial system upgrade I had a proper generator transfer panel installed.. Had I not been doing the major upgrade I'd have done it msyelf but.. Hey, This is what I did.

This is a panel with several switches and post type (Push to reset) circuit breakers, it has an inlet (30 amp, 4-wire, 120/240 volt) and both single 120 volt breakers and dual-ganged (240) volt breakers,, We left those "N/C" (not connected) each breaker is it's own circuit, independent (save for the ganged ones) of anything else.

Each switch has 3 positions MAIN/OFF/GENERATOR

On the back of the hosue was an 30 amp twist lock inlet.

I made up a special extension cord, 30 amp twist lock on one end (The HOT wire feeds both the Hot legs on the twist lock) and a plug matching an outlet on the Motor home (One I installed just for this) on the Motor home end.

30 amps, was more than I needed it turns out.

When I came home from church and found Frosty the air, blown snowman lying down on the job.. I went to the basement, got the big cord, plugged the twist lock outlet onto the twist lock inlet, uncolied as I walked toward the motor home, pugged in that end, went inside, got the gen-turi, came out and installed, back inside and played the button chorus on the control panel (Pressed the stop and start buttons in the pattern described in the operator's manual for the generator) observed the indicator panel on the Prosine light up when power transfered, Back to teh basement

CLICK and there was light
CLICK and the furnace started
CLICK for the fridge another for the freezer, one mroe for Televisons and such, and the computer and internet and .. Well you get the idea.

ONE light (A very short hall) we nearly never used was left on the MAIN panel, not hooked to the transfer panel.. Upstairs and I turned ths switch for this light ON.

When the light actually came on some hours later I went around and switched everything basck to MAIN, shut down the Generator and left the cord for when it was needed again

Old 11-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Some sort of a circuit transfer switch or physical main breaker lockout is required in most all areas. Just ensuring you drop the main breaker is not adequate to satisfy the requirement.
Here they require an automatic lockout to feed the house from a generator.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #18

This is what I did

I already have a 10K Generator that feeds the main panel and a spare Honda 2000 from the 5th wheel days. Since we have been without power for two separate weeks in the past year and have had to lend out the generators, I figured I might as well use the 5500W in the MH. I wired in a 30A RV outlet mounted in the utility compartment and connected to the 30A breaker on the generator. I then run a 50' heavy duty RV cord that terminates into 4- 20 amp, 120 V outlets. The important things for me to run is my boiler for heat/hot water and my well pump that are both also 120 Volt. Both these systems have 120V plugs that plug into 120V outlets rather than being hardwired. So now if I want to power up off the RV, I just plug these systems into the extension from the camper and life s good. There is also enough power left over to run a TV with a coat hanger antenna and a few lights.
A big issue for us when there were major power outages was a lack of open gas stations. The motorhome always sits with 75 gallons if needed.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
That's what I like about this option. Keep the RV with a full tank and up to 100 hours actual run time of genny fuel are available.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:42 PM   #20

I saw this on website and made my own safety switchover plate. Genset plug has breaker that is blocked when main is on. Upon power loss, turn off main, drop plate to block it off, turn on genset breaker, turn off high power circuits. Genset powers both legs of 220vac. When comes back to meter, reverse process.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150331_164206.png
Views:	85
Size:	657.4 KB
ID:	90177
Old 03-31-2015, 05:51 PM   #21
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I live out in the sticks and power lose is a common occurrence.

Like others, I backfeed the house (turn off the main) with a "suicide cord". I really don't want the DW doing this, so I installed 5 outlets around the house that are all wired together, and are NOT connected to the house wiring in any way.

I now use my suicide cord to plug into one of those outlets the one outside,, and the others now have power.

One near the frig, one near the furnace, entertainment system and kitchen, just move the plugs and we are temporarily in business and no worry about frying the Edison worker.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:44 PM   #22

Generator InterLock Kit Manual Transfer Switch
Old 04-01-2015, 06:18 AM   #23
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pirate - Never seen these, thnks.

This would mitigate my fear of the DW backfeeding into the nuclear power plant up the street if she uses the suicide cord in the house outlets

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:26 AM   #24

Rv generator for power outages in stick built home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
CAUTION!! its not quite that simple. You MUST, I repete You MUST turn your main breaker off as long as the gen-set is plugged in.

IF you don't you can shock a lineman to death!!.

Actually you can give them quite a jolt doing it this way too. That's why it's not legal to 'back feed' a house from a generator this way, you must use a transfer switch that completely disconnects the house from the grid, not just 2 out of 3 conductors.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:30 AM   #25

I just run an extension cord to the refrig. in the S&B,then camp in the Moho until the power is restored.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
I just run an extension cord to the refrig. in the S&B,then camp in the Moho until the power is restored.
Ditto
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:20 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is what I did.. IT is also what I recommend.

I had a proper generator transfer panel installd...There are several kinds of these.. The one I bought had multiple switches and manually transferred a circuit at a time.

I put some (not all) of the lights on it..Televisions,radios,computers, Fridge/freezer and microwave and furnace (Alas no A/C since it is 240 volt).

ONE of the lights NOT on the panel was a seldom (read that never) used hall light.

Power fail

Turn on never used hall light
plug outlet end of custom made cord onto INLET on back of house
Uncoil and plug into motor home outlet
Fire up ONAN (After installing Gen-Turi)
Back to basement

CLICK: lights
CLICK: Furnace
CLICK: Fridge
CLICK:Frezer
and so on down the line

Cost of all that;....I forget
Warm wife....Priceless

When hall light came on

Back to basement and un-click everything,,Then to motor home and shut off ONAN... leave cord cause it is the middle of winter (Dec-31 to be precise) and I figure I'll need it again before spring.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I live out in the sticks and power lose is a common occurrence.

Like others, I backfeed the house (turn off the main) with a "suicide cord". I really don't want the DW doing this, so I installed 5 outlets around the house that are all wired together, and are NOT connected to the house wiring in any way.

I now use my suicide cord to plug into one of those outlets the one outside,, and the others now have power.

One near the frig, one near the furnace, entertainment system and kitchen, just move the plugs and we are temporarily in business and no worry about frying the Edison worker.

In a hospital, such as where I work, this is how it is done as well albeit in a much fancier way. The red outlets are "always available" and include both 2 different feed lines from the electrical utility that can automatically transfer over to as well as diesel powered generators that come online if both of these feeds fail. Essential items are moved to the red outlets. Bedside monitors already have battery backup for a certain period of time.

Why diesel and not natural gas? In the event of a natural disaster, natural gas lines are often cut. Diesel allows for the greatest flexibility. A certain amount is kept available at all times (and fresh) and trucks would supply additional as needed. (Additional access to the location has also been factored). In my time here thus far, the generators have a monthly test and full extensive "real world cutover" is done on a schedule where both feeder lines from the utility are literally cut and locked out and the entire facility cuts over to generator power with 500+ patients @ the hospital and trucks are pumping in diesel.

We've had a feeder line fail in real life and non - essential buildings lose power. Once one line is down, the generators fire up automatically due to a requirement to always have a redundant power source online.

One gains an appreciation for the importance of electrical power in a hospital. This is much more true today with the full electronic medical record and so many electronic and patient life support systems. (Yes, we prepare for manual options if those are not available, too).

wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote