Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
RV Glass Solution

Anyone have experience with this company in getting you MH windshield replaced or resealed. I am facing the not uncommon issue of my two piece windshield popping out at the upper corners, not breaking just popping out. I want someone with MH experience not the local glass company who told me "sure we will give it a try".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do they back up their work with a warrantee? Are they state or Nation wide?
What is the cause of the windshield popping out?

Many windshields move about because of the twisting of the frame when entering and exiting driveways and roadways. Repeated occurrences can be prevented by Upgrading the suspension with front and rear anti-sway bars, rear track bar, steering stabilizer, better shocks (I recommend Koni), and Sumo springs eliminates a lot of the twisting and sudden movements of the frame, giving a softer ride and more comfortable driving experience. Makes a hell of a big difference especially if you have a one piece windshield.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've had a 1/2 windshield, stationary side and side slider replaced by these folks over the last three years and was absolutely satisfied by their work. I'm relatively local to their home-base in Coburg Oregon (they took over the old Monaco headquarters building) but I hear they do show up at a few rallies across the west. I would go back to them again if I ever had a glass need.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:34 PM   #4

This seems to be a common problem. When are the manufacturers going to get their act together and design their products properly?
Can you imagine what the response would be if people were driving their cars down the road and their windshields popped out because the cars were so poorly built? There would be an immediate recall on all affected cars.
The RV industry is full of product that is poorly designed, overloaded before adding any accessories and unreliable. Is it impossible to produce quality units that will function as they should? It seems to be in too many cases.
Sorry you have to deal with this problem. It should never happen but the manufacturers don't care about long term reliability.
With 40-45 footers with full side slides on one side and 2 or 3 on the other side the new units have about as much structural integrity as a paper bag. Very sad state of affairs.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
They replaced a windshield for me very recently. You will still get a local glass shop show up to do the installation, but it will be someone who is vetted thru RV glass solutions. I was very satisfied with the service and installation.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Their warehouse is in Phoenix and they send crews to Quartszite every year. In a day a couple of days 3 years ago they replaced 8 w/s and worked on (sealed) others. They are not the cheapest but none of our Monaco group has had a problem. Our reseal does not leak!!
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:04 AM   #7

I had a long talk with Tracy at RV Glass solutions yesterday and she explained the referral process. She was very knowledgeable and since it will be just a re-set she referred me directly to their preferred installer for the area thus so I could avoid their mark-up on labor alone. I spoke at length with the installer about my issue and it was obvious that he knew exactly what I was talking about so we set up an appointment for next week, I will report back after it is done.

Just as an aside I spoke with another company here that specializes in remodeling and collision repairs. Their shop supervisor reported that at that time he had 7 MH's on his lot that were having broken or popped out windshields for repairs. During the discussion he said that these problems occurred from improper jacking, rough roads, elevation changes taken at an angle and just flat out improper installation. He also said that a large percentage of their repairs were done on MH that had previously been repaired by "glass" type people who obviously did not know anything about MH windshields.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:28 AM   #8

If what they're going to do is just a reseal, I would be sure to tell them to be really careful to not tear the old windshield seal. Over a period of 3 yrs. mine popped out 3 times. The last time the windshield guys told me the seal was torn, and needed to be replaced. They use some tools that have a pretty sharp point to pry under the seal. I didn't do it then, but waited til I got to Foley, AL. before I had a new seal put in(Cherokee Farms RV Center). Looking at your signature line you have a '98 Eagle. If it's the original seal, it might be kind of sketchy.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #9

I had the w/s replaced a few mos ago on my MH after returning from Alaska....Had it done in San Diego by RV Glass Solutions (one of their hundreds of subs).........NEVER get it done in San Diego...I ended up taking it to Phoenix and RV Glass did it over correctly....

The crew in San Diego was so incompetent it defies logic....Hundreds of miles out of my way to get it done right in Phoenix by RV Glass.......The workers there could not believe the poor workmanship.....Rubber trim fell off.....Grease all over the dash.....etc etc etc.....I could go on and on.....all the while I could not communicate with any of the 3 workers because they did not speak English....

That said, RV Glass Solutions stepped up to the plate and made it right by a redo it Phoenix.....But the travel and hassle was frustrating....and expensive.....

The problem in my case was RV Glass did not screen their sub in San Diego properly, IMHO......They might be fine for a car but a one piece w/s on a new MH, they were unqualified......I hear good things about this company in other locations ....
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #10

Great service and clean installation. Appt's kept, insurance handled, made it easy for me.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #11

Well here's somewhat of an update. I met with Mike Howard of RVGlasstech the person referred to my by RV Glass Solutions. Mike was on time which is good. After examining my windshield however he spotted something that I had just noticed yesterday while washing the coach, on the driver side the windshield in the upper corner had moved enough to cause a crack about a 1 inch crack in the fiberglass cap, not good. Mike was totally honest in that he could reset the window but it would not hold and be just a half-$%s job which he did not want to do. The window seal appears to be in good shape and will not need to be replaced. He doesn't think that the repair will be that difficult and did recommend someone in Clearwater that he considered to be on of the best rv body men in the state.
So tomorrow will set up appointment with Collisiontec RV for their estimate on repairs. The saga continues.