Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #1

Smile RV GPS is it worth it.

I'm trying to decide if a RV GPS is needed. Can I get some input on this subject. Also what is a good model if I was to purchase one? With the phones and GPS in the truck is it necessary. Is there a App out the that will tell you about the gas station Awning heights and lets don't forget about the bridges.
momentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #2

You don't specify what RV you have....but with our DRV Mobile Suites it is a necessity. We have the Garmin RV760 and love it. It routes us around low overpasses and length restrictions. We entered the overall length and height of our rig the GPS does the rest. It also alerts us of major curves ahead and speed limit increases/decreases as we travel. We have had a few occasions where the GPS routed us around areas that should have been ok, but better safe than sorry!
Old 01-27-2017, 03:10 PM   #3

RV GPS is it worth it.

I'm trying to decide if a RV GPS is needed. Can I get some input on this subject. Also what is a good model if I was to purchase one? With the phones and GPS in the truck is it necessary. Is there a App out the that will tell you about the gas station Awning heights and lets don't forget about the bridges.

2017 GD Momentum 350
2016 Siverado
Old 01-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #4

New at this I have a 2017 GD Momentum 5th wheel. Thanks for the feed Back.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Every road in the USA is good for 13'6" clearance, if not it will
be clearly marked on every road that leads to the low clearance.
Gas stations..... I rather doubt that any system will include
heights at the pumps. I use my regular GPS and iPhone for
navigation.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #6

7 yrs we wandered around the US using secondary/back roads towing a 13'4" TALL 5th wheel that was 34' long
Traveled weekly thru Small Town USA using Mon/Pop---regular service stations

Didn't need a GPS.
Low over passes/bridges/trestles are clearly marked PRIOR to approach.
Only came across TWO during those 7 yrs that weren't-----actually were but signage had been obstructed by overgrown vegetation.
Obvious too low so just backed up/turned around and went alternate route.

GPS....
Personal choice but not needed.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
YC1

Driving a 40 footer with a toad the Rand McNally RV gps has saved my bacon a few times, got me in trouble a few times. I would not leave home without it.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #8

Also have the Garmin RV 760, and love ours, too. Aside from routing, there's another huge advantage, and that's Bluetooth connectivity and real-time highway conditions. Three times this year, we've been on interstates where there were accidents up ahead, and traffic was at a standstill. Prior to joining the 'parking lot', our Garmin suggested alternate routes to avoid the stoppages, and it worked like a charm every time.

It's worked just as well where there have been construction delays, and saved us from who knows how long, sitting in traffic. There are many advantages in addition to routing and other obvious advantages. Too, it uses Voice Command, so there's no taking your eyes off the road, or hands from the steering wheel.
shiloh14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
GPS forRVs

I just purchased a Garman 760LMT and love it. I have a Kenwood
gps in my Allegro and it does not allow RV specific input. Also a map update for the Kenwood cost around $150. The Garman has lifetime free updates and will pay for its self with 2 updates which are available quarterly. I recently tested it on a trip to a known area with RV restricted heights and tight turns. It routed me around the known restricted areas. BUT remember never leave home without a current Rand McNally map! I carry everything; phone gps, RV gps, hard copy maps, etc. Haven't been lost yet!
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #10

Having a gps or two is a great way to enhance your situation awhereness, but don't rely on it to be the perfect answer.
Used in conjunction with proper pretrip planning, you'll enjoy its convenience of having a map in front of you at all times, and knowing where you are on that map.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #11

60,000 miles around US and Canada - never had one, don't want one
(though i use google maps, of course, if that's one you'd consider a gps)
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
As with anything electronic it can have a brain fart and send you to the wrong place/road/area. IMO there's no substitute for good old stubby pencil system. Buy a new Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas each spring and double check the routes you want to run against this. It'll show low overpasses, restricted routes, and all roads authorized for use by big rigs are high lighted on each states map. Drove truck for 20+ years and only time I EVER had issue was following directions a shipper gave me.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #13
YC1

I really like the convenience of finding fuel along the way. Nice big truck stops. Fuel, stretch the dogs and passengers, have some lunch. Then head out and use it to find a destination for the night. Phone number, ratings etc right at your fingertips.

For traffic I use the Waze application. Take some time to check it out. It is fantastic for finding issues along the way reported by other users.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Momentum - you've gotten some good responses that indicate this is partly a "religious" issue: people believe what they believe and don't want to consider the alternative.

For us, we use a TomTom GPS (not RV) and appreciate how responsive they can be to traffic updates and recommend detours, as has been mentioned. Another point to consider if you're thinking of just relying on your phone/tablet using a wireless connection, is that many parts of the country don't have a reliable wireless signal, including some surprisingly urban parts of the country. Whereas the GPS can find the satellites anywhere, anytime even if you don't have cellular coverage. Just another data point.

Tags
gps