Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Heat

RV heat
I just got back from walking the dogs in the campground. There are a lots of people are burning a lot of gas to heat there RVís. We use 2 cheep little 1500 watt heaters to heat our 40 footer. I turn them low so maybe there 750 watts each, then adjust them to come on under 65 degrees. I also put the main gas heat on 63 degrees. Most nights the main gas does not come on. The 2 little ones are good alone down to the 30ís .
The heaters make a little white noise, the gas heater come on and wakes me up.

I hate to see all that gas wasted.

1999 Dutch Star DP 3884
the wife and 2 dogs, one of them will kiss me.
dutch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
That's what we do. When paying a CG, we use their electricity rather than our diesel...we have an Aqua Hot.

2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Us, too. One small heater up front and one in the bedroom in the back (the one up front oscillates). We actually like the white-noise. \ken
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
Small electric heater do make sense, as long as one is at a CG. Since we boon dock a lot we use the propane heaters more. We do have a small electric heater that we do use when we have the generator running, which is a couple hours before going to bed. For us, not only does it provide a little heat, but it also puts a little more 'load' on the generator.
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
The heat pumps work for us until about 42 degrees. Then we use 2 1500 watt ceramic heaters. Last Thanksgiving it was about 25 degrees, we kicked on the central heat to warm up & the ceramics did just fine after that.
2011 40' Monaco Cayman PBQ ISC 360
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
CampingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by dutch99 View Post
We use 2 cheep little 1500 watt heaters to heat our 40 footer.
Well, I have 4 of those heaters and a 38 footer, how many I use depends on conditions.. Got down to 11 degrees once last winter, I had to use the furnace that night.. (Furnace heats wet bays)

Normally I use 2 or 3 of the heaters. This year I am 200 miles farther south and only about five miles from the ocean so i likely will never burn propane.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are a couple of ways of looking at this. If you are in a CG that charges for electricity then it's probably a toss up. You are either burning gas ($$$$) or burning something to make the electricity. We use heaters because it is much more convenient to pay for the electricity and save the gas.

If your CG is not charging you for the electricity then they are either including it in the cost of the CG or eventually will have to up their CG costs or monitor your electricity and charge you a deposit (usually if you stay for extended periods of time). Somebody is going to have to pay for the energy used and I can assure you it won't be the CG owners.

If campers use electricity and don't pay for it one way or the other eventually the CG's will have to change their ways or go out of business.

When we stay in FL in March for a month (4 years now) We pay a $100 deposit and we usually have an electric bill of about $25-$35 depending on the weather. They always refund the balance within a few weeks of us getting home in April.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #8

I noticed all the rv's this past week heating with propane furnaces had water dripping down their interior surfaces of the windows. Ours with our 3 electric heaters and heat pump had dry windows.
2013 Tiffin Allegro 36LA OPEN ROAD
2012 Honda CRV AWD toad
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
When at a campground we use electric heaters, one up front and another mid-ships. They are usually enough to keep us comfortable.

When its going to stay below freezing I have some small electric heaters to keep my bays warm.
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #10
Originally Posted by dutch99 View Post
We use 2 cheep little 1500 watt heaters to heat our 40 footer.

I hate to see all that gas wasted.

Unless you're in an area like Florida where the electricity is generated by burning natural gas........
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
If you have the heat pumps, they work well. Our previous coach had two that were ducted together. When we're up front in the evening, we turn on the rear unit and allow the heat to migrate forward, keeping the room quiet while watching TV.

When we went to bed, we turned the front pump on and let it migrate to the bedroom. This allows for a gentle heating of the room, rather than the blast we would get when we have to use the propane furnace.

I also added two additional outlets to my Diplomat that used a separate 20 amp cord that was wired to my electrical bay. When we only have 30 amps of shore power, I could plug the additional cord into the 15/20 amp outlet at the pedestal and power one electric heater and still have 30 amps for the heat pump or another electric heater.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote