Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 09:50 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Be glad you purchased a warranty.
I spent half of last year thinking about buying a warranty and .. Since then wishing I had.

Seriously best advice in thread.

New or used there is always something that will go wrong.. Though total electrical failure is not that common it happened to both myself (on a towed) and my daughter (on her car) thankfully on her car we had a warranty, on mine,, It was time to bid it good-by anyway so we did.

In fact. One of the things I'm doing today is fixing stuff that's "Broke" here in the Motor home.. (Really non-scheduled maintenance items) I have two DVR's that are supposed to be chatty but when their ears get dusty they can not hear each other so it's pull 'em, take 'em out open 'em up and press the button on the blow-hard (Air "Gun" adapter on my multi-use 150 PSI pancake compressor) that blows the dust out and they become chatty again.. and yes, I do know what is really happening)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
thanks to all for your comments and assistance. We got it back today, the generator worked for about an hour but when my husband got in and turned on the engine, the generator shut off and we can get it to turn back on. This is our first, are we doing something wrong in that respect? They gave us a tour but we can 't remember everything. Basic operations videos or instructions would be helpful, are there some free out there? Also steps won't retract, had the issue when we first looked at it, they told us they put in a new motor, quit working today, is there a fix on that we can do ourselves? For the hour that I sat in it today, I really enjoyed it. Please help these old greenhorns.
Holidayroll2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
There is a switch that keeps the steps from retracting when parked so they don't keep going in and out whenever you open the door.
Maybe that switch is "on".

Bob
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Mike and Cha
That is great to hear.
When can I expect that to happen?
Mel
'96 Safari, mine since '01, (for 115k of it's 142k total miles).
If I could I would hit 'LIKE' on this post...
Old 09-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks Bob, we tried that.
Holidayroll2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holidayroll2 View Post
thanks to all for your comments and assistance. We got it back today, the generator worked for about an hour but when my husband got in and turned on the engine, the generator shut off and we can get it to turn back on. This is our first, are we doing something wrong in that respect? They gave us a tour but we can 't remember everything. Basic operations videos or instructions would be helpful, are there some free out there? Also steps won't retract, had the issue when we first looked at it, they told us they put in a new motor, quit working today, is there a fix on that we can do ourselves? For the hour that I sat in it today, I really enjoyed it. Please help these old greenhorns.
Congrats on your RV, hang in there, soon you will have all the bugs worked out. For your Generator, do you have more than 1/4 tank of gas? (1/4 or more required) if so, check that the Generator breaker did not trip For your steps, check fuses, check ground wire, check for obstructions where they pivot. Grease well and often. Most important, don't panic, you will be camping soon.
Ted
Old 09-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
I would like to know what you received for your $33,000.00 (minus the $10,400.00) Did they treat you to a brand new crate motor? Cummins are usually the least expensive Engines to go through I just spent 23k on a Platinum Cat C15 inframe with both Turbos, Exhaust Manifold Complete...
Nope, just rebuilt 2 cyl's and new head, valves, DPF, maybe cams and turbo. Plus of course the full cleaning of everything. Some 11 pages worth plus $4,000 for taking the bedroom apart and putting it back together.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I guess it's all what you make of it, for us it happened the day we bought it, and haven't regretted it since, other than the days I wash and wax it. Being what it is and having had numerous RV's and a boat, you have to expect a few repairs along the way. But it's worth every penny I spent on it to me.
I just spent 4 hours polishing ours, got 2/3rds of one side done and I didn't even wash it first since the rig can't be wet when using DWG.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #23

For videos YOUTUBE! It's all free, except the electricity needed. Lots of good vids on there.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
If it's used, it can be great one day, and then the next minute things can go bad. There's no reason they should last for "the first few days."
The RV doesn't know it just got bought, and isn't told to "behave" for you until you forget where you bought it. It's a man made house on a truck.
Unfortunately, it broke after you became the owner. That means, that part didn't break for the last owner, and maybe they thought it was the best RV ever.

Yes or the previous owners unloaded the rig because of the problems and did not disclose them to the new owner.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:03 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Yes or the previous owners unloaded the rig because of the problems and did not disclose them to the new owner.
AWWW Come on!! NO one would ever do that!!
We were told the previous owner of our Magna wanted a Prevost but I'm beginning to think he unloaded it because of the repair history! So far I've found several handwritten notes about people to call for replacement parts. Now, I know the place we bought it from (Premier RV in Junction City) had no idea about the repairs since they never had the manual box till the day we bought it. Luckily it came in just before we picked it up.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #26
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted E View Post
Congrats on your RV, hang in there, soon you will have all the bugs worked out.
Ha, I hate to be a sceptic, but I had my coach for 2 years. It was always in the shop for something.

$17,000 later, the bugs kept coming. With my luck, the fuel pump or rad would be next. I wasn't waiting for the next big bill and it wasn't if.....it was when.

I sold it, bought a new diesel truck (with a warranty I didn't have to pay for) and a 5th wheel.

Now, finally, the enjoying camping can start and I can walk without my butt puckering every time I use it!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:29 PM   #27

For what its worth, every NEW coach has multiple problems during the shakedown period. If you bought the extended warranty, NICE!!!! Let them pay for the problems you inherited. I bought one for my diesel pusher and, even after all the battles, they have paid for most of the problems that occurred after warranty expired. Best of luck....we all feel your pain. But hang in there. As has already been said, a few pains in the donkey are worth the benefits of having a coach.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:35 AM   #28

Im with dogpatch if I had a truck I would trade the motorhome for a fith wheel in a heartbeat. If we were retired and had the time to deal with breakdowns I might feel differently.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote