Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #1

Currently I park my 33 footer in the driveway. Soon I'll be getting a new rig, either 37'7" or 40'8" depending on which I decide on. They are both 50 Amp service. My current one is 30 Amp and I plug in to house current with an adapter. Due to the new MH's size it won't fit in my Driveway. I will keep it at the far side of my yard, and I may put in a pad or crushed stone. I was thinking of ruuning an outlet out there underground. I gather I'll just have to add a 50 amp breaker in my box? Has anyone else done this? Is it worth the effort? Do you keep your rigs plug in all the time? Any advice would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #2

Currently I park my 33 footer in the driveway. Soon I'll be getting a new rig, either 37'7" or 40'8" depending on which I decide on. They are both 50 Amp service. My current one is 30 Amp and I plug in to house current with an adapter. Due to the new MH's size it won't fit in my Driveway. I will keep it at the far side of my yard, and I may put in a pad or crushed stone. I was thinking of ruuning an outlet out there underground. I gather I'll just have to add a 50 amp breaker in my box? Has anyone else done this? Is it worth the effort? Do you keep your rigs plug in all the time? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
You could add a 50 amp double breaker to your house's breaker box assuming you have the physical space to put it in there and that there is adequate electrical power available in your service. You'll need to use 6/3 cable with a ground wire out to the pad's 50 amp receptacle. Basically, you're running a 220v circuit, the MH will use each leg separately as two 110v circuits with 50 amps available on each. (Read expensive.)

Unless you're planning to run both air conditioners at the same time while parked at home, you probably could get by with a 30 amp circuit and use an adapter for the MH. Most of the time all of the RV's systems aren't used at home requiring a lower power requirement.

It's your call, but if it were me I'd bite the bullet and put in a 50 amp system. Long after you forget how much it cost, you'll still be appreciating having adequate power for any contingency.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TCayer, I have a similar issue as yourself. My old MH was 30 amp, while my newer one is 50. I had a 30 amp box installed shortly after we moved here six years ago (I didn't have room at the time in my panel for any additional breakers).

Luckily my newer MH barely fits. I leave the MH hooked up all the time, and use the A/C and etc. when cleaning or packing/unpacking. While the 30 amp service is fine most of the time, there are times that I wish I had 50 amp service. I can run both A/C's on 30 amp, but I can't add the electric water heater to the mix, which I need for cleaning. I can run it on propane, but I prefer to use the electric.

I had a larger electrical panel installed recently after having a spa put in, so now I have room. I will be switching over to 50 amp service soon, solely based on what I described above. If you don't think you'll ever need to run that much at one time, 30 amp should be fine. But if it were me and I was running new service, I'd just go with 50 amp.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #5

TCayer: This might help you. http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/electric3.htm
Old 07-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #6

Roger- awesome link- thanks!

Hitch- when you say 'expensive' do you mean installation or power consumption? (Or Both!?)
Old 07-03-2007, 03:10 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Installation, the 6/3 with ground wire for underground use may be almost $4 per foot.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:29 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
I installed full hook up for our rig. Power, water and sewer. We live in hurricane alley, so if power goes out in the house, we have gen power to the rig, and still have water and sewer. It also makes a good "guest house" for visiting family members.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:40 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have a service pedestal next to our RV pad and it has the following services:

<LI> 50 A RV Plug
<LI> 20 A RV Plug (separate GFCI circuit)
<LI> Telco RJ-11
<LI> CATV "or" Direct TV
<LI> Water service (connected to the outlet side of the meter in the front lawn.)
<LI> Sewer Connection (into our septic)

There is a 6 position (Square D) plastic weather proof service panel on the side of the house with underground conduit to the pedestal approx 14 feet away. This panel also provides a 2P-30A 220V circuit out to my shed (125 ft away) which runs all the pool equipment. The panel is backed up from my main service panel with a 2P-60A breaker. I have several breakers in the outside panel - some twin'ed from a 2P-50 to a 1P-20. Not all the loads on the panel are on at the same time so the installation works well for my purposes.

All electrical connections (except the 50A) are enclosed in weather proof boxes and have "In Use" covers. I purchased to 50A electrical box from CW here in Myrtle Beach. The construction was accomplished when we were building the house as an "Extra". The pad is 4,000 psi reinforced concrete, 40' x 14'.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
6/3???

If you're wiring with 6/3 you're wiring a 50 amp appliance/dryer outlet. You need 4 conductor for a 50 amp RV outlet.

"DO NOT CONFUSE the 50-amp 4 wire 120/240-volt (14-50R) Service with the OLD APPLIANCE 50-amp (10-50R) 3 wire 120/240-volt service."

"The 50-amp service has 4 wires with two 120-volt HOT feeds. It is a misconception that the 50-amp RV service is something special. This service is a STANDARD 120/240 50-amp 3 pole with 4 prongs used for numerous applications.

"Parts needed to install.
1 DOUBLE POLE 50-amp 120/240-volt Breaker
1 14-50 Receptacle and
2 (HOT), 1 White (Neutral) and 1 Ground"

"Wire size requirements for 50-amp: 25 feet - #8, 50 feet - # 6 and 100 feet - #4"

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">6/3???

If you're wiring with 6/3 you're wiring a 50 amp appliance/dryer outlet. You need 4 conductor for a 50 amp RV outlet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about 6/3 with a ground?

However, you are correct that 4 conductors are required.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #12

Those of you that have the "full" hook-ups at their MH pad, thanks for the idea. I'll be building a detached garage behind my house in the near future and planned on putting a pad for the MH next to it with just elec hook-up. I didn't even think about putting water and a sewer drop. Guess I'll be altering the plans tonight!!

07 Four Winds Hurricane 34B
ocfd_179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #13

When I put my RV pad in, my fifth wheel only required a 30 amp service. I now have a MH so I wish, of course, that I had put in a 50 amp service.

I have sewer and water at the pad but will probably not upgrade to 50 amp. However, if you are in the planning or initial installation stage, I would highly recommend putting in 50 amp service even if you don't need it now. Otherwise, you'll be later.

Ed

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:36 AM   #14

WE can keep our motorhome on the side of the house which makes it really easy to get to. We added a 30amp to the side of the house and use the plug regularly. IF the power goes out we hop in and start the generator and throw the air on with TV and stay cool and entertained. We also put in crushed gravel and will eventually pour a cement drive for it.