Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
RV (house) heater problem

Hi, I have a 1996 Pace Arrow equipped with an Atwood 8535 III DCLP heater. The problem with the heater is as follows. It started on a Thursday evening when I brought the RV home from storage to prepare for a weekend trip. I plugged it in at my house to cool the refridgerator down, and warm the cabin up. When the heater came on initially it did what I deem as nornal. It has a Fleetwood Electronic Climate Control (Intellitec) therostat. So Ias I recall the procedure is to place the selector on heat, after a brief period 30 to 45 seconds the system starts to run, fan blows etc. and it produces heat almost instantly. That evening as I went in and out of the unit loading and preparing it sometimes felt as though it were colder than it should have been, at other times it felt acceptable. In the morning when I went out to hook up the trailer and load motorcycles it felt warmer than the outside air albeit not by much. So Friday morning I shut everything off and proceed to my destination, come Friday evening it was forecasted to get down to around 34 degrees, I turned on the heater and it instantly fired up much as previously detailed, during the middle of the night I woke up absolutely frozen, the heater was running, or at least the fan was but it felt much like outside air, I went out side and poked around a bit, I opened the furnace cover, it was runing buy the exsaust was cold. I moved wires around and peered in with a flash light but it changed nothing. I went back inside and moved the switches on the thermostat about a bit and decided to put it back on and see what would happen. The furnace came back on and stayed lit, it worked perfectly the remainder of the night, it cycled off and on as it should have and functioned as it should have until I turned the heat off later Sat morning as the temps warmed. Saturday night was again a cold night, late in the evening as I prepared to go to sleep I turned on the furnace and went to sleep with heat, around 0200 in the morning I woke up to extreme cold, and the furnace blowing only cold air, I repeated the previous nights efforts with no luck. It remains as of now with out a heat source when placed in the heat position. The system comes on, the fan blows, and there is exsaust but it is all cold. I for the most part am clueless and am trying to avoid putting myself at the mercy of an RV repair facility. Any input that may lead in me off in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. There is plenty of fuel, the stove, the fridge, and the hot water heated appear to be fine, the heater won't exnite. I do not hear a snapping like an ignitor attempting to fire, I just hear the fan. Thanks in advance for your input.

YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've written an illustrated article on Furnace Troubleshooting that may be of some help. It's in the FILES section of this site.

iRV2 Forums - Files - RV Furnace Troubleshooting

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Thanks a lot Gary,
Still not sure if I can get this figured out or not, hopefully I will be able to. Thanks for the response and all of the great informantion, I am most grateful!
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Thanks Gary, great article.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
I had a simular problem years ago. I think vibration caused the pressure regular to change, you should have 11 inches of water pressure. If it is low it could be your problem.
Darwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks for the furnace file Gary. One of the repairs on my list.

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote