Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #1

Talking RV in the Philippines

I’m starting a business converting shipping containers into homes here in the Philippines. I’m thinking of bringing my 2004 Georgie boy over here to use as a home and office when I’m developing a subdivision. I’m getting used to the worst traffic in the world (even though I haven’t had the courage to try driving a car here yet) and I’m thinking 🤔 that the support from Georgie boy wouldn’t be any worse here. ????? Am I crazy to be the only RV in the Philippines?
flyingarmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingarmour View Post
I’m starting a business converting shipping containers into homes here in the Philippines. I’m thinking of bringing my 2004 Georgie boy over here to use as a home and office when I’m developing a subdivision. I’m getting used to the worst traffic in the world (even though I haven’t had the courage to try driving a car here yet) and I’m thinking 🤔 that the support from Georgie boy wouldn’t be any worse here. ????? Am I crazy to be the only RV in the Philippines?
What an interesting post! Have any pictures of the container to home concept?

If you are thinking about living in the motorhome, would it be better to ship over a trailer instead or maybe converting one of the shipping containers to a office/home?

Does the Philippines have an abundance of shipping containers, or are you going to have to import them?

Is it hot/muggy there, and will that adversely affect the Georgie Boy? Are you going to leave the Georgie Boy over there or ship it back?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Bigd9 brought up some interesting questions......

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #4

Starting business in Philippines

There are a lot of containers here. For the first step in developing a subdivision, you usually haul out a construction trailer, and go from there. I haven’t found trailers here yet nor any of the rest of what I would think of as infrastructure. I thought what the hell, haul over the Georgie and go from there.
The problem with bring over a 5th wheel, I think, is that I would have to bring my truck as well cause I don’t see trucks here that could pull one.
By the way, any body want to start a Craig’s list, eBay or allybaba? I don’t think those are here either
Old 09-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #5

If no infrastructure ....water, sewer, electric, roads.. how are you going to build and sell these units? Are there adequate building supplies available? Do you have to obtain building permits? How hard is it to work with the government there? Having spent my first career in road construction supervision, I know it takes a lot of supply support to get anything done.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #7

If I understand correctly, you haven't driven a car in the Philippine traffic, but want to try it in a motorhome? I drove a car through Mexico City once and I would never attempt that in a MH.
I would think a more practical option would be to convert a shipping container into a office and have it moved to different locations as needed. How about Face Book, they already have "Marketplace" for selling items.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingarmour View Post
If you do make sure you have a loud air horn
Old 09-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
If you do make sure you have a loud air horn
We spent a week in Manila last year. 5 lanes of traffic which the drivers themselves had expanded to 7 or 8, cars and trucks cutting in everywhere, total gridlock everywhere but we did not hear one horn the entire time. Everyone seemed to accept the crazy traffic as the norm.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #10

Go for it and let us know how it goes.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:16 PM   #11

The crazy traffic makes sense!

Spent 5 hrs yesterday traveling around 20 miles in a bus. Definitely you don’t want to be anywhere near Manila traffic . But, if you have to get around here, the liability laws make it all work: if I hit you.... I pay. If you pull out in front of me and cut me off, I may be “right” but if I hit you, I pay. After the third or forth time of being “right” and paying for someone else’s classic 63.67.74 Datsun,Toyota Jeep, (that’s a single vehicle by the way) even someone as slow as me (I may be slow, but I’m stupid) figures out that I maybe need to drive differently. In Idaho I see 2 or three wrecks a week. This meant that someone had to go searching for another car to hit. In Manila, with 6 million cars, I have not seen a single wreck!
They may be the worlds most aggressive and best drivers
Old 09-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Took a Victory Liner bus ride between Olongapo City and Manila once (mid 1980's). Had to close my eyes a few times between the near head on accidents or how close the driver was to the drop off.

Beyond driving not sure how long a 2004 Georgie Boy will last in the very tropical environment. The US Gulf Coast might be comparable but I don't know. Pretty easy to head on down to the local RV service center to pick up a roll of sealing tape when you have a roof leak but what are you going to do halfway around the world? I think you might be better off mounting a converted shipping container on a rigid frame Fuso truck.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #13

Hmmmm,! Not a bad idea to mount a container on a fuso. I like it. Thanks
Old 09-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #14

As cheap as labor is over there convert a strage container and just have it hauled and dropped at each site.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote