Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Myrtle Beach has always been against motorcycles. They just want the $$ during bike week. I went there twice a year since the mid-80s but last fall was my last visit. If you are looking for beaches go south lot nicer beaches and friendlier campgrounds.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #44

The problem with motorcycles is the noise. They are much louder than diesel engines and make us angry. Put a muffler on the damned thing and then you will be welcome.
Until they they make less noise, I will campaign to keep them out of campgrounds and off the roads.

There are city ordinances about not allowing exhaust brakes because of their noise, which make much less noise than a motorcycle, but all seem to allow motorcycles to disturb as they please.
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Really has nothing to do with the noise it has to do with folks like you !!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #46

Wil01, it is engine brakes NOT exhaust brakes that are banned in a few towns. Also not all motorcycles are noisy. I have had a BMW and now ride a Kawasaki which are as quiet as most cars. It is mostly Harleys that cause the reaction you have as owners put on aftermarket exhausts that make them so loud. I wish the police would enforce the db levels so all motorcyclists are not seen as objectionable. I am with you on that.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #47

Most pipes are not that loud unless the rider really wants them to be, I have about the biggest harley you can get with pipes and a hop up and at low speed it is real tame. But any site not allowing bikes will loose business in the long run but there choice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2556602368.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	621.4 KB
ID:	35787
AkDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I doubt campgrounds that don't allow bikes actually loose any business. What they loose in obnoxiously loud traffic they gain in guests that enjoy the quite. Since the bulk of RV owners don't ride, I think it's safe to say that their business actually goes up. Except during events like Sturgis, Daytona, and Laconia. But that's still only 1 of 52 weeks a year.

Guys put loud pipes on their bike for one reason only and that is not to see how quietly they can idle down the road. Rarely will you see one slowly pull away from a stop light if their riding with their friends. Most often it becomes a competition to see who cal get full throttle into 3rd or 4th before they let off the gas for the next stop. It's all about look at me, I'm riding a Harley. If you're not sure look at my tee shirt, my Jacket, my gloves, my wallet, my Do rag, my boots, they all have the Harley Davidson logo
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #49

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
The problem with motorcycles is the noise. They are much louder than diesel engines and make us angry. Put a muffler on the damned thing and then you will be welcome.
Until they they make less noise, I will campaign to keep them out of campgrounds and off the roads.

There are city ordinances about not allowing exhaust brakes because of their noise, which make much less noise than a motorcycle, but all seem to allow motorcycles to disturb as they please.
Really? You're willing to condemn all riders for the actions of a few? For one thing, all road worthy bikes already have mufflers, which meet federal standards just like all motor vehicles, so let's not make such a broad statement eh? It's true there are bikers who put after-market pipes that are too loud, too obnoxious, and even annoy other bikers as much as they annoy you.

But making such a broad statement of condemnation is no more valid then saying that all RV drivers are morons because a minority drive like a turtle on the turnpike.

Campgrounds can do what they want, that's there business, and even as a avid biker I wouldn't begrudge them that right. I'll just move down the highway to some place else.

Please, give it a break and stop painting everyone with such a broad brush.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
x 2 my guess is he is one of the haters that try to hurt motorcyclist by cutting them off and pulling out in front of them The very best people I know ride and are very safe and abide by all rules. They contribute and take care of children in hospitals collect toys for poor children visit hospitals and the list goes on. wil01 i'm sure does nothing for anyone and probably is a menace to all bikers.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #51

It is not just bikers being sensitive to cager's cutting us off. I see cager's trying to keep bikes from changing lanes tailgating very aggressive driving. It's not the pipes cause this bike is stock.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #52

I am personally happy to be seeing the snowbirds and their terrible ability to drive leaving thie state. I ride almost daily and the the older crowd just act as they either don't know how to drive, or don't care if they kill you or not. Seems lots of motor homes and cars are also not being built with turn signals either.
I ride a Harley that is fairly quiet, but I'd rather deal with a slightly loud motorbike that a blind blue hair.
Mrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #53

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkng88 View Post
x 2 my guess is he is one of the haters that try to hurt motorcyclist by cutting them off and pulling out in front of them The very best people I know ride and are very safe and abide by all rules. They contribute and take care of children in hospitals collect toys for poor children visit hospitals and the list goes on. wil01 i'm sure does nothing for anyone and probably is a menace to all bikers.
Please let me publicly say I didnt mean this to turn ugly. And by know means do I have any reason to believe he, or others with that view, are haters per se. Uneducated about bikers perhaps, ignorant of the mandated safety training, and maybe there are medical issues that effect his hearing that makes it uncomfortable for him personally. my point is simply don't judge an entire group by the actions of a few.

Just as much a point as saying let us all not assume someone is a vile, ignorant hater, just because he had the courage to speak his own view.

If any took my comment in another way. . .that falls under "oops"

Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #54

If it's too loud your too old sometimes can be a true statement. Some people as they get older forget the exuberance of youth and become less tolerant of so many things.

I don't want guys running straight pipes running up and down for hours at a time, but I'm pretty tolerant of noise. Kids playing, dogs barking, some noise is to be expected. Same for bikes and Hot Rods. It's all about being respectful of others rights to peace and quiet vs. a bike riding into camp.

Now if you want to run a cheap Harbor Freight generator next to me night and day I will start to become a little testy.
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #55

I think that what irked me was at the time I was driving my old Blue Bird and I had a Vincent Black Shadow motor cycle.....the RV park was a dump.......at that point in my life I understood that I did not need to put up with DUMB.....so I avoid it and never ever drive back east of I 25 .....I now boondock and do as I please with my motor cycle, RV
Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #56

Any photos of the black shadow
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote