Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgr81 View Post
If it's too loud your too old sometimes can be a true statement. Some people as they get older forget the exuberance of youth and become less tolerant of so many things.

I don't want guys running straight pipes running up and down for hours at a time, but I'm pretty tolerant of noise. Kids playing, dogs barking, some noise is to be expected. Same for bikes and Hot Rods. It's all about being respectful of others rights to peace and quiet vs. a bike riding into camp.

Now if you want to run a cheap Harbor Freight generator next to me night and day I will start to become a little testy.
I like the generator part

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #58

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkng88 View Post
Really has nothing to do with the noise it has to do with folks like you !!
I think it is the noise .

Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #59

It's the noise
Old 03-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #60

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't buy it's because of the noise. The sound of gas driven lawn mowers, leaf blowers, weed wackers, trimmers and tree saws are equally loud and lasts a lot longer.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #61

Ford Super Duty Owner
Loud pipes simply say "Look at me!"[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I'm after while riding here in central FL. As far as I'm concerned, it reduces my chances of being a victim of the "I just didn't see the motorcycle" excuse.

I've been living in a 55+ community for over 10 years and have not received one complaint about the sound of my bike either from neighbors or park management. This is easy to achieve if you practice common courtesy. I don't ride in and out or around the community at WOT. I would do the same at any campground.

Lastly, a lot of cages (pickups, "street racers", etc.) with their aftermarket exhausts are more obnoxious than my bike.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have taken my Harley trike to many campgrounds and never had a problem.Can't understand what the issue would be?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
The problem with motorcycles is the noise. They are much louder than diesel engines and make us angry. Put a muffler on the damned thing and then you will be welcome.
Until they they make less noise, I will campaign to keep them out of campgrounds and off the roads.

There are city ordinances about not allowing exhaust brakes because of their noise, which make much less noise than a motorcycle, but all seem to allow motorcycles to disturb as they please.
Turn your hearing aid down
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #64

I have ridden bikes since before I was old enough for a driver’s license. I have ridden Harleys for decades. I have never owned one that I did not do extensive performance upgrades to. Those upgrades ALWAYS involved a performance exhaust. And though I dearly love the sound of drag pipes, they are such poor performers that I’ve only had one Harley with them on it. That being said, even if I had drag pipes on my bike, I dare say I could enter or leave any CG without offending anyone.

Although I love the camaraderie of the Harley “family”, I’d be lying if I did not say that family contains some of the rudest, most obnoxious and inconsiderate folks one could ever meet. Without commenting on what percentage those folks comprise of the total Harley community, THEY are the ones who spawn motorcycle rules in any campground. And they are not folks I would want living in my neighborhood. My present neighbor runs drag pipes on his Harley, but is a good, responsible person who has never once broken the peace and quiet of our home. And my personal bike, although really quick (if ANY Harley can be really quick—LOL) is very little louder than a Gold Wing.

There are many MH owners who are rude and inconsiderate. But without a loud motorcycle, they may go largely unnoticed. As much as I dislike the motorcycle restrictions at some CG’s, I cannot fault the CG owners. I fault my (mostly Harley) brethren who choose not to be good camping neighbors. Clean up your act, Harley riders! YOU are causing ME problems. Lots of folks in CG’s are asleep by 10PM, and are rightfully annoyed at the unnecessary noise you make. The Constitution of this country grants you the right to ride any bike you like, and dress and appear as outrageously as you choose, but not to be a public annoyance.

Van W. 93 Dynasty that does not wander, pulling one Harley.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
The problem with motorcycles is the noise. They are much louder than diesel engines and make us angry. Put a muffler on the damned thing and then you will be welcome.
Until they they make less noise, I will campaign to keep them out of campgrounds and off the roads.

There are city ordinances about not allowing exhaust brakes because of their noise, which make much less noise than a motorcycle, but all seem to allow motorcycles to disturb as they please.
Turn down your hearing aid
Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
vanwil are you sure you own a Harley ? I find most bikers to be very considerate but then again I don't hang with the 1 % ers !! 99 % of all bikers regardless of what brand they ride are some of the best citizens in this country. Don't give bikers a bad name for just a few believe me campgrounds that don't allow bikes has nothing to do with noise !! I know I'm an expert I've been riding since 1963 and presently own three bikes.

2012 Harley Ultra Classic Limited and yes performance pipes

2010 Honda Fury Chopper and yes performance pipes

1998 Honda CBR 1100 XX BlackBird and yes performance pipes

I also have three bicycles all with performance pipes

Loud pipes saves my wife's life !! she rides with me
Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #67

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, Vanwill and I seem to share the same history so I can testify to the validity of his statements.

I'll agree that a lot of the guys riding Harleys are good natured, it's the pack mentality that seems to flush their common sense down the toilet.

I've ridden with them all in my lifetime and the thing about the 1% is that they're at least consistent, whereas 90% are showing off or just trying to be something they're not, then the remaining 8% act normal and aren't trying to fit in.

In my youth I acted irresponsibly and had the pipes to prove it. I was profiled by the police when we rode in packs and most certainly deserved it. Thankfully I did that as a kid and didn't have anything left to prove once I grew up. Now I ride a sewing machine because I enjoy doing 400 mile days without having to worry about having to clean it or fix it.

My wife rides with me and relies on my skills and highly tuned sense of situational awareness to keep her safe. Depending on someone to hear me coming isn't in my play book, I prefer to put my trust in talent.

I always have my bike with me so if a CG operator bans me, so be it. I'll suck it up and live with the fact that I'm painted with the same brush as my brothers.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #68

Why is it always Harley's yes I still play but only were its ok but we have been woke up and have been antagonized by my share of sport bikes. They seem to like to show off for the old guys. And I get it I was one but don't punish us all for the problems of the few.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #69

The presentation of a motorcycle by the rider is a lot like "Darwin". Older riders with no issues just seem to outlast the younger folk who by their own bad judgement get picked off BEFORE they learn life skills that insure their survival in the "pack"....It is like aviation ...."there are bold pilots and old pilots but never OLD AND BOLD pilots. Which must mean that when we experience a 65+ rider trying to be an audio statement it is a case of arrested development on display....the unfortunate fact is that the rider has no doubt already polluted the gene pool prior to being picked off.....
Old 04-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toussaint View Post
The presentation of a motorcycle by the rider is a lot like "Darwin". Older riders with no issues just seem to outlast the younger folk who by their own bad judgement get picked off BEFORE they learn life skills that insure their survival in the "pack"....It is like aviation ...."there are bold pilots and old pilots but never OLD AND BOLD pilots. Which must mean that when we experience a 65+ rider trying to be an audio statement it is a case of arrested development on display....the unfortunate fact is that the rider has no doubt already polluted the gene pool prior to being picked off.....
I have meet few people in my life that I wouldn't share the wind with and I just found another. To bad you are most likely a good guy that just let his fingers override his a$$.
I lost a good friend ten years ago. He was 19 and was killed on his bike by a lady that saw him. They made eye contact but as she said it just didn't register and at the last second she turned left in front of him. She got a 45 dollar ticket for failure to yield. I'm sure with all your years of experience and super natural powers you would have avoided her but he didn't and I can assure you the world is not a better place with him gone and it would have been wonderful if he could have "added to the gene pool. I still ride with his dad. In fact I crashed last year at 65 mph on the xway. I guess my skills aren't as good as yours but I've been riding a good long time and I can say with out a doubt in my mind that I was just plain lucky to be alive.
I will withhold what I really think of your post.