Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #1

RV Insurance VS Auto Insurane

We just purchased a used 200 National RV. I called my auto insurance guy and he added the MH to our existing policy. We have to fly to Washington State to pick up the RV. We will drive it back to MN. Is the auto insurance policy enough coverage for this road trip? We are not going to be fulltimers for another couple of years.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #2

Don't know what your policy limits are but remember an RV can cause quite a lot of damage so make sure your liabilty limits are high. You should take a look at an RV policy instead of adding it an auto policy. I know my Progressive policy premium is partially based on how many miles I expect to drive it in a year. It also has pet coverage, and perhaps a few more RV specific differences.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Additionally you might want to consider road side assistance/towing... especially if it's a used coach you don't know much about.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I always recommended my customers to buy from a motorhome company. I usually recommended Progressive. I did not make money on the policys, I just had good luck working with them. The auto guys weren't bad are crooked, they just didn't know beans about motorhomes. They were always way low on estimates and harder to deal with.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #5

I would also suggest the towing/roadside assist coverage if your company has it. You might also want to look at Good Sam Club's T/RA or Coach Net. They are used to dealing with motor home issues and size factors that add on's to your policy may not cover, or AAA for that matter. Used mine 3 times in four years and it has paid for itself.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

An automotive policy excludes things that are common to RVs, so you would not have coverage on a lot of things if you had an accident. The liability part is fine and the basic collision too as far as body is concerned, but most everything in the "house" would probably be excluded. For example, in a fire the entire interior would be destroyed, but your appliances, tvs, etc. would probably not be covered. ASk your agent about things like that. Better yet, insist that the coach be covered by a motorhome-specific policy.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I always recommended my customers to buy from a motorhome company. I usually recommended Progressive. I did not make money on the policys, I just had good luck working with them. The auto guys weren't bad are crooked, they just didn't know beans about motorhomes. They were always way low on estimates and harder to deal with.
I would NOT recommend Progressive for the following reason:
We had Progressive, no claims, and about three years of reducing deductibles. Had a rock break the windshield of the Jeep. Found a local outfit that would replace it for $154 in my driveway. Called Progressive to find out how much it would cost going through them. They ABSOLUTELY refused to give me any information till I said (as coached) "I want to file a claim". The quote was almost $400. I told them to cancel the claim (as they said I could). What they didn't say was that I lost the reducing deductible and my rates went up. When I went shopping for other companies Progressive told them that there was a claim on my record of $0 to $1000. They didn't bother to say it was 0. When I found out I contacted the State Insurance Comm., they said it was legal but certainly not ethical.

We now have GMAC.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
+1 on the GMAC insurance through Good Sam.

For emergency road service Coach Net has a good reputation for Class A motor homes.

RV Life Magazine - Coach-Net / National Motor Club |

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:27 AM   #9

I think itís better to get RV insurance policy. Auto insurance coverage is just not adequate considering the potential for damage and loss. If your looking for providers, Iíve had my MH insured with The Hartford from day one, and theyíve always been good about keeping rates low and taking care of any claims and issues ASAP. You can get RV insurance quotes online for free from them, so hit them up.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer
An automotive policy excludes things that are common to RVs, so you would not have coverage on a lot of things if you had an accident. The liability part is fine and the basic collision too as far as body is concerned, but most everything in the "house" would probably be excluded. For example, in a fire the entire interior would be destroyed, but your appliances, tvs, etc. would probably not be covered. ASk your agent about things like that. Better yet, insist that the coach be covered by a motorhome-specific policy.
Ditto. Car is a car. Even if you are transporting household goods in your car they try to kick it to your homeowners. A policy for RVs is much better for coverage and matching coverage limits.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #11

I got online quotes from Geico, Progressive, Farm & City, AARP(Hartford), GMAC and of course my current insurance (ANPAC). ANPAC does have RV insurance and i suppose because I have all of my other vehicles insured with them, the premium was really reasonable. I also joined Good Sam Emergency Road Service. So when I fly out to WA and drive my 2005 National RV Dolphin LX back to MN I should be pretty well covered. When We go full timing in a couple of years, we'll have re-visit the RV insurance issue.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #12

Good Luck to you guys and keep us posted on the "many" adventures you will be experiencing RV'ing.

Tags
insurance