Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #15
RVM1
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 12,902
Blog Entries: 1
RV Issue - Pretty Sure it's the Fuel Pump

My shop said "it's the pump".
I said "filter first".
I won. Filter done DIY for under 20 bucks.
I drove it another 10 years before trading it.
Before you open your wallet, try the cheap thing.
__________________

__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
My shop said "it's the pump".
I said "filter first".
I won. Filter done DIY for under 20 bucks.
I drove it another 10 years before trading it.
Before you open your wallet, try the cheap thing.
We are leaning this way. I am going to try to figure out where the fuel filter is located on our RV tonight and go from there.

Thank you again,

Benjamin Ehinger
__________________

__________________
Living and Loving Life Across the Country.
www.LiveSmallandWander.com
behing19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
powderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: N. E. Ohio & Lady Lake Fl.
Posts: 714
I didn't see where you stated if you have roadside towing insurance. If not now is the right time to get it in case you can't get it to start if you need to take it in for repair

Changing the filter sounds like a good idea, especially if you don't know when it was last changed. I am not sure if that year has an ODBII connector. If it does I would have someone put a code reader on it instead of just guessing. It may even be possible to read what pressure the pump is operating at.

I hope you get it solved with spending an arm and a leg.
__________________
Ron WD8CBT

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
I didn't see where you stated if you have roadside towing insurance. If not now is the right time to get it in case you can't get it to start if you need to take it in for repair

Changing the filter sounds like a good idea, especially if you don't know when it was last changed. I am not sure if that year has an ODBII connector. If it does I would have someone put a code reader on it instead of just guessing. It may even be possible to read what pressure the pump is operating at.

I hope you get it solved with spending an arm and a leg.
We do have roadside through Good Sam, which gives us a free tow to the nearest shop, if necessary.

Thank you,

Benjamin Ehinger
__________________
Living and Loving Life Across the Country.
www.LiveSmallandWander.com
behing19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:38 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Podivin's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 429
Look at it this way, changing the filter can't be WRONG. It may not fix the current problem, but ultimately it won't be money wasted (and it doesn't cost much anyway).

This may be obvious, but I'm going to say it anyway. When you find the filter that's 'hidden' in the frame, you'll find yourself laying under the filter to change it. There WILL be gas comes out when you break open that line. Be sure and be as much off to one side as possible when you do that so you don't wear any more than necessary. Especially protect your eyes.
__________________
1996 Fleetwood Southwind 34'
Podivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 68
Changing the filter FIRST is great advice! IF the pump is loud even after that, do your best to get the pump swapped at the first chance and don't end up like me in March and yes I did the filter the first time it gave me issues then drove it to FL and part way back to upstate NY (southern Canada) before spending three nights waiting for a tow on an off ramp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	on the hook.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	138874  
__________________
2001 Damon Challenger, 7.4l gas

The normally frozen tundra of the Thousand Islands area in NY.
bigjim1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Damon Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North Florida
Posts: 278
You should be able to hear the pump run when you first turn the key on and the pump should run for 20 to 30 second then shut off if motor does not start. The fuel filter will demonstrate the same symptoms as a faulty pump.
__________________
Mark & Shana Miller
2008 Tuscany 4072 DP
Go Gators
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:05 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Look at it this way, changing the filter can't be WRONG. It may not fix the current problem, but ultimately it won't be money wasted (and it doesn't cost much anyway).

This may be obvious, but I'm going to say it anyway. When you find the filter that's 'hidden' in the frame, you'll find yourself laying under the filter to change it. There WILL be gas comes out when you break open that line. Be sure and be as much off to one side as possible when you do that so you don't wear any more than necessary. Especially protect your eyes.
I found the filter in the frame, as you stated. Now, do I just unscrew the two ends, remove it, replace with new and tighten? Is there anything I should be aware of, other than the gas that will come out?

I have included a picture of it and just want to make sure I am getting the right thing before I move forward with placing the order. Our VIN number pulls us up as 1998 Chevy P30 7.4L V8 Gas. Here are a couple of filters I found on Amazon (fastest and cheapest shipping I could find).

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-GF652...ds=fuel+filter

https://www.amazon.com/Pentius-PFB33...ds=fuel+filter

https://www.amazon.com/Purolator-Gro...ds=fuel+filter

I believe any of the three will work, but just want to check before ordering and having it on the way.

Thank you for all your help,

Benjamin Ehinger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160913_234226.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	138898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160913_234244.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	138899  

__________________
Living and Loving Life Across the Country.
www.LiveSmallandWander.com
behing19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:17 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,924
The smaller nut is pretty easy to round off.

If you can beg borrow or steal, a " line wrench " should be used on it. They do a better job of gripping the nut.

Are you anywhere near Syracuse ?
__________________
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:20 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,924
They look like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1473830418920.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	138904  
__________________
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:11 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
adamfolger's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by behing19 View Post
Was it pretty easy to change? I am pretty handy, but with an RV that is also our home, I can be a bit hesitant to try to do things myself.

Thank You,

Benjamin Ehinger
You can do it your self. It is prob on the pass side frame rail. get the numbers off it and call the parts store for availability. You may need a special tool to remove it from the clip bracket. Ask the parts store about that. It will show on the parts computer if needed. Come to think about it , the p32 chassis prob wont need the tool, but ask anyway. My sister had the same issues last March in Flagstaf. I changed the fuel filter, no better. Shop dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump. Ran 1,000 to home.
__________________
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:18 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
adamfolger's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Posts: 943
Behing19, I type too slow. Your post 22 is right on...but I think it is the pump. Let us know if you get it fixed.
__________________
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:32 AM   #27
JFN
Member


 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 45
Other possibilities, Crash switch, relay, and fuse.
__________________
2006 28' Durango 5th wheel
2006 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
KK6CWA
JFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
You can do it your self. It is prob on the pass side frame rail. get the numbers off it and call the parts store for availability. You may need a special tool to remove it from the clip bracket. Ask the parts store about that. It will show on the parts computer if needed. Come to think about it , the p32 chassis prob wont need the tool, but ask anyway. My sister had the same issues last March in Flagstaf. I changed the fuel filter, no better. Shop dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump. Ran 1,000 to home.
I am hoping to avoid the fuel pump repair, but we shall see. Going to order the filter today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Behing19, I type too slow. Your post 22 is right on...but I think it is the pump. Let us know if you get it fixed.
Thank you for the confirmation. Just like to double check these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFN View Post
Other possibilities, Crash switch, relay, and fuse.
Checked the fuse and it was fine. If there is a way to check the crash switch and relay, those will be next on my list if the fuel filter isn't the issue.

Thank you all for your help and advice,

Benjamin Ehinger
__________________

__________________
Living and Loving Life Across the Country.
www.LiveSmallandWander.com
behing19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuel


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel Pump relay and fuel pump fuse location? workhorse chassis engine 7.4l jimmpr10 Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 1 07-23-2013 08:36 AM
Pretty place in rural Texas taletellers Boondocking 1 05-10-2007 05:51 AM
Pretty spots along the way jimandsue60 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 11 04-22-2007 09:46 AM
Check this out, pretty wild cruisinmyrv iRV2.com General Discussion 4 03-09-2006 05:49 AM
It's pretty quiet in here... PhatFireMan Toy Haulers Discussion 5 09-05-2005 04:17 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.