Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2010, 07:19 AM   #29

batchler/Downsizer, I don't have any first hand experience with the pump systems but my suspicions, and your observations are confirmed by two people that I really feel sorry for;
betsy-tom (betsy-tom)'s Photos | SmugMug
look at the 'sani con is gone gallery'

yes the system was very badly installed BUT the physics of the thing cannot be changed, odors were a persistant problem until the darn thing fell off on them and they decided to go to this:

http://www.drainmaster.com/

Really the only thing I have alot of is common sense, draining the black tank very slowly has to allow waste to cling to the tank sides.

Don't get me wrong being able to pump a fair distance away could come in handy, but
the idea, in total, is dumb-to me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #30
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have a flush system for tank you need to use it to clean side walls.
Or a flush wand through toilet hole.

Those Rver's sure had some tough times with that coach never saw one so bad.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #31

When I use the macerator I drain the black tank With the valve still open and tne pump off I open the grey allowing it to go into the black.Then I close the grey and drain the black.Doing this a couple times cleans the black.Then I close the black and finish draining the grey.
BOB
Old 12-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #32

We use our sani-con all the time. Had to take it off one time and it was full of a gray/white grease. About a 1/4 inch thick on the drain line and inside the pump. Called Sani-con and after a long lecture about cleaning and draining tanks the bottom line was use a 1/2 cup of Dawn dish soap after each dump to cut the grease. No problem now. Gray tank does not need it because it gets detergent from the showers and dishes.
Joe and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe and Pam View Post
We use our sani-con all the time. Had to take it off one time and it was full of a gray/white grease. About a 1/4 inch thick on the drain line and inside the pump. Called Sani-con and after a long lecture about cleaning and draining tanks the bottom line was use a 1/2 cup of Dawn dish soap after each dump to cut the grease. No problem now. Gray tank does not need it because it gets detergent from the showers and dishes.
The permanently installed Sanicons would cause this kind of problem as well as getting hair wrapped around the impeller until it stops the macerator(something you definately do not want to happen). With the portables you can visually check each time you use it for any build up of grease or hair. I suspect the grease build up is from cooking grease being washed into the grey tank. It's also important when doing the dishes to use paper towels to clean off as much food and grease from the dishes and pans before you wash or you will have grease build up and more odor.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
I want to make it clear I do not dispute the use of the maceratori;; What I am saying it is not sewer septic tank or treatment plant friendly;; In the plants/septic systems the waste/grease float on top so the water is drawn from the bottom; when it is maceratered it is mixed up and the float procsess does not work;; Making the treatment process vary diffecult;It is a part of life people just schroug and say OH well;; Little do they know they are disrupting the system... Life is good; Someone does the dirty work;;
Old 12-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #35

We had one, right up to the point the motor failed, right after I pulled the black tank valve and watched the black contents flow to the motor and sit there motor humming but not pumping! I won't tell you the details of how I fixed the situation but it was indeed a crappy afternoon in AZ. You can't beat gravity, it won't fail. To be fair it did work well, until it didn't!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
I put a RV SaniCon on my Phaeton in 2006. It works well. Makes waste water management a lot easier and cleaner.
We had one installed when we bought our coach in '06. I carry an extra 21' hose for when I need extra length on the road. I also have the 40' hose which I need when, like today, I'm emptying the tanks at home.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghauler View Post
We had one, right up to the point the motor failed, right after I pulled the black tank valve and watched the black contents flow to the motor and sit there motor humming but not pumping! I won't tell you the details of how I fixed the situation but it was indeed a crappy afternoon in AZ. You can't beat gravity, it won't fail. To be fair it did work well, until it didn't!
The motor didn't fail if it was humming, the impeller was jammed with hair that winds around the shaft and if not removed from time to time it will stop the impeller. By using long handled long nose pliers you can keep this from happening.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are basically 3 systems I will talk about

Sewer Solution (I will explain why I don't like it)

Rv-Sanicon (which is functionally the same as)
Flo-Jet

Sewer solution: this is a "jet pump" it uses gallons and gallons and gallons of fresh clean water to power the pump.. Though it works well, it places a greatly increased load on the sewer system and wastes precious fresh water.. I do not like it for this reason.

Sani-con.. Sanicon makes two systems, one installed the other portable,, Basically the same thing save for a flex hose on the instealled version.. Read Flo-jet comments

I have the Flo-Jet portable with case linked to above.. And though I do not often use it (I prefer the speed of the 3") there have been occasions where the 3" was not practical for one reason or another. These include:
Hose failure
"hole in the ground" higher than outlet on MH
and "It's a long way, to the hole, it's a long way for stuff"

In all cases the Flo-Jet worked like a champ.. Saved the day.. I consider it one of the better things I've added to my rig and highly recommend either the Flo-Jet or the Sani-Con

NOTE: Flo-Jet makes pumps with both plastic and metal impellers.

It is my understand Sani-con does not make pumps.. They buy them from Flo-Jet.. They do, however, make housings.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have the portable FloJet with the plastic carry case. I only use it to dump at home into the sewer vent. This makes it possible to not have to find a dump station then not be able to use the holding tanks on the last leg of our journey home. Some day it may be handy in a situation where the sewer is in a too distant location for the slinky, uphill or just awkward location.

As far as becoming clogged. It has a few times but at the bottom there is a rubber cap. If I remove it a flat blade screw driver can be inserted to give a little elbow grease and get it unstuck. I believe it has a thermal switch or something to shut it off if it gets jammed because after clearing and a few minutes it will go right back to work.

A couple of hints. It can blow any auto fuse I have tried so I connect it to a jump start pack without a fuse. It is a good idea each time to try pumping some of the gray tank first just in case it will not work. Much less of a mess there though thankfully I have not had that pleasure.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #40

My motor stopped a couple times. When that happens I take my cordless screwdriver and spin the pump .Usually that clears the blockage enough to switch to grey.
BOB
Old 12-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #41

007, I identify with these people, we got taken years ago, though not nearly as bad as they: I have had flyers made up of the smug mug address site and we leave them everywhere we can think of, especially at the state park campgrounds we pass by, it is the least we can do for them.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #42

[QUOTE="Vegasdan"]
The motor didn't fail if it was humming, the impeller was jammed with hair that winds around the shaft and if not removed from time to time it will stop the impeller. By using long handled long nose pliers you can keep this from happening.[/QUOTE

Vegasdan,
You are correct, I should have added "motor failed to pump" the impeller was the issue (not hair, but a piece of floor tile that must have fallen into the black tank during manufacture finally making it's way to the pump after a long flushing two days before) but regardless of the cause once you have experienced this type of failure you are not eager to replacate it! I will stick with gravity.