Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #43
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Vegasdan
The motor didn't fail if it was humming, the impeller was jammed with hair that winds around the shaft and if not removed from time to time it will stop the impeller. By using long handled long nose pliers you can keep this from happening.[/QUOTE

You are correct, I should have added "motor failed to pump" the impeller was the issue (not hair, but a piece of floor tile that must have fallen into the black tank during manufacture finally making it's way to the pump after a long flushing two days before) but regardless of the cause once you have experienced this type of failure you are not eager to replacate it! I will stick with gravity.
I can imagine one would hesitate to have that happen again.

2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 03:32 AM   #44
Winnebago Owners Club

I have had 10 RV's and all I have ever done is lay out the sewer hose turn on the grey valve and camp. When it's time to leave the day before leaving I shut off the Gray valve. Continue to use water as normal. The day we leave I dump the Black (after filling it with water from the shower head) Dump the gray. Now the real question-----I have friends who have a Phoenix Cruiser with a MACERATOR sewer system. They do not lay out the sewer hose. They watch the grey and black tanks and when the grey is full they have to lay out the sewer hose and dump the grey. Then they put it back in the storage place. It also seems to take 2 people to do this. It sure seems like a lot of work to me. Every day checking the black and gray tanks.
Is this the proper way to use a MACERATOR system?

Beak12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:30 AM   #45
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use both a 3" and a Flo-Jet portable.. Frankly I like the 3" stinky slinky better for most dumps but there are times when it just does not cut it.

For example one place I actually had to dump UP HILL, no way can the 3" do that,, the Flo-Jet no problem at all

Another place... it's a long way, to the sewer hole, a long way, to run
(you can sing that line) and the 50' Black Rubber garden hose.. Just reached.. Yet another place I needed another 25 feet. (That one is gray but I was only dumping gray that day).

One thing to remember... If the pump sites long enough the pump (not the macerator but the pump) will size up.. on the bottom of the motor is a slotted shaft, Turn in the proper direction using any flat tool (Screwdriver, quarter, Key) and it will work just fine.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:48 AM   #46
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
One thing to remember... If the pump sites long enough the pump (not the macerator but the pump) will size up.. on the bottom of the motor is a slotted shaft, Turn in the proper direction using any flat tool (Screwdriver, quarter, Key) and it will work just fine.
I have found that any time I use our FloJet and it has not been in use for a while that turning that screw first will prevent burning out the fuse that is in the on/off switch handle so this is good advise. I keep an old screwdriver in the case just for that reason.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #47
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I've been using a SaniCon for 11 years now. Whenever this discussion comes up, you hear it won't clean the tank because there is no sudden whoosh to draw the debris out....well that sounds good, but really isn't true. Yes, you get pressure from a full tank, but when the tank gets down to the last 5-10 gallons it slows down and dribbles out with the heavy solids coming last. Are all of you that argue this, not using a sprayer or wand after using a 3" hose, I doubt it.

Someone here said that the SaniCon has no power to pull/pump. Guess what, mine has plenty of pressure/pumping power. It has as much pumping power, if not more than what's produced by a garden hose.

My favorite in this post....they're hazardous to septic systems.....really?? I've yet to camp at a campground in 40+ years that restricted macerator use or chemicals. Now if you dump at home and fear it will ruin your septic system, then don't buy one. If they are problematic to septic systems, we better ban EVERY bath and half RV being built because they ALL use macerator toilets.

Lastly, many just don't get the point that is being made by macerator users. Yes, yes, yes....the 3" hose will dump quicker and that's all everyone talks about. They NEVER talk about handling that 3" hose, holding it up and rinsing it while trying not to drip fluid on their shoes, or keep from getting flicked in the eye while coiling it up in a Tupperware.

Sometimes these discussions imply that macerator users all started their camping life with a macerator and never used a 3" hose. I used a 3" hose for over 25 years. I and many others find that the macerator systems are CLEANER! You never come near or touch anything wet. You disconnect from the drain and cap the 1" hose. The hose STAYS connected to the sewer and all fits on the bottom of the wet bay.

So.....there are only two arguments. 3" hose dumps faster, but you have to handle a dirty hose. SaniCon dumps slower, but you never touch anything waste related other than the campsite drain cap. In 11 years, mine has never left me stranded. The first unit I had for 10 years and replaced the impeller (available service kit) at the 5 year mark. For those with issues, I suspect they have issues with other items that require service.

Lastly, anyone who has never owned or used a macerator really doesn't have much to base an opinion on!

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote