Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #1

I had and metal RV Port installed a few weeks ago which I love but I have a problem today. I plugged my DS in today with standard outside cords to charge the batteries and check all systems out but when I put the key in the lock I was touching the RVPort that's where the kick comes in, what a jolt as I ground myself.I did the fast touch trick to be sure it was for real and sure enough a fast zing.I grabbed the voltmeter and I got a reading of 197 volt from lock to RVport what's up.I checked the cord and only getting 117 volts from it I'm hoping you electricians out there can help. Batteries will have to what till the the amord stays off. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #2

I had and metal RV Port installed a few weeks ago which I love but I have a problem today. I plugged my DS in today with standard outside cords to charge the batteries and check all systems out but when I put the key in the lock I was touching the RVPort that's where the kick comes in, what a jolt as I ground myself.I did the fast touch trick to be sure it was for real and sure enough a fast zing.I grabbed the voltmeter and I got a reading of 197 volt from lock to RVport what's up.I checked the cord and only getting 117 volts from it I'm hoping you electricians out there can help. Batteries will have to what till the the amord stays off. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #3

If your extension cord has 3 wires, it would appear there's an open somewhere in the ground wire. Could be in the cord, your house receptacle and/or somewhere inside the coach where your shore power cord connects to terminals on the coach.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #4

Lack of a ground is a secondary problem. The current should not be going to ground. Inspect the wiring carefully!

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Get the contractor and his electrician back ASAP. Sounds like somebody drove a screw through a wire or something.

I think recent building codes require that the frame of a building and even its concrete pad be grounded. Maybe your are hasn't adopted that level of code yet, though. It is designed to protect you from just that sort of thing. But a ground is not the solution - a pro has to trace down the source of the voltage.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #6

Sounds like you may have a twofold problem, with 197 volts between the two, The ground prong is probally missing from your extension cord, you have a short to ground in the RV, There is also another short to ground or to the RV port from another source. You did not say whether the RV port is wired for power and/or lights, Whether you have an 30 amp 120 volt or a 120/240 service to the RV. Be careful and turn off the power to the RV, but do not unplug it, carefully check again with your meter between the RV port and the RV. If it has dropped to 120 volts, then part of the problem is the RV. If the RV port does not have lights and power on it , the installers probally drove a hold down stake into a buried electric line. Is this at a residence or is it an RV park?
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #7

I should also mention that the RV port is also live to ground, take great care when working around it until you solve this issue.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:14 AM   #8

Bad gound but could be combined with a bad flouresent light balast. When they fail they will sometimes backfeed close to 200 volts back into the ground circuit.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:25 AM   #9

My RV PORT has no electric to it yet,this only happened when I powered up the rv. My Dutch Star has a 50 amp. service and I have no reading from the Rv to the port with out having it pluged in only with the cords hooked to it the gen set will not cause the problem. I checked the cords last night and one cord is old style with out grounding plug could this be the problem? I will be going out this morning to HD to get a single 12ga.cord with grounding plugs then I will see if the problem occurs. I will let all no by late am:
Old 06-24-2008, 02:35 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
The polarity is probably reversed on the cord that has no grounding device and the body of your coach is connected to the hot side of the line. If this is so, it's very lethal.... be careful.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:16 AM   #11

New cords same problem.I did a little checking and the problem is still there when all breakers are off so I think it must be in the direct point where it enters the coach at the wire into the transfer box or switch. I had the cover off the box and all the wires look to be clean with no abrasions there was one ground that it look to never had been clamp into ground housing so I fastened it in with no luck. I think I will have to find a RV electronics guy as I went as far as I can. But I'm still open for ideas. HOW can I get readings of almost 200 volts when there is only 120 volts going in ?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:32 AM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Does the receptacle where you plug the cord into test OK?

What is the amp rating of the receptacle?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:13 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Check the voltage from the steel on the RV port to neutral and ground in your shore power electrical recepticle - with the RV unplugged.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #14

RV port has no power source in it I'm hooked to house outlet when powering up RV.The cord coming from house has 117 volts yet if I test between RV port and metal on RV I get a reading between 195-200 volts ( hows that happen). Without powering up RV or with Gen Set running there is 0-3 volts reading on test.Well new cord and same problem.I did some checking and the problem is still there after knocking off all the breakers which tells me it has to be in the 50 amp. power line or some where in the transfer switch which all looks clean and all wires are tight, I don't see any wires which look to be rubbing the power box or worn. I think I have gone as far as a novice can go but still open for advice.
QUESTION: If 120 volts are coming in thru cord how do I get almost 200 volt on volt meter when crossing between RV port and metal on RV.