Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2006, 02:45 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Question for anyone on the forum about ac monitors. I've seen plug in meters and digital plug in monitors that you plug in to any rv circuit to monitor incoming voltage. My question is doesn't this just monitor that particular circuit and not give a true reading of the total rv??? Does anyone know where to purchase a good reasonibaly priced meter to check incoming voltage?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2006, 02:45 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Question for anyone on the forum about ac monitors. I've seen plug in meters and digital plug in monitors that you plug in to any rv circuit to monitor incoming voltage. My question is doesn't this just monitor that particular circuit and not give a true reading of the total rv??? Does anyone know where to purchase a good reasonibaly priced meter to check incoming voltage?

Old 09-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
If the circuit being monitored doesn't have a large load on it that creates a voltage drop in the cabling between the load and panel box, the voltage monitored should be virtually the same as at the panel.

Test this by plugging the monitor into various outlets inside the rig and then plug it into the CG post. If lower inside by a large amount there is a voltage drop across the circuit which may be a connection with high resistance or undersized wiring.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #4

The 120 volt circuits in an RV are wired in parallel and voltage in parallel circuits is basically the same in each branch circuit.

As Hitchiker mentioned, a heavy load on a branch can cause a voltage drop in that branch and cause a lower reading. Plug the meter into a couple of other receptacles if you suspect this.

Usually digital voltmeters are the more accurate.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:14 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Another option you can consider is one of the Surge and Voltage protection devices such as the Progressive Dynamics Surge Protector Both the 30 amp and 50 amp version (which I have) have a remote display panel that displays incoming voltage to the RV as well as all the possible errors that the unit protects from.

Since the remote panel is connected to the actual device by a long cord, you can put it anywhere you want in the RV and can glance at it to see the incoming voltage. In addition to being able to see the voltage when you're there, you'll also be comfortable knowing the device will shut down the power if the voltage becomes to high, or to low for your rig.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:25 AM   #6

Stubborn,

You are correct that on a 50 amp service you can have one side of the feed a lower voltage since the 50 amp is actually two separate 110 volt feeds.

I have seen on our Progressive EMS where the voltage on one feed can be 5 volts or more lower than the other leg.

That is one of the reasons we purchased and installed the Progressive EMS. It monitors the voltage, amps, and many other things. NO I am not associated with them, but just a happy customer.

The unit costs appox $300 for either the potable unit or the hardwired unit.
You can check them out here: Progressive EMS

I purchased the PT50, then I cut the cord on the coach and installed a plug so that I can keep the unit in the compartment at all times. It helps to keep it that way! Also, If when purchase a different coach we can take it with us.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:26 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have just purchased a hardwired Surge Guard that is almost the same thing minus the read out. There are a number of LED display ac 500v voltmeters on E-bay for anywhere from $9 to $20. Couldn't a person just wire into the input side of the Surge Guard to a place inside the coach to monitor voltage from the pedistal???
Old 09-12-2006, 10:24 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stubborn:
I have just purchased a hardwired Surge Guard that is almost the same thing minus the read out. There are a number of LED display ac 500v voltmeters on E-bay for anywhere from $9 to $20. Couldn't a person just wire into the input side of the Surge Guard to a place inside the coach to monitor voltage from the pedistal??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you could but you would either need two or a switch to flip between the two legs on a 50 amp feed to view the voltage one each leg.

The Progressive EMS automatically displays the voltage on each circuit.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote