Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #1

RV Recommendation

I've been doing research for a while on the perfect RV for my requirements listed below. I believe I am close to making a decision, but thought it would be interesting to have some of you real pros make recommendations based on this list. Anything goes here, MH, TT, Class A, C, fiver, Popup, whatever you think. I have no real experience other than my Popup so I'd be interested to see if my current selection has any merit.

Family of 5-6 traveling, kids ages 2-22 + 2 adults, 1 dog.
Trip durations 1-3 weeks, plus some day trips/ tailgating with extended family/friends.
Destination are National Parks, State Parks with some long days on the road.
Desire to stay small, quick, and efficient.
Desire not to pull a toad, but able to get around town and the sites.
Desire to have 1-2 made beds.
Lots of windows.
Undecided on slides, but would like the RV to be comfortable and fully functional with slides in if I go with them.
Set up well for dry camping.
10+ MPG
A solid 10 years of service.
High quality construction.
$100k or less.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well Ted whats your choices?
With 5-6 people go for a good TT.
I have a 5ver full time so I need some thing different.
I would never get a 5ver with out at least 3 slides.
Far as a TT I don't know much about them I went from
pop-up to a fiver.
Good luck
Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
2 or 3 of whatever you like would be my guess.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #4

I didn't want to post my choice, I have looked at everything. I was just curious as to what folks would come up with without any influence of my thoughts.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
OOOh, tough requirements.

No toad says 5er or TT. With that big of a family and dog included I would be thinking a large SUV and a 28 foot plus TT with two slides. Perhaps a bunk bed floor plan.

Dave
Old 04-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #6

Wow, my selection my surprise you. I might be way off.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #7

I would take the fam shoppin. Get in em. Try out "pretend" living: eating, sleeping, etc. Y'all fit okay? Good. Now rent one for a few days.
Actuality beats a maybe every time.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #8

A 1 ton SRW truck off road package crew cab will haul 5 people and small dog. The truck would be hauling a portable gas generator and a trailer with bunks and slides. Off road package will get 5 people where most people don't go.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #9

I'm thinking Toyhauler if you already have a pickup strong enough to pull one. A trailer is better especially for infrequent use. You will a need genny but they are pretty much a given on a TH.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No toad and "small" living for a family of 5-6, under 100K, I'd say this, or something like it. New Coachmen Leprechaun for sale | 2013 Coachmen Leprechaun 320BH Bunk Model Class C RV for Sale W/2 Slides Class C For Sale

You're likely out the door with money leftover to put towards fuel, on a new motorhome. There's plenty of sleeping space - Queen bed, 2 bunks, cab over bunk, large couch and dinette space. The slides on this model are relatively shallow, so while giving much enjoyed extra living space, the floorplan still looks pretty useable when in.

At 32' it's big enough to live in, but small enough to drive to your destination, so you could probably get away with no toad. Having two "regular" front cab doors makes day to day driving and usage more convenient. With that many occupants, you'd likely have to pay attention to the weight of what everyone brings with them - you could offset some of this by towing a small, enclosed/landscape trailer (6 or 8 feet), to store items in too.

If I was travellin' with those requirements, that's what I'd be looking at.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #11

2labs, you nailed it. I'm talking you got it right down to the make, model, floor plan and year. The exact coach I was looking at.

I wonder if I could go a few feet smaller, but I think it may be too much to ask with a larger family. The coach has 2350 CCC.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winner, Winner - Chicken Dinner!

With that many people, plus a dog, I think that you need at least that much space. With a smaller bunkhouse you're going to be giving us much needed living space for 5 people - likely a smaller couch for one, maybe no dinette, and likely CCC.

There are likely Class A's with bunk's in this size range, and some with fold down cab over bunks - that may offer a little more useable/liveable space. I don't know that you'll find one with both bunks and cab over, your fuel mileage will probably be a little worse, and it might "feel" less useable for day-to-day and destination driving.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #13

Here is my opinion, this if from owning a pop up, travel trailer and now a Class A motorhome with a toad.

In reference to owning a motorhome, Class A or C
You will not like having a motorhome with no toad. We did it for one year and packing up everything, disconnecting from the site, finding parking at a attraction is a pain. This might be feasible with two people in a class B.

A class C has limited amount of storage capacity and cargo carrying capacity. Remember you are traveling with 5-6 people. See what the cargo carrying capacity of the RV you are looking at.

I see you want to dry camp and with 5-6 people you will need a good amount of freshwater and holding tank capacity. Class C, travel trailers hold less then Class A's. This also ties in with the above. Will you be able to travel with everyone and a full freshwater tank to your dry camping destination.

10 MPG ? Better keep the pop up. Class C figure 10 as long as you keep her under 60.

Slides are a must.

Tough call on the perfect RV.
I would almost say a 3/4 ton crew cab truck (maybe with a cap on the bed) and a travel trailer or hybrid trailer with three beds. But then you are driving around a 3/4 ton truck all year long.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For travelling with that many people, the extra island counter in the kitchen will come in very handy with food preparation and serving. Having the larger couch also mean enough inside seating for everyone on rainy days - provided you bring along some tray tables.

The bedroom offers a lot of cabinet space for storing clothes for everyone. Without a pantry, the cabinets over the couch and dinette will end up for food and snacks, with paper goods under the dinette.