Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #1

I recently purchased a used '08 National Surf Side with 2 slides on the same side. I noticed something very peculiar on the side that does not have any slide on it. It's a big flat panel and when it warms up in the sun it bulges out about a 1/2" to 3/4". I noticed it when I went to put the awning out. There is a large locking screw on the awning rail and when the sidewall is cool there is about 3/4" between it and the side wall. When it warms up, the sidewall touches it. On the inside there is a closet in the area of the bulge. Cool, the closet dividers are tight against the sidewall, when it bulges out there is a good 1/2" gap between the inner sidewall and dividers. All outside seams at roof, floor moulding, and rear cap are tight and show no signs of stress. Anybody else experience this with any make or model, and if so how was it corrected??

Red Boots Ranch
redboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Is your Motorhome sided with Filon, or is it a solid fiberglass construct?

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #3

I really have no idea what Filon is, but it appears to be a composite panel with a fiberglass type material on the outside and paneling inside with a sandwiched insulation layer in between. It appears to be made in one continuous sheet for the whole side of the motorhome and then cut-outs for doors and windows, etc.

Red Boots Ranch
Old 01-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #4

Jim,

It's possible it's a delamination of the exterior skin from the sidewall. Normally you could make a claim with the manufacturer, but with National out of business, this will not be possible.

Depending on the location of the 'bubble' where it's separating, a good RV shop can peel the skin back and re-glue the skin. If it's not close to a seam, this may be impossible.

The wall then can be repaired by a body shop, but this repair will not be cheap, but do-able.

Good luck!
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #5

Thanks Don, The skin does not appear to be delaminating. The entire wall, both outside and inside are bulging outward about the same amount. In other words, the outside skin moves out about 3/4" until it touches the awning knob, and the inside wall also moves away from the interior closet partitions. I can't believe there is that much movement with simply sunlight warming it. Can't imagine what will happen when it hits a 100 degrees here.

Red Boots Ranch
Old 01-30-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I am wondering if this is a cause of leveling jack movement and the frame is twisting? How many days are you parked in the same spot and does the wall return to normal position at night and bow back out the next day? If so then it can not be the jacks settling. Have you had anyone look at the frame? This could also be a possibility. Give us as much detail as you can so we can be of more help.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:40 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Soundss like there is heat expansion involved. There may not have been any allowances made for the materials to move in the heat.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:29 AM   #8

Thanks for your response Mike & DSouthw524. I don't think this has anything to do with the jacks or frame twist. Keep in mind it is an '08 model with only 5000 miles on it. It appears to be heat related to the right side panel. If it is cool and in the shade there is no movement. If you turn the RV around so that side faces the sun, it immediately starts a popping sound and within 15 minutes the panel is bulged outward. Turn it back around again and as the panel cools it contracts to original position. So far, there doesn't seem to be any effect to any of the exterior seams, but it's worrisome. You wouldn't notice it if I didn't point it out, but once you see the movement in the panel it's hard to believe. And, it's not even hot here yet. Inside, there is a closet and TV shelf pocket on that wall. When the panel moves outward you can stick your fingers in between the horizontal and vertical closet partitians and the inside wall panel, when cool they are tight against the panel indicating about the same amount of movement to both the exterior panel and the inside panel. That would suggest to me that the panel is NOT delaminating, just moving in and out as a unit. I just can't understand how such minimal heat could cause so much movement?

Red Boots Ranch
Old 01-31-2009, 06:33 AM   #9

Sounds like the fiberglass side expands more than the plywood side so it bows.If the closet wall is strong enough where it touches you could try gluing.Put side in sun till it goes out and squeese some liquid nail in the space. Then turn coach around to let side cool and go back.It might just pull plywood from foam and make it worse.
BOB
Old 01-31-2009, 07:25 AM   #10

This is a guess, but I think there must be some wood furring strips in the wall between the outer and inner panels. As the wall bulges and the inside gaps open in the closet, you can see some grabber screws showing that appear to be there to hold the closet partitions to the wall behind it. I can't imagine the factory would simply run the screws into the paneling and expect it to hold anything. As the panel bulges out, it pulls the screws out of it.

Red Boots Ranch
Old 01-31-2009, 11:21 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it were mine-- I'd try Bob's (bldrbob) idea. No screws or clamps required-- Let the sun and the shade do the work, what have you got to lose? Sounds like a winner for around 10 bucks, or less---

Good luck,
Old 01-31-2009, 12:06 PM   #12

The bulge is about half way up the panel from the floor line. It's almost like there is no stud in there. I'm worried about using adhesive to attach the inner wall to the cabinet partitions because I'm afraid it may delaminate the wall from the insulation and outer panel. Right now, both sides seem to move about the same amount. I think I'm going to remove some of the closet interior paneling and see if I can get a better idea of whats going on.

Red Boots Ranch
Old 02-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #13

I think the way these walls are made there are no studs,just panels laminated to both sides of the foam core.Like a bimetal thermostat one side expand more than the other and causes it to bend.Possibly slitting the plywood horisontally would release the inside tension and allow the wall to grow without bowing.A strip of trim could cover the slit.I think if it were mine I would ignore it cause like I said before the cure might be worse than the problem.
BOB
Old 02-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
National RV panels have steel studs, vertical and horizontal bonded in. Tied in at the roof and floor line.

Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote