Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #15

Many thanks to ALL of you! A young man from a local garage came and disconnected the motor from the steps and we have them tied up with a bungee cord. He SAID he thinks the motor is "not strong enough to pull the stairs all the way back in". He priced a new motor for me and it was $360.00 PLUS shipping and labor. I told him, I'd get back to him. I'd appreciate any and all your thoughts on this subject. Let me say, my hubby is NOT a mechanical man - - and has a hard time when he gets down, getting back up. I CAN get under the RV but sure wouldn't know where to start pulling things out, etc. Would you pay that much for a motor for your steps, or just get a step stool?
Mrs. Phillips

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 04:10 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you need a new step motor, order this one and have someone install it. Don,t pay $360 for a $30 motor. This same motor is available at local autoparts stores for under $50.00. It fits ford taurus and Tbirds.

I think I would find another mechanic too, it is only 3 bolts and 2 wires.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:23 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have to lube, lube, lube. Use we 40 at the pivot points. Let it sit for a while and then just keep opening and closing.
If it's a quikee step you have to match it to your motorhome. You also should replace the complete assembly including the pivot arm linkage.
I bought the complete setup motor, linkage and wiring for my specific model, for $214
From PPL.com I then had it installed by a Mobil tech for $120.

Since the mechanic has already disconnected it and the stairs move in manually, you probably need the replacement unit.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
If the steps move freely up & down with the motor disconnected, then the problem is the motor. A new Kwikee motor is available from Amazon for $77.77 & FREE Shipping. I've not done it, but it looks simple to install.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It looks simple until you start it underneath. I lubed every bolt, came back in afternoon and tried to remove the motor. The first 2 nuts loosened fine. The top of the bolt is a carriage bolt. The third and fourth stripped. This now requires you loosening the four nuts that hold the stair assembly on. Unless you are under your unit every year lubing these nuts and bolts, this will happen to you. The motor assembly I bought came with the linkage, wiring, bolts, nuts, clips and pins.
You have to lower the steps down to get the new carriage bolts in. You can buy all these motors very inexpensively, but you will still need the housing and linkage to be removed off the old one.
The OP did say hubby as not very mechanical, and had mobility issues. I just recommend buying the whole assembly and calling that mechanic and have him install it.
The unit is a 2002, it lasted 13 years. If you just replace the motor, I guarantee the linkage or transmission will need replaced in another couple of years. Spend the $200 for the whole assembly. My .02.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As a side note, I looked at the $77 motor on amazon . down below they show what is frequently bought together. It's $254 for everything. This is what is available at PPL, FOR $202. YOU WILL NEED EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:36 PM   #21

Agree with age and abilities of OP the best option may be to buy brand new one and before installed inspect it with instruction manual describing maintenance and oil points as it is easy to see when out.

Take old one out and either sell it as is or repair and keep for spare.

Some (like us) can take a worn out unit and make new side arms and make other mods to improve the step and having a non functional unit to start with helps.

Craigs list or irv2 classifieds to sell.

Tags
steps