Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #1

Rv Tote-Along Portable Holding Tank

Just wondering what the concensus is. We're going to be camping at sites without sewer, and looking into the options.
I've done a little research on the internet, but not coming up with any definative conclusions.
The 42 gal system from Barker looks like it would work. It's the largest system I've found. I'm concerned with weight, and construction quality.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Thank you, so much!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We had a blue tote & only used it once in 5 years. Since our black tank capacity was bigger than the tote's, we had to make multiple trips & it was just more hassle than it was worth. If we absolutely have to dump, we've found it easier to pull in the slides, raise the jacks & head to the CG dump station. Granted, that's just easier for us. I've seen many TT's & 5-rs with the blue boxes strapped to their ladders, so there's folks that do use them.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:08 AM   #3

Use our 25 gallon portable all the time. It may be a little bit of a hassle to use but not near the hassle as picking up camp and moving the entire rig.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:55 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Every week we use ours. Have the 20 gal. And that was a hassle so we "upgraded" to the 42.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #5

Just get a side dumper,no lifting to dump,more gallons it holds Heaver it gets I would dump every 2 days and stay lite also I installed air tires on the tank pulls nice and rolls by hand easer to.The blue boy I think are the best made ones also...
Old 06-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I bought the Blue Boy 32 gallon unit, second hand for $100. Removed the narrow tires and installed solid wide tread tires allowing it to roll easier. I need to find something similar for the small front wheels too. Bought a gauge to go in the top, nice to know when it's full versus having a hose full of crap to deal with. The last thing I added was a vent in the top to prevent the tank from exploding or becoming air bound.

Blue Boy's are the best.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank4.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	10844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank3.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	10845  

Old 06-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #7

I think I've decieded on the 42 gal, Barker Tote. Many people feel it's imperitive to get the largest you can.
I like the idea of replacing the wheels and adding a pressure release valve.
If anyone has a used one, please contact me.
Thank you everyone!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought an add-on dump valve that goes on where my dump hose normally was connected. The extra valve allows me to let grey water flow over to the black water tank by keeping the extra valve closed and both original valves open. We can now stay put for about twice as long as before, before we have to dump. I used to use a portable tote, but now leave that at home.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I bought an add-on dump valve that goes on where my dump hose normally was connected. The extra valve allows me to let gray water flow over to the black water tank by keeping the extra valve closed and both original valves open.
For those people that have rigs with different size valves such as mine where the black water valve is 3 inches and the gray water valve is 1.5 inches, I am not so sure that allowing both valves to remain open to equalize the tanks would be such a good idea. Especially if it ended up clogging up the smaller gray tank somehow.

If the two tank valves were the same larger size, 3 inches, then this is a great idea in tank space utilization for longer stays without having to dump.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Richard, you may be right about the valves being different sizes. I just looked and as far as I can see before the plumbing disappears into our rv the piping looks to be the same but that doesn't mean it might not get smaller further into the rig. We also wait until our grey water tank is full and then open the valve and because the grey tank is full and the black isn't the waste flows that way. Also I think the chemicals we use in the black water tank breaks down any solids and don't think there's much in there that would be a problem for a smaller valve. At the risk of grossing someone out I'll say we have a short clear piece of plastic connected to our dump hose that allows me to see as I'm dumping and rinsing and cleaning the holding tanks what is coming out so I can tell if it's been cleaned out good or not and I always only see liquid waste and have never seen solids which is why I think the chemicals do a good job breaking down the waste. Anyway it works for us and we've had some friends do the same thing after they saw how well it works for us.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have one, that I use as my little TT only has a 30 gal grey tank and that's only good for four days. It's easier to do this than hitch up the TT, put everything away haul the TT over and then come back and set up again.

Likely easier to do in a motorhome

Sheila

~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote