Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2011, 08:52 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We ended up having a RV store in our town that had them in stock but I had to go get a loan to buy it $18.95 for one filter, I guess that the cost of RVing.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #16

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
Why don't you put in a whole house RO system?

Jim E
A whole house RO system is expensive and still requires sediment prefiltration.They also use a lot more water for backflushing.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #17

In 6 weeks of use I've been happy with the Camco KDF/Charcoal external filter. Cheap at Wal-Mart.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
A whole house RO system is expensive and still requires sediment prefiltration.They also use a lot more water for backflushing.
They are a little more expensive but the sediment prefilter is part of the RO system. I have a five stage system. They do not use a "lot" more water. My system discharges one gallon of water for one gallon of RO water. You are probably thinking of old technology where it takes five or so gallons for one gallon of RO water.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #19

I have a question on the whole house RO system. How do you fill the fresh water tank with a whole house RO system? Can you still run the MH directly from the campground faucet and through the RO system? Can you get enough flow and pressure to run all the faucets and shower throgh a whole house RO system?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #20

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
They are a little more expensive but the sediment prefilter is part of the RO system. I have a five stage system. They do not use a "lot" more water. My system discharges one gallon of water for one gallon of RO water. You are probably thinking of old technology where it takes five or so gallons for one gallon of RO water.

Jim E
One gallon of water discharged for every gallon used isn't a lot?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #21

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I have a question on the whole house RO system. How do you fill the fresh water tank with a whole house RO system? Can you still run the MH directly from the campground faucet and through the RO system? Can you get enough flow and pressure to run all the faucets and shower throgh a whole house RO system?
RO systems are rated by the gallons of water they can deliver over a certain period of time. You would have to install a syustem that had a flow rate large enough to handle your demand.

If you are hooked to a campground faucet, I would see no need to run water through the tank; just feed the campground water through the RO filter then use the output as thought you are on a city water connection. For dry camping, you can plumb your system in a way that will direct output from the RO filter into the tank (this is you have your filter installed permanently in your rig). You would then disconnect from the water source and pump from tank.

Since I will not be dry camping, I'm essentially will be converting the trailer I will buy to a park model (I would get a park model but they are too big for me to haul around without a really huge truck; the tow vehicle will also be my grocery getter). I'll lose the tanks and pump, replace the poop and drop toilet with a real flusher, replumb all the drain lines, install a tankless water heater in place of the 10 gl heater, and put in whole house water filtration and a water softener.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Ok, plumb the RO output to the fresh water tank. My coach, '97 beaver Marquis, has an electric fill valve. Plumb the RO line down stream of that valve. I can still use campground water by connecting water source directly to the regular coach water connection. It does not go through the RO system.

The RO water goes to the holding tank then using the coach water pump to supply water to all the faucets. As you can surmise, the coach pump does not have the capacity to supply all the faucets at once. It works the same as though you are dry camping.

A simpler system is one with a one or two gallon pressurized holding tank plumbed to the ice maker and drinking water faucet. Exactly as installed in stick homes. A small whole house RO system for a MH or trailer has to use the holding tank because of the hugh pressure drop across the RO membrane. Commercial RO systems have humongous membranes and very high pressure pumps.

Jim E
Old 07-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #23

Quote:
One gallon of water discharged for every gallon used isn't a lot?
"A lot" is relative. Compared to systems that have no high pressure supplemental water pumps, a one to one ratio is pretty small.

Jim E
Old 07-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #24

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
"A lot" is relative. Compared to systems that have no high pressure supplemental water pumps, a one to one ratio is pretty small.

Jim E
Ion exchange water softeners waste considerably less water.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Ion exchange water softeners waste considerably less water.
I don't know anything about "Ion Exchange" water softeners unless you are talking about a regular water softener that uses ion exchange. They don't waste any water except during the recharge cycle. A "water softener" is far from equal to a RO system. No matter what filters you use in conjunction with a softener, you will never achieve the purity compared to a RO system.

Jim E
Old 07-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #26

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I don't know anything about "Ion Exchange" water softeners unless you are talking about a regular water softener that uses ion exchange. They don't waste any water except during the recharge cycle. A "water softener" is far from equal to a RO system. No matter what filters you use in conjunction with a softener, you will never achieve the purity compared to a RO system.

Jim E
That's the kind I was talking about. Granted, RO is superior but, IMHO, the gains do not warrant the extra expense involved with an RO over an ion exchange unit. The mechanical and carbon prefiltration will take care of sediments and the carbon will take care of bad taste and oders. The only further benefit to be gained for me is the elimination of calcium deposits and improved washing capabilities and ion exchange can handle that quite well. I do not have any problems with high blood sodium (it usually runs low) so the increase of sodium in the water from an ion exchange unit is not an issue for me.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #27

Quote:
That's the kind I was talking about. Granted, RO is superior but, IMHO, the gains do not warrant the extra expense involved with an RO over an ion exchange unit.
That's the key. It boils down to personal opinion. Are TPMS worth the cost? Some say yes, others say no. How about diesel or gas? I've heard that slides in a MH cost about $25K each. That means a Coach with four slides would add around $100k. Is it worth it? Think what you can do with $100K. Is a $2M Prevost worth that much when you can buy a new Winnebago for $150K?

Just babbling.

Jim E
Old 07-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #28

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
That's the key. It boils down to personal opinion. Are TPMS worth the cost? Some say yes, others say no. How about diesel or gas? I've heard that slides in a MH cost about $25K each. That means a Coach with four slides would add around $100k. Is it worth it? Think what you can do with $100K. Is a $2M Prevost worth that much when you can buy a new Winnebago for $150K?

Just babbling.

Jim E
But you babble so well!

All seriousness aside, you are right that different people have different needs.

Tags
water