Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV water filters are they the same as a house filter

I have a FLOW-PUR 8 filter on my Bounder and I'm just wondering if they are the same as a house water filter.

Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I would imagine the 8 in your filter number means 8 micron. So it would remove particles as small as 8 microns. Lots of useful info here RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV They attend most RV shows and are very helpful and will answer your questions posted on their website.

Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SHrt answeris yes, basically the same.. Actually RV filters come in two by 1.5 types

1: (And 1.5) Replacable cartridges,, These may be "Plumbed in" or "in-line"

The "Plumbed in" type ARE home filters

The IN-LIne have garden hose fittings.

The other kind is disposable,, These have Garden hose fittings. But as for the filter. See above)
Old 06-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You can use home type cartridges of the same diameter and length - most are the same. Decide how much filtering you want - a fine filter (smaller micron value) takes out more nasty stuff but slows the flow rate dramatically.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone, guess I'll be heading to Lowe's tomorrow after church.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #6

I bought a pair of 10" canisters at home depot. In the sprinkler section you can find the fittings for mating the two together. I usually get the sediment filters there as well.

The link above has more choices for filters than you can find at any of the local hardware stores. We use the F1Pb (CFB-PB10) in the second cartridge. Wife is very picky about water and with this combo it makes even the nastiest smelling water clean.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Todd, be real careful going to Lowes or Home Depot. Read the labels carefully on the filters. You do not want what is called a Single Faucet Filter because the flow rate will be way too slow for the MH and will drive you crazy. Most Single Faucet Filters are 1-5 microns. Lowes is good because they label their filters. Home Depot does not tell you anything on their filters and most are Single Faucet Filters.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #8

I've often wondering why whole house water filters are so popular in RVs. Sometimes the water does not taste good but it is not harmful. A separate drinking water faucet is OEM in many RVs and could be easily installed otherwise. It is my understanding that all public water supplies must be approved by the EPA or some other government organization. There are millions of homes though out the country that do not have a whole house filtering system. So, what is special about an RV that requires all the incoming water to be so highly filtered?

Jim E
Old 06-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Todd, be real careful going to Lowes or Home Depot. Read the labels carefully on the filters. You do not want what is called a Single Faucet Filter because the flow rate will be way too slow for the MH and will drive you crazy. Most Single Faucet Filters are 1-5 microns. Lowes is good because they label their filters. Home Depot does not tell you anything on their filters and most are Single Faucet Filters.
X2 about Home Depot...Have not been to Lowes. Not worth driving 25 miles or so one way to save a few pennies.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
Lots of useful info here RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV They attend most RV shows and are very helpful and will answer your questions posted on their website.
I priced a filter system @ Home Depot they were $4.75 more expensive than the above link before shipping, and that did not include the filters.
With RV Water Filter Store they include the filters.

Good Luck
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #11

Our coach came with this system: Nature-Pure Water Purifiers - Test Data

It supplies water to the single drinking water spigot on the galley sink and ice maker only.

Seems to do a great job with the water. We also have an in-line filter attached to our shore water hose.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
I've often wondering why whole house water filters are so popular in RVs. Sometimes the water does not taste good but it is not harmful. A separate drinking water faucet is OEM in many RVs and could be easily installed otherwise. It is my understanding that all public water supplies must be approved by the EPA or some other government organization. There are millions of homes though out the country that do not have a whole house filtering system. So, what is special about an RV that requires all the incoming water to be so highly filtered?

Jim E
Maybe RVers have higher standards?

All seriousness aside, just because water companies have to meet certain standards doesn't mean they do; the regs in some jurisdictions are not as well enforced as they are in others. Many campgrounds are notorious for having substandard plumbing which can introduce contamination. A lot of older plumbing used galvanzied pipe and, even though the water coming into the system may be clean, the water coming out will be rusty.

Another issue unique to most RVs is the fresh water tank. Chlorination will dissapate in 24 hours when stagnant in a vented tank leaving water vulnerable to bacterial contamination. The cleaner the water going in, the longer it will be safe. Any sediments carried in with the water will settle in the tank and will build up over time. Those sediments can affect the taste of the water.

Apparently, there are a lot of stick dwellers who do have whole house filtrsation or, at least, filter their drinking water otherwise the home centers wouldn't be selling so many filters. I know a lot of people who live in stick homes who do have whole house filtering. I also know a lot who never drink tap water; they drink only bottled water.

I've been in many homes, motels, etc. in many states where the domestic water was horrible due to sediments, oders, off flavors, algae, and/or the water was rock hard. When I get my TT, I'm putting in a whole house sediment filter followed by a carbon filter and a water softener so I will have clean, fresh smelling and tasting water that won't wreck my plumbing from hardwater deposits and built up sedimentation.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Maybe RVers have higher standards?

I've been in many homes, motels, etc. in many states where the domestic water was horrible due to sediments, oders, off flavors, algae, and/or the water was rock hard. When I get my TT, I'm putting in a whole house sediment filter followed by a carbon filter and a water softener so I will have clean, fresh smelling and tasting water that won't wreck my plumbing from hardwater deposits and built up sedimentation.
Why don't you put in a whole house RO system?

Jim E
Old 06-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Sears also carries a nice selection of filters !

Tags
water