Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #1

Rv water pump fuse blowing when extending slide

Hi all, I posted this before but am still trying to come up with a solution. I bought a cable/short tracker tool to try and find a short in my 2009 Fleetwood Discovery 40k, using the tool, on one end I do not get anything power or tone wise and on the other end, (from fuse box) indicates a short. Problem is that where I think the short is would have to be in the middle which I cannot get to (see picture). The problem is that when I extend my front passenger slide about 80% out it blows the fuse for the water pump. If slide is in (retracted) I can put a fuse in and everything’s ok, same if all the way extended. Can I just disconnect the power wire that runs through the coach to the five switches and run a new wire and a single switch to the water pump. Basically just eliminate the wires that are there now. I thought I could run a new switch to the half bath as it’s in the middle of the coach. Any ideas greatly appreciated. My dad say just to remove the fuse till i get the slide all the way in or all the way out and put fuse in till ready to roll again, any ideas on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB564CDC-0B30-40C1-96B2-79CB4F8AAA8D.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	269010  
Gedwards1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2019, 02:23 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How long is the wire from end to end and can you detach both? If you can pull it out with another good wire attached to it that would be better than constantly fusing a smoldering short. In any case I like your idea of a new line.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:24 PM   #3

Thanks Rocky, unfortunately the wires branch off in several locations, so wouldn’t be able to pull the wire, wish I could. The water pump location is almost directly below the half bath and only 10-12 feet from the fuse panel. I think I’ll just run a new wire from the fuse panel to a switch to the pump and be done with it. Appreciate the advice though.
Greg
Old 12-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #4

Is the small diameter wire bundle, running down the left side, the bundle for the water pump? If so, there appears to be an obvious kink in that whole thing, just before it passes over the iron pipe. If that is subject to movement when the slide is extended or retracted, I can see where the wires inside the conduit can flex, pinch, break or fray, and short. That would by my prime suspect location for the problem if those are the pump wires.

If that’s the location you can’t get to, it’s worth it, IMO, to run new wire(s) that will not kink or pinch from slide movement.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #5

That area does look like it could be a problem, I’ll see if I can get to it and if so, at least get the kink out of it, that can’t be good. Thanks for the advice
Greg
Old 12-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #6

Can you view it while someone runs the slide out and in? Or leave your phone on video in there and run it in and out.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #7

That’s obviously on the 12v side. Can you disconnect from the pump and hold a test light and hit the slide and see if the fuse still blows. If yes, run a temp 12v Drop from a battery and connect it to the pump with a fuse and hit the slide. Just bypass the original drop. Has a fault somewhere obviously, sometimes the chase is not worth it. It works, then tie in the pump switch. I went through this.
RVmotorosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:39 AM   #8

Hi, I did have my wife operate the slide in and out while I was in the basement watching for any movement. I didn’t see any but the wiring harness goes back always and maybe I couldn’t tell if it was moving back there. Still investigating. Thanks
Greg
Old 12-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #9

I haven’t tried disconnecting it, I’ll give that a shot, I do agree with just running a new wire. I’ve already spent waaaay to much time tracking this down.
Thanks
Greg
Old 12-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #10

Good idea to observe what is happening with looms and slide in action, before another wire gets pinched. Its possible the damage may have been during assembly and just now showing itself .
Along the lines of removing fuse could try one of these fuse/circuit breakers. or remote the kind that are a switch also.
https://www.google.com/search?q=12+c...50362305579802
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #11

IMHO running a new wire would be a temporarily fix. Why? Because whatever condition that caused the pump wire to short could also migrate to other wires in the same harness.

I retired from a Telephone Company. It was our experience that when we had wire "go bad" that meant it was only a matter of time before more wires in the same cable would be "go bad" too.

I understand from you OP your pump cable is in the bottom of a roll out. If my understanding is correct then I'd suggest removing the exterior of the bottom of the roll out to allow you to gain total access to the wiring harness.
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, slide, water, water pump