Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #15
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IRVTrekin2:
Has anyone else used these covers and did you get the snap or twist locks to attach them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>About those snaps and twists let me say this - very ancient technology and it's more trouble than it's worth when you have to bring a ladder into the process to hang your sunscreen.

Consider if you will a system that can be applied while your feet never leave the ground.

Watch the movie; HERE

Visit the website here: Prompt RV Sunscreen, Winter Haven, Florida. (877) 965-1533
ask for Bill Rex tell him you seen this on iRV2 and ask for your iRV2 discount. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After viewing the movie, I will continue to use my inside shades.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I got my Sunguard shades yesterday.

Installed them today.

I took my time and am very happy with the quality and fit. In reading the instructions, it said to use ductape to secure the screen to the coach. It was a bit comical, as I started by centering the top snap in the center of the windshield top - evenly spaced under the yellow running light. Of course, using an "X" pattern along the top to secure the screen, by the time I moved the ladder, the ductape would come loose. It was hot out and the humidity kind of high - so that did not help.

After getting the large screen centered and secured, I took a piece of masking tape and placed it under the snaps.

I stole my youngest daughters red lipstick. Shhh. She doesn't know!!! I coated my finger with lipstick and wiped on the underside of the snap. I then stretched the material taunt and pressed the snap onto the masking tape. The lipstick marked the circle of the snap very well.

It was then a piece of cake to center the required sized drill bit in the circle and then drill. I also found that using the masking tape also protected the paint and fiberglass underneath from the bite of the drill bit.

I then wiped the area of the drill hole with alcohol. Then, I forced silicone into the hole and coated the underside of the male snap (after cleaning thoroughly with alcohol) and screwed them in. Be carefully and keep a constant pressure so you don't strip the screw. Fortunately Sunguard sent more snaps then was necessary. I wound up stripping one screw head and had to use a special bit that removes screws that are stripped. Thank you youngest daughter for giving me a set for Christmas!!!

I was able to stretch the cover tight enough to remove all wrinkles and produce a smooth tight fit.

This was not a difficult project. Taking my time and using unconventional tools (like lipstick) made the installation so much easier!!!

I know many people are nervous about drilling holes in their coach. I was too.

Man! I'm a long winded Son of a Gun!! I just figured that my experience may be helpful for the next person who is going to tackle this project.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Gordon, did they use snaps or Kwik Kwips on the front windshield?

If they did use these Kwik, how are they attached to your unit?

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #18
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gordon:
I know many people are nervous about drilling holes in their coach. I was too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> No way Jose!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adj:
After viewing the movie, I will continue to use my inside shades. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Prompt RV Sunsceens compete with "external" sunscreens that are fastened by snaps and twists.

Once shown and viewed in person the decision is clear. Your feet never leave the ground, no ladder required, it takes 15 seconds if that to attach and the screen presents as tight and as well as a snap unit.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phelpo:
Gordon, did they use snaps or Kwik Kwips on the front windshield?

If they did use these Kwik, how are they attached to your unit?

Phelpo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used the snaps. In looking at the twist locks (not sure if the Kwik Kwips are the same), it looked like I would have to use 2 screws to attach it. I did not want to drill any more then was absolutely necessary!
Old 08-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adj:
After viewing the movie, I will continue to use my inside shades. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Prompt RV Sunsceens compete with "external" sunscreens that are fastened by snaps and twists.

Once shown and viewed in person the decision is clear. Your feet never leave the ground, no ladder required, it takes 15 seconds if that to attach and the screen presents as tight and as well as a snap unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I looked closely at the RV Sunscreen and talked with one gentleman at Camp Rilea. He liked them, and was happy that he did not have to use a ladder.

The only drawbacks, as he described them was that the suction cup he used on his front door would not stay - even when properly cleaned. He
got his screen retrofitted to the front door metal bracket (so he still had to drill 2 holes). His other issue was that when installed, the top had a tendency to flap. He thinks it's because of the shape of his windshield and rubber molding.

Other then those two issues, he thought it was a good system.

Mine has 8 snaps (good quality stainless steel). And since I really don't mind a couple of minutes with the ladder, it does not bother me.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #22

Most of the screens shown seem to be black. Wouldn't that absorb more heat and transmit into the coach? I have some old white screens which are not too effective and am considering changing. Is black better for blocking, or does the black just blend with more of the newer coach color schemes? My rig is mostly light color.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I chose black to match my coach but since the screens are outside the coach the heat absorbed is disbursed outside. I also think it's easier to see out during the day with black than a lighter color.

My first criteria would be to match the coach, especially fullbody paint.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #24

IMHO black absorbs or attracts heat, white reflects it. Having said that, I think the big difference lies in how dark do you want it inside your coach. Here color makes a difference. I have very light colored covers and I like the amount of light they allow to filter through. My brother has a dark color and it is always dark in his cockpit area.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gordon:

Once shown and viewed in person the decision is clear. Your feet never leave the ground, no ladder required, it takes 15 seconds if that to attach and the screen presents as tight and as well as a snap unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I looked closely at the RV Sunscreen and talked with one gentleman at Camp Rilea. He liked them, and was happy that he did not have to use a ladder.

The only drawbacks, as he described them was that the suction cup he used on his front door would not stay - even when properly cleaned. He
got his screen retrofitted to the front door metal bracket (so he still had to drill 2 holes). His other issue was that when installed, the top had a tendency to flap. He thinks it's because of the shape of his windshield and rubber molding.

Other then those two issues, he thought it was a good system.

Mine has 8 snaps (good quality stainless steel). And since I really don't mind a couple of minutes with the ladder, it does not bother me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gordon..thanks for the good writeup with pictures!

I too had the nice "no ladder" Prompt RV sunscreens, but could NEVER get the side cockpit windows covered with a good tight fit...they also sagged with the wind and rain. Also, fastening the front windshield is NO PIECE OF CAKE as you have to strap one side on, and hope that it doesnt fall off as you unroll the sunscreen....might as well have a ladder as you really need one with the Prompt...

I just ordered the Sunguard sunscreens in Black and MAN I AM PLEASED!!!! Nice tight fit with the snaps!
Old 08-12-2007, 06:20 AM   #26

I too am still looking at what sunscreens to use. For you folks that have installed the sunguards (drilling holes) - do you have fiberglass coaches. I am somewhat concerned about drilling into my fiberglass coach. Thanks, Harry

2003 Damon Intruder 350
lionel_046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #27

I think most of us have fiberglass coaches. Yes it is going to make you very nervous to drill into it. However, with a good layout, tape your cover in place, carefully mark your fasteners location and you will be alright. I have never seen a really bad installation. I think I sweat blood the day I did mine, it all worked all alright.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lionel_046:
I too am still looking at what sunscreens to use. For you folks that have installed the sunguards (drilling holes) - do you have fiberglass coaches. I am somewhat concerned about drilling into my fiberglass coach. Thanks, Harry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine has a fiberglass front.

Advise. Make sure you have the cover well secured (with ductape). I took long strips and secured (length wise) along the edges. I put masking tape under the area where the snap is. Once I had the snaps image transfered to the masking tape, carefully drill the hole. Make sure yo use the appropriate size drill bit. Make sure you also use a sharp drill bit. The masking tape helps protect the fiberglass and you get a good clean hole.

I used alcohol to clean off the tape residue as well as clean the area to ensure that the sealant would stick. I even went so far as to clean the screws with alcohol.

Take your time, make sure of where you are drilling - and don't let the drill bit go in too far (just far enough to get through the fiberglass) and you will be OK.

If I can do it. So can you.