Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-07-2015, 08:09 PM   #15
Its not fun when your fresh water tank freezes up. Be sure to combat that. I was in chicago last January and it got down to 3 degrees. I was running a small heater in the wet bay and my water froze anyway.

motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #16
well it seems like all the replies are from those that do not live in north climate...I live in ND and in Williston there are hundreds that lived in rv's for winters...now seals do not just crack from the cold as mine is there every yr since '97. and still look like they did when new....if you are gonna stay a while then skirt your bottom with rented or bought straw bales...or tin or fiberglass panels.. make sure your wet bay has heat as mine does from factory with on and off switch. you can put slide out in when it starts snowing and put it out in morning or when done.. just do a little research and you will find it is easily done. just not by people that don't want or need to do it.. jeff

' Had a London Aire..350hp sparton chassis... with all the good stuff from the time.. Just traded for a 2007 Alfa gold!! ya and picked up yesterday 9-24-16
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dan--most northern campgrounds and National Parks are closed for winter months, so be sure to check accomodations before heading out. We enjoy heading to Colorado in early June. Most places are snow-free by then, but we can drive up into the higher elevations and play in the snow. I hope you can make your dream come true.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #18
around here the national grounds may be gated but the state parks are usable with no services[water and electric] except you can still use the septic dump....we have done it many times when salmon fishing and just early when nice spring hits or fall...
' Had a London Aire..350hp sparton chassis... with all the good stuff from the time.. Just traded for a 2007 Alfa gold!! ya and picked up yesterday 9-24-16
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Dan,

Given your location, I would think you could pick a bad weather weekend, make a run up to Show Low, Flagstaff, Blanding, Gallup, etc... and get your wish satisfied. These places are all pretty low risk as a bad snow storm there really isn't all that bad - the odds of getting stuck for three months is pretty slim. There are gobs of places to setup camp in the various forest service regions.

Just leave a note at home - "if not home in three months, send food and propane".

All that said, go prepared. The cold can make you a statistic pretty fast.
JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #20
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like stated earlier, I would stay close the first time or two. Have yuo tried heading to the mountains near flagstaff. We've camped there when we had our 5er and had all the snow you could want. I would have recommend the Grand canyon, but they close the road for winter. But AZ has tons of places with the white stuff during winter. Like NM, the desert temperature changes can catch someone by surprise. Check your unit and Enjoy.
Ford RV V10 5 star Tow tune
Front/Read Roadmaster 1 3/4" anti-sway bars. Roadmaster steering stabilizer
2009 Acme Tow dolly w/ 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:53 PM   #21
If you want to have an occasional camp out in the snow that is one thing, but to live in snow country is quite another challenge. (There's always Flagstaff Arizona) One that frankly most retired people just aren't up to myself included. I have lived in the best of both worlds. Idaho and Arizona winters. In Northern Utah tromping through 3 feet of snow as a kid. You go through about 6 gallons of propane in about 2 days trying to stay warm. Roads are slippery and dangerous, Utah drivers are in accidents everywhere. Roads get shut down and your stuck for days. So stay off the busy roads with the crazy drivers. Plus everything freezes at 29 below. So Fresh water tank only, ( no city water)and you have to keep RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank all the time or you'll be faced with the nightmare of all your plumbing freezing up. For me the colder temps are really hard on my asthma if not down right lethal to my respiratory health. That's why I spend my winters in Lake Havasu City now. Antifreeze in your rv's radiator or you'll wake up to the lovely surprise of a cracked engine block. Last but not least, you will need good tire chains. The roads get slick as snot and a big rig won't go anywhere without them on a snow covered highway. So I have seen more snow in my day then I care to admit. So my opinion. Snow is best admired from a distance, because when the roads start getting covered with black ice it changes everything. A lot of people love to have fantasies about snow. But Winter is no fun for those that have to live through it, and that is the hard reality of living in snow country.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #22
It just occurred to me. If you like camping in the snow. Try Park City Utah. I lived in Park City for almost two years. I loved it. During the summer Park City is one of my favorite places on earth. The summers are nice and cool, and if you like snow. From Dec 1st to April 1st every year you'll have it made in heaven. Park City has some of the nicest RV parks I've ever seen too. Clean air all year round. So if you like snow check it out.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:46 AM   #23
Fleetwood Owners Club
Here are a couple of pics of Williston, ND a couple of years ago where my son lives. A person has do to what he has to done to earn a living but if you don't need to be in the snow - DON'T.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Williston 2nd Blizzard 4.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	104710

Name:	Winter Storm Brutus Williston.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	104711
As mentioned by beenthere, you'll never be prepared for -40 degree weather.
Ken in Nebraska
98 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, 35U
97 Ford F53 chassis
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:13 PM   #24
I guess its a flight for me now
Mikey (USN retired, Radioman)
Solo after 25 years since the wife went solo to Heaven

mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #25
Again I recommend Park City, Utah. Great RV parks, well plowed roads, very close to major grocery stores, great skiing and your still out in the country. And of course home of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games. One of the safest communities in America, almost no crime whatsoever. Unlike the midwest, no tornados, just beautiful snow covered mountains. Again I don't like snow all that much. But if I had to be in the snow Park City would be my first choice. Late October is a good time to arrive, before the snow hits. Then on a good season you'll enjoy knee deep snow from late November to Early May. If you have the money and really want to get your hands in some powder, I think you would be very happy with decision to spend time in Park City. I lived in Park City during the winter of 2012. We had almost 100 inches of snow that season. Again it is my favorite place in the US of A.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #26
Originally Posted by Dan Wong View Post
Living in Arizona for almost 40 years, one of the thing I missed is Snow.

Before my life time-clock run out, before the sun set permanently; I would like to drive my (car) RV slipping & sliding in snow. I would like to camp out in the snow. I want to experience; waking up one morning; my Rv cover with snow, knee deep snow to walk on. For once; I would like to stared out my window, and see a blanket of white snow covering as far as my eye can see. For once in my lifetime, I would like to RV in the snow.

For those of you who live in the snow country, you have no idea how bless you are.

Now, tell me; what do I need; in order to live (RV...CAMPING) in the snow, I am thinking of maybe one week to a months (is that long enough?). I know I need chains, electric blankets, large propane tank, plenty of food ... uh...what else?
Awesome. Ignore the naysayers. Just prepare and have a great time.
msi1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:22 AM   #27
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One thing I've not seen mentioned yet - road salt.

Most places that regularly see significant snow will put salt on the highways. This will reek havoc on your RV and rinsing it off will not remove everything that has creped into the smallest of crooks crannies and cracks.

I agree with the suggestion of renting a cabin or something similar for a week or so to get this out of your system.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:02 AM   #28

Yes, cleaning after driving on salt covered roads is a major job.

I use this: http://www.irv2.com/forums/newreply....te=1&p=2720048

Followed by treating everything with this: Boeshield T-9 Gallon

I see the price has gone up since my last order, may want to shop around. I use a garden sprayer to apply it.

We've been through a lot of snow and cold in 2 different coaches. Hydronic heat makes all the difference.

This season alone we've been from -3 to 106, the inside is always in the 70s.

I do lots of outside maintenance to keep everything prepared.

Snow is work

Name:	DSCF0833.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	105134

2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote

camping, rving