Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
What do you need??? You need a psychiatrist. You are crazy.
That is a bit harsh but I have to agree that camping in the snow does not sound like fun to me but to each their own, right?

I guess living in central NY for most of my life where we get on average 10' of snow a winter kind of beat out of me any desire to be somewhere cold. Now we head south for the winter and if I start to miss winter I just stick my arm in the beer cooler for a minute to get that out of my system

Seriously I agree with the suggestions here. Be prepared, have a back up plan and drive safely. Enjoy! I'll be watching the Weather channel from a tiki bar.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #30

I get where you are coming from. Spent one Christmas in the sunny south at Uncle's behest. No desire to do it again. It is not Christmas without snow. Started heading south in April last year, may try for March next year. Miss the spring storm and mud season. That gives us the best of snow time and late spring. ;-)

We found pillows in the vents and reflectix in the windows help a lot. Have a fleece curtain to shut off the cab as the windshield is the biggest heat loss. Depend on generator power as there is not enough sun. You might want to add an extend a stay so you can run external propane tank(s).

Old 08-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #31

RVing ... Camping in the snow

It can get cold at night even in Arizona during the winter. So I took the kind foam you use in Naugahyde chairs, cut it to the right size for my roof vents, then just shove it in the vents to block the draft. As long as you keep plenty of propane on hand for the furnace, you will be very comfortable. Utah Propane is one of the companies here that will come right to your RV. I use Wasatch propane to fill up before I head south for the winter. They are also an excellent company that will come to your rig. If you have a class C like me, your going to probably want to cardboard up the windows up in the bed loft as well as the roof vent in the loft, otherwise the night time draft will be painfully cold. In Arizona I don't need my furnace during the day, but if you end up in a place like Park City in wintertime you will be using your furnace around the clock. Some people would buy a $200.00 heated city water hose to keep your plumbing from freezing. No need. In winter and spring don't hook up to city water. Just use your fresh water tank instead and add the appropriate amount of RV antifreeze with every fill. No need to have lots of expensive heat tape, heating pads and such. That is what RV antifreeze was designed to do, and I have lived in some very cold places. As long as you keep it in the fresh water system, you will have no problem. When I return to Utah in the spring every year, it is often still to cold to be hooked to city water as temps fall below freezing at night. So I use my fresh water system in the spring with the appropriate amount of RV antifreeze, switch over to city water in the summer, and then back to fresh water in the fall just before leaving for Arizona. It's a neat, easy and inexpensive little trick a lot of RViers don't know, so they end up taking the expensive route to avoid plumbing freezes in the winter.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #32

What you really need to do it right is about $250,000......Earthcruiser.....Tiger....or Allterrain Warrior.....these are 4WD, winter ready, and able to be out a week or so without hookups.....I am going for one, not sure which one....Earthroamer is another option, but add another $100,000.... This is the hard truth...Smaller class B's are also available 4WD.......
Old 08-29-2015, 08:30 PM   #33

Evidently you don't cook or drink from your on board water tank with the antifreeze in it! Talk about bad tasting!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:33 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
Thanks for all who has reply. You've given me good advice, very wise indeed. I think I will rent a cabin in the snow country, Either the white mountain, Arizona. or Park City, Utah. (as suggested by cimplexsound).

Anybody here who has a cabin for rent? PM me with a picture, price, location, availability date. I willing to pay a month rent + utility in advance (hold it for me) - even though my plan is get snowed under for a week +/_ ( I just wanna experience) - Unless, I am snowed in, and can't get out, then it maybe a month. There will be two people, possibly three, between 500 - 1000 square feet, (+/_). I don't need all the comfort of home, as long as it has all the basic necessities... running water, shower, toilet, stove (fire place with log if possible ... yada..yada.. I hope my experience include a feel what the pioneers felt, or what the mountain people felt - living in a log cabin. Cabin should be far enough away from civilization, when I wake up I wanna see nothing but snow out my window. Ideally, I wouldn't mind one or two neighbor 50' - 100' away from me, just in case (I am forewarned).
Old 09-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Zion is a great idea. I can't think of a more beautiful place with snow. The RV park town is at the edge of the park with food nearby. Great, safe place to be snowed in. I wouldn't risk much more than that.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Evidently you don't cook or drink from your on board water tank with the antifreeze in it! Talk about bad tasting!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
No of course you can't drink the RV antifreeze. But with nighttime temps at -20 below in Park City, it is the best way to protect your onboard plumbing. These are the times of year when just have to break down and buy bottled water at the store.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Auxillary heater in wet bay, some insulation or heavy blanket on the floor of wet bay. Heated water hose (I made my own), best to top of tank and drain hose and use fresh water tank. Make sure to drain sewer hose thoroughly after dumping. Dump valve will freeze the quickest from my experiences.

Vent a fan or window while cooking showering etc. If you have a propane/electric refrigerator research what side to use? My brother froze up his refrigerator while we were in Breckenridge, CO at Tiger Run RV Resort, great place by the way. Top off fuel tank and propane tank if heating with propane. I would rent a larger bottle once you get to your destination and save the on board propane as a back up. I would also have alternative heat source just in case, I keep a couple of electric heaters, my aqua hot blew a hose off in -15 weather once.

Snow shovel and push broom will be handy. I would avoid driving on bad roads in RV as much as possible and wait out the road conditions until they improve, why risk it?

Do some research on this forum, many great threads already exist. Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wong View Post
Thanks for all who has reply. You've given me good advice, very wise indeed. I think I will rent a cabin in the snow country, Either the white mountain, Arizona. or Park City, Utah. (as suggested by cimplexsound).

Anybody here who has a cabin for rent? PM me with a picture, price, location, availability date. I willing to pay a month rent + utility in advance (hold it for me) - even though my plan is get snowed under for a week +/_ ( I just wanna experience) - Unless, I am snowed in, and can't get out, then it maybe a month. There will be two people, possibly three, between 500 - 1000 square feet, (+/_). I don't need all the comfort of home, as long as it has all the basic necessities... running water, shower, toilet, stove (fire place with log if possible ... yada..yada.. I hope my experience include a feel what the pioneers felt, or what the mountain people felt - living in a log cabin. Cabin should be far enough away from civilization, when I wake up I wanna see nothing but snow out my window. Ideally, I wouldn't mind one or two neighbor 50' - 100' away from me, just in case (I am forewarned).
There are many condos and cabins available for rent in the Park city area. Check www.parkcity.com and saltlakecity.craigslist.org. Remember watch the spammers on Craigslist. Check the weather in advance, at an altitude of 8000 feet Park City's weather can change from sunshine to down pour very quickly. There are a lot of property owners that list in Craigslist who are very legit though. This actually is a good time of year to start working on your winter travel plans. Come December Park City is a very popular place and everything is already rented out so I'd start checking around now while vacancies are still easy to come by. Parleys Summit is a really nice quiet community and your only 7 minutes for Park City. Downtown Park City always has condos for rent. I tell you Park City is nothing short of God's country. So check Craigslist and the KSL.com classifieds section. A lot of nice properties always listed there. Keyword search "Park City". Maybe we shall cross paths, I will be camping out in Park City one more time this year before I head to AZ for the winter. So Good Luck!!!!👍

Old 09-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
cimplexsound; Great idea. Do you wanna meet up? You find a suitable place. Reserve a space for me also in the same park. I can wire a deposit to the park to hold the space. Oh.. to avoid any potential misunderstanding. I am not gay.

Any place is ok with me. I don't need anything fancy, I don't need all the comfort of home. Only the basic stuff, electric, water, stove or fire place if possible.

PM me of your plan
Old 09-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #40

Look here, even though its about skiing they have a yurt on the mtn and they will take you up there in a snowcat and drop you off and come back and get you. https://www.helicopterskiing.com
Old 09-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wong View Post
cimplexsound; Great idea. Do you wanna meet up? You find a suitable place. Reserve a space for me also in the same park. I can wire a deposit to the park to hold the space. Oh.. to avoid any potential misunderstanding. I am not gay.

Any place is ok with me. I don't need anything fancy, I don't need all the comfort of home. Only the basic stuff, electric, water, stove or fire place if possible.

PM me of your plan
I generally don't handle financial transaction over the Internet. But try the Holiday Hills RV park in Coalville. About 15 miles east of Park City on I-80. Just Google Holiday Hills RV Park Coalville and their phone number will pop right up. It's $28 a night and I think it is $380.00 per month. They have sewer, water and electric, both 30 & 50 amp service. They can accommodate motorhomes up to 45 feet long. You can reserve a spot over the phone and pay for it when you get there. It's right by I-80 and just across the bridge from Coalville, and Park City is only a 10 minute drive away. It's a lovely spot in the country, and you will probably be swimming in white powder this winter. Hopefully God willing it will be a wet winter this year. I'll try and get their phone number so you can call them with any questions.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #42

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442233911.555737.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	106856

Here is the number to Holiday Hills RV park. Give them a call. I think you will be very pleased with the park . It is well maintained. Central laundry, public showers and bathroom, lots of nice forested areas to walk around thats also ideal for fishing, 30 and 50 amp service. Gas station, convenient store it's all right there. The park is very quiet, I was pleased. Other than the noise of passing cars on I-80 I found it to be very peaceful. You go to the gas station convenient store when you arrive to pay for your spot and get a map of the park. They even have a nice older gentleman who will help you find your spot. It's very quiet during the winter months, because summer is the busy season. If you let me know when your coming , I might just bring my RV up for a night and have an over night camp out.

Tags
camping, rving