Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #1

Question RVing in California for newbies

My partner and I are from Canada and plan to rent a Tiffin Allegro Class A Gas coach in late October this year and tour some California in it.

Neither of us has been to California before nor have we ever been in a RV much left rented one. We are considering purchasing one in the near future but this opportunity came up to rent a high-end 32í gas coach allowing us to get a feeling for what most of you love.

My question is can anybody suggest a complete itinerary including what to see and suggestions for full hook-up highe-end RV resorts to stay at so we can plan and book ahead to make the most of our trip. The gentleman renting the RV is located in San Diego and he says itís completely furnished including bedding and even includes a propane Weber BBQ so we are fine for what goes into the coach but not where to take the coach! We tried using Google and reading forums but it's all but impossible to separate true reviews from sites just trying to sell you something. We donít want to end up hating RV life just because we made some poor decisions on where to stay!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #2

My bad... I think I put this in the wrong forum - sorry. I rarely start a thread and it shows (grin).

Old 06-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #3

Welcome to iRV2.

Does the rental include a toad, or bikes, something to get around in besides the coach?
If you have to break camp and drive the coach every where, and try and find parking for it, you're not going to have any fun.

JMHO: Although setting up a trailer or a fifth wheel is more work , at least you have the truck to get around in, to see the sights and get groceries.
I winter 4>5 months in Southern California every year and can think of lots of the places I've seen/been to, in the past 8 years that I wouldn't try to take my coach.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #4

Since Calif. is so large and diverse, you may want to get get the free California Official State Visitor's Guide, Official State Map & Road Trips Guide. Link below.
California Official State Visitor's Guide, Official State Map & Road Trips Guide | Visit California

Also, you can map out what you want to see and the locations, then check on a campground at the link below to make sure it meets your expectations. Lot's of good info there.
Hope you have a great RVing experience and happy trails. Beware though, it is habit forming.
RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
Old 06-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #5

It all depends on what you want to see and how much time you have. Also like said before if you will be towing a Toad you will have a lot more options. Give us some details and we can help you with some of the places you will want to stay at.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #6

Thanks guys... no Toad or bikes... just the RV. I never considered driving around in a 32 foot RV might be an issue but I'm learning. I just figured we visit places during the day and stay at Rv resorts at night. We'll have 7 days and 6 nights and we have to start and end in San Diego. There must be places you can visit where you can also park an Rv!
Old 06-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #7

It all depends on what you want to do. Basically you are starting out in the southern most part of California. You are about a 6-8 hour drive from the Sierras if you want to go hiking and fishing ect. You can also rent a car and tour Yosemite National Park. Depending on the weather late October can be iffy but if the weather holds out it's really a great time of year to see the Sierras.

If you like the Desert, you can be there in a couple of hours and find numerous places to Dry camp or RV parks with full hook ups. The desert has usually cooled down by Mid October and is beautiful weather about that time of year. You could also take off to Las Vegas, which would be about a 6 hour drive and there are numerous RV parks there.

If you are looking for Beach type vacationing, pretty much I'd Park it at in one of the San Diego area CG's and just go from there. Most of those CG's have trolleys that will take you to various places like Sea World or the San Diego Zoo, Downtown for dining, ect.

If you want to take the Coastal route you can take the 101 all the way up to Oregon, which can be done in a weeks time round trip, but not much time for exploring. Stay away from San Francisco on the 101, but otherwise it's a beautiful drive all along the coast. If you wanted to just do the San Francisco area, that would be about 12 hours of drive time in the MH but there are several places to stop for the night along the way, Pismo Beach, Monterey, Morro Bay ect. you really need to look at a map and plan your route based on what your interests are and the anticipated drive time. I would add about 30 minutes drive time for every 100 miles driven in a MH vs a car.

When you have a better idea of the areas you want to stay in and see, then people will start giving you recommendations of places to stay that are nice RV parks and have things to see that are in walking distance or have some transportation options.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulJohn6969 View Post
Thanks guys... no Toad or bikes... just the RV. I never considered driving around in a 32 foot RV might be an issue but I'm learning. I just figured we visit places during the day and stay at Rv resorts at night. We'll have 7 days and 6 nights and we have to start and end in San Diego. There must be places you can visit where you can also park an Rv!

Ok, let's see.. In late Oct Death Valley might be an option as there will be only light traffic and big areas to park. Other choices might be San Diego and San Francisco, they both have good public transportation allowing you to simply leave your unit set up at an RV park. Make no mistake, driving a 32 ft Motorhome around like a car in California will be challenging.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
Ok, let's see.. In late Oct Death Valley might be an option as there will be only light traffic and big areas to park. Other choices might be San Diego and San Francisco, they both have good public transportation allowing you to simply leave your unit set up at an RV park. Make no mistake, driving a 32 ft Motorhome around like a car in California will be challenging.

Oh, forgot That Yosemite might also be a good bet if you are able to get a reservation at one of their campgrounds. They have an excellent free shuttle service throughout the Valley.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #10

If new to an rv forget yosemite in an rv.

Traffic is horrible and last time we went we walked from mirror lake back to yosemite falls where we were parked because the traffic was not moving snd shuttle driver gave us that instruction.

General grant or sequoia is less traffic and being higher altitude cooler...is 98 in yosemite right now...30 to 40 miles from here as crow flies.

Look at finding campgrounds in cool spots that also have enterprise car rental as they come to you.

If yosemite is must then look at YARTS as they are starting shuttle from Fresno for about $15.00 per person including admission.

If you like it hot then central valley and yosemite with shuttle or rental and if you like cool stay on coast.

Or a very long trip would be 395 to east side sierra and hit death valley mono lake bodie and other out of the way places then hit lake Tahoe or Reno and come across to either 5 to return in valley or continue across through bay to 101 and hit the coast cities.

From central ca everything in the world is a gas tank away so look at what you would like to see or do then use the weater channel to check the weather and then plan your trip.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulJohn6969 View Post
My partner and I are from Canada and plan to rent a Tiffin Allegro Class A Gas coach in late October this year and tour some California in it.

Neither of us has been to California before nor have we ever been in a RV much left rented one. We are considering purchasing one in the near future but this opportunity came up to rent a high-end 32í gas coach allowing us to get a feeling for what most of you love.

My question is can anybody suggest a complete itinerary including what to see and suggestions for full hook-up highe-end RV resorts to stay at so we can plan and book ahead to make the most of our trip. The gentleman renting the RV is located in San Diego and he says itís completely furnished including bedding and even includes a propane Weber BBQ so we are fine for what goes into the coach but not where to take the coach! We tried using Google and reading forums but it's all but impossible to separate true reviews from sites just trying to sell you something. We donít want to end up hating RV life just because we made some poor decisions on where to stay!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul.
Since you are newby at this and considering purchasing, I would not recommend driving the RV a lot of miles. Maybe stay in San Diego a few nights at a place like Chula Vista or Campland on the Bay. Rent a car and visit Seaworld, the Zoo, Wild animal park etc. Then drive up to Orange County and stay at Huntington Beach, a place called Sunset Vista. Just a converted parking lot in the fall and winter with hookups but right next to the beach and close to a fun town Huntington Beach. MUST get reservations three months before arriving. From there, again rent a car and do Disney, Knotts, or just hang out at the beach. Three days in each location will do you fine and give you a feeling for the rv lifestyle. And a small bit of driving. Just pick the right times to drive up I-5 and I-405 to avoid traffic.

Have fun.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFINIT View Post
Since you are newby at this and considering purchasing, I would not recommend driving the RV a lot of miles. Maybe stay in San Diego a few nights at a place like Chula Vista or Campland on the Bay. Rent a car and visit Seaworld, the Zoo, Wild animal park etc. Then drive up to Orange County and stay at Huntington Beach, a place called Sunset Vista. Just a converted parking lot in the fall and winter with hookups but right next to the beach and close to a fun town Huntington Beach. MUST get reservations three months before arriving. From there, again rent a car and do Disney, Knotts, or just hang out at the beach. Three days in each location will do you fine and give you a feeling for the rv lifestyle. And a small bit of driving. Just pick the right times to drive up I-5 and I-405 to avoid traffic.

Have fun.
Actually this doesn't sound like a bad plan , considering that I've been visiting California since 1964 and there are still places I haven't been , trying to see a large part of what the state has to offer in a week just isn't do-able.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:07 PM   #13

If you like wine tours and maybe the beach look at Paso Robles CA just north of San luis Obispo. Wine Country RV Park and others is right in the middle of 320 wineries. Get a rental car in Paso and tour and also go out to Cambria and the Hearst Castle out on the beach. Oct is a great time to go there. Driving there will give you an idea of how you like traveling in the RV and then a few days of wine tours and beach stuff will fill out your week of adventure.
Get good instructions on how to drain and fill the holding tanks and expect 7 to 10 miles per gallon on gas.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:24 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Hey PaulJohn, We like Mission Bay RV park in SD. if you want a short drive to get familiar with the unit. We also like Flying Flags in Buellton and Wine Country RV in Paso Robles. That could be a good start! Beach and then Wine Country!

Tags
california, newbie, newbies, rving