Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2016, 11:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You might find this article interesting: Exposing the 18' CB Coax Myth

Stu has an unusual ability and skill, some what rare on the internet. Most all his information is correct.

You undoubtedly referenced the OP to that article on coaxial cable to illustrate the fact that coaxial cable length is not relevant in an RF transmission line. Again this is true.

But the co-ax feed line in a NGP (no ground plane antenna) is not a transmission line in this application. The shield of the co-ax is a tuned element and directly related to the length of the antenna whip. The whip is not electronically interchangeable with any type of ground plane antenna.

The cable and antenna are sold as a pre-tuned unit and neither element can be altered and still operate as intended. This means that the co-axial cable can not be extended from the length originally supplied.

Also may be helpful to know that while a NGP antenna may give acceptable VSWR readings, it will, at best, give 20% less performance in transmitting and less obviously degraded reception. This is usually accepted as a fair trade given the alternatives.

Phil

PSOUZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 05:15 AM   #30

I sent an email inquiry to Stu regarding my intent to mount the antenna to the rear roof access ladder.
He said a regular antenna will work fine because the ladder is attached (grounded) to the chassiss so it provides an adequate ground plane.
He also confirmed that the length of a good coax will not significantly degrade the performance.
He recommends RG8X coax as the best option.
I know the CB talk can be a little bawdy but I don't have kids to worry about. It kind of reminds me of happy hour at the Chief's club.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know your rig but I would check grounding of the ladder. Most are not grounded but attached to wood and fiberglass. But would be simple to ground the ladder from the lower attachment to the RV frame.

LEN
Old 03-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSOUZA View Post
Stu has an unusual ability and skill, some what rare on the internet. Most all his information is correct.

You undoubtedly referenced the OP to that article on coaxial cable to illustrate the fact that coaxial cable length is not relevant in an RF transmission line. Again this is true.

But the co-ax feed line in a NGP (no ground plane antenna) is not a transmission line in this application. The shield of the co-ax is a tuned element and directly related to the length of the antenna whip. The whip is not electronically interchangeable with any type of ground plane antenna.

The cable and antenna are sold as a pre-tuned unit and neither element can be altered and still operate as intended. This means that the co-axial cable can not be extended from the length originally supplied.

Also may be helpful to know that while a NGP antenna may give acceptable VSWR readings, it will, at best, give 20% less performance in transmitting and less obviously degraded reception. This is usually accepted as a fair trade given the alternatives.

Phil
Good point. Be aware that to my knowledge the only NGP antennas that utilize the feedline as a ground plane are CB NGP antennas. If you are mounting a VHF or UHF antenna that requires no ground plane then it is likely a half wave antenna in which case the feedline length is also not a concern.
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Don't know your rig but I would check grounding of the ladder. Most are not grounded but attached to wood and fiberglass. But would be simple to ground the ladder from the lower attachment to the RV frame.

LEN
I plan to check with a meter to be sure it's grounded and has good conductivity.
I don't need to be a channel controller so a couple of miles is good enough.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1953 View Post
The only time I turn the CB on is if the traffic comes to an abrupt halt on the interstate. It lets me know what's happened. I never talk on it ; there is so much abusive language, I have to turn it off.
DW and I travel in two vehicles often. Dumped the CB 25 years ago because of the foul language encountered far too often. We use FRS radios now and there is far less interference from others on the same freq.

GrumpyOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio