Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sad news-tire blowout

Yesterday near Columbia, SC on I-26 a Cass A (DP, Tag axle) towing a full size pic-up had a front tire blowout, crossed the median and hit a car and killed the driver of the car.

Has anyone tried these steering stabilizers like the Blue Ox True Center? Do they work?
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow. I thought we had bad luck last year when we had an inside rear blowout that took out a brake line. It cost us a day stranded, but nothing like this.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Yesterday near Columbia, SC on I-26 a Cass A (DP, Tag axle) towing a full size pic-up had a front tire blowout, crossed the median and hit a car and killed the driver.
Say a prayer for the survivors.
That has to be an awful experience.

Quote:
Has anyone tried these steering stabilizers like the Blue Ox True Center? Do they work?
I had a Safe T Plus installed on my P32 last month and I HATE IT!

Conjecture: Having this "extra set of hands" on the steering wheel fighting with me I believe creates more problems, and certainly for the hopefully 100's of thousands of miles I drive without a blowout, than it could possibly solve by being there.

Their ad copy says it "takes the work and worry out of driving under the most rigorous conditions" and thaat may even be true. My observation is that such conditions occur about at a ratio of less than 1 mile in 100,000 and during the other 99,000 miles I'd rather have full control in my OWN hands.

Maybe the true center is worth the money but I'm going to take this other thing off and sell it to someone who believes in it.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #4

I suppose a firm grip on the wheel is the best practice. Sad.. Don't know how to respond. Hail Mary!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #5

With or without steering stabilizers, a firm grip on the steering wheel is ALWAYS recommended. Never-the-less, I have seen too many reports of those who had steering stabilizers installed who also had front tire blow-outs and steering control was safely maintained, in large part usually attributed to the steering stabilizer. I had a Steer Safe installed on our rig a year ago and the ability to control the rig when the front tires were subjected to sometimes severe steering events is remarkable. I went from sometimes white fisted driving to now a 100% very comfortable steering control, just like a car.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Installed Safe T Plus on my last two motorhomes. I like how it stabilizes/influences the steering. A nice improvement. I hope I never have to test it with a blowout, but I'm confident it would be a help.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Michelin North America RV Videos and Demos Page
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good video, thanks.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #9

Great Video, but believe me, getting on that accelerator takes the most self discipline that you will ever be asked to exhibit. It goes against all natural instincts to get on the brake or at the very least just get the cruise off and let it coast!! It really does work IF you can train yourself to react properly. This is something that takes a constant reminder to ourselves and going over in our mind until it becomes engrained and instinctive. Practice in your mind and be prepared.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logthumper View Post
I like how it stabilizes/influences the steering.
Well Thumper, you chose a good word there: influence. All I can say is that I find the effect of this "influence" on day to day constantly changing road surface highway driving to be... disturbing. It's like having a phantom or ghost driver up there with me. But one who wants to go their own way.

And I totally get the idea behind having **something** there... just in case... backing us up in that emergency. This is why I put it on afterall.

Question to the Collective:
Do the Super Steer that Ed_G descibed using or the Tru Center (with dashboard mount reset gizmo) have a similar "influence" during the other 99 44/100% of the driving we do?

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Yesterday near Columbia, SC on I-26 a Cass A (DP, Tag axle) towing a full size pic-up had a front tire blowout, crossed the median and hit a car and killed the driver of the car.

First the very best thing you can do you must do NOW before you blow a tire

On the RV.net forums I think in "General RV" but it might be "Class A" is a link to some videos, I will try to copy it here WATCH THE VIDEOS

The thread is titled "Watching this video may save your life"

They are not kidding

Ok, it is in BEGINNING RVing and it is the very first thread (A sticky)

Michelin North America RV Videos and Demos Page

It is also the above link

Now.. As for the Blue Ox True-Center and others. Some folks think the 275 pounds max force the True-Center exerts is not enough.. I think any amout helps and the fact you can re-center the True-Center from the driver's seat makes it the very best in my not very humble opinion

I can tell you it makes one BIG difference on my Workhorse Mine failed under recall or tsb and is currently either waiting for me to pick it up in Davison or on the bench in Pender, NE. I'm calling them soon as I hit SEND to check on it.

The others are not as easy to adjust... but some even help more

But the #1 thing to do is CLICK THAT LINK

The son of the owner of the motor home in that video is a retired police officer who speaks at FMCA conventions and teaches RV safety.. He runs the video as part of his training class too.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by InPursuit View Post
Say a prayer for the survivors.
That has to be an awful experience.

I had a Safe T Plus installed on my P32 last month and I HATE IT!

Conjecture: Having this "extra set of hands" on the steering wheel fighting with me I believe creates more problems, and certainly for the hopefully 100's of thousands of miles I drive without a blowout, than it could possibly solve by being there.

Their ad copy says it "takes the work and worry out of driving under the most rigorous conditions" and thaat may even be true. My observation is that such conditions occur about at a ratio of less than 1 mile in 100,000 and during the other 99,000 miles I'd rather have full control in my OWN hands.

Maybe the true center is worth the money but I'm going to take this other thing off and sell it to someone who believes in it.
I would suggest you have the installation checked. I have the Safe T Plus on my coach and it does not impair your ability to steer or otherwise make you feel like you are fighting the coach. Perhaps it is not adjusted properly. The steering must be straight on when it is installed.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I have had a Safe T Plus on three motorhomes. After initial installation on each motorhome it had to be "fine tuned". It felt like it pulled one way or the other and I had to maintain constant pressure on the steering wheel to go straight down the highway. After the fine tune adjustments it worked great. I never had a blow out but sure helped on my smaller motorhomes when there were excessive cross winds. I'd recommend it or a similar product.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

A tragic story but count me among those who are very happy with their Safe T Steer units.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote