Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #1

Safari Cascade air bags

Does anyone out there have info on the air bags on a 2009 Cascade?
Need manufacture name so I maybe get booklet.
I got very few booklets with unit and Monoco says they don't have anything.All I have is a owners manual for a 2008 Simba.

Any help would be appreciated.

mhollis

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #2

I don't think there was any booklet/manual for the air bags with ours either. Also have no idea who manufactures the bags, but i'll bet if you went under the coach and looked at one of them, there is a manufacturer brand on it somewhere. Probably Firestone.

By the way- The rig you own now had been called a Simba RD in 2008- which is why you would have a Simba Owners Manual.

I would contact Corporate Office to get a copy of my Owners Packet if your dealer has not/does not come up with a copy for you. Since this is a new model for 2009, they may not have been available when you bought, but if you persist, they will find one for you.

91320 Coburg Industrial Way
Coburg, OR 97408
Phone: (541) 686-8011
Toll Free: (800) 634-0855

Old 12-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Your Cascade has a Roadmaster RR4R chassis and Roadmaster is part of Navistar/Monaco. Just who their vendor is for the airbags I do not know, but nothing the air bag manufacturer could tell you is likely to be helpful to the owner/driver of the coach. What is it you are trying to find out?

Here is a 2009 Cascade brochure that tells a bit about the chassis:

http://www.rvsuperstore.net/2009_bro...l_brochure.pdf
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

According to the Safari Cascade brochure, your Cascade has a Roadmaster RR4R chassis and Roadmaster is part of Navistar/Monaco. Just who their vendor is for the airbags I do not know, but nothing the air bag manufacturer could tell you is likely to be helpful to the owner/driver of the coach. What is it you are trying to find out?

And the Roadmaster RR4R info is here:
http://www.roadmasterchassis.com/chassis/rr4r.html
Old 12-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #5

MHollis- Welcome to iRV2. I see this is your first post and we hope to see many more from you.

Since you have the RR4R chassis, you may want to do a search on the Forums here for "cracked trailing arms." This is a problem that may affect your 09. You will find more than you need to know to diagnose whether this will affect you, and to fix the problem as well.

Check out the UserCP feature above left. You can add a "signature" to your posts so your rig info automatically appears and folks don't need a reminder of your coach mfgr, year, length, etc. each time you post a question or answer one.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #6

Ride

The ride and handling are not very good, just trying to get more info on whole rig.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
Your Cascade has a Roadmaster RR4R chassis and Roadmaster is part of Navistar/Monaco. Just who their vendor is for the airbags I do not know, but nothing the air bag manufacturer could tell you is likely to be helpful to the owner/driver of the coach. What is it you are trying to find out?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Well, with 4 air bags and a solid front axle, it is never going to be great. Slightly better than a leaf spring chassis, but not great. The Roadmaster chassis doesn't get real good until you step up to the RR8 (8 air bag and floating sub-frame) model in the more expensive coaches.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #8

Gary- never say never. I've got a solid front axle, 4-bag chassis, that rides fabulous and corners way tighter than the dishes in the cabinets or the wife will allow . Ride depends on a lot of factors. I don't know if it is easier to tune an independent front suspension for tight but smooth response, but the proof is in the driving, not the spec sheet.

Many coaches suffer from lousy weight distribution. A too-light front end produces a twitchy response. I've felt that twitchiness driving a 36' Country Coach (IFS, custom, much-hyped chassis), and read a lot of complaints in the CC yahoo group from the same problem. On the shortest (34') Alpines, the mfgr added a series of solid steel bars to the front of the chassis (~500# of steel weight) to adjust for the shorter, lighter front end, and get the famous Alpine ride out of the lighter rig. Shocks, ride height, ride height control properties, degree of anti-sway control, alignment specs, and air bag design (volume vs. height) also have their contributions.

The easiest way to get a rock solid ride is add a tag axle, but that costs in weight, lost storage, and expense (extra equipment to buy & maintain, 2 more tires).

Mike & Mary- IIWYI'd get the coach weighed full of fuel & water, empty storage tanks (or something close to that, down to the last pound doesn't make you any hay). Figure the weight per tire (you can do this on most public scales if you can't weigh by tire by weighing front, then rear, then one side and solving for each tire). Then check against chassis specs for axle capacity. You are probably about 70/30 rear/front right now. Don't know about specs on the RR4R, but closer to 60/40 will settle a lot of ride problems down. Gotta be cognizant of tire capacity as well, and you don't want to overload the front end (axle, steering or tire ratings). If you are still unsatisfied w/the ride, you can check with ride experts like Henderson's Line-Up for ways you can retool the ride. Redlands RV (southern CA, and a sponsor here) and other shops carry Henderson's products (they can tell you who) and have the equipment to improve ride dramatically. E.g. if you do a search here on iRV2 for "Redlands" you will find a variety of customer testimonials on ride quality that basically boil down to, "holy cow! I can't believe the difference!!!" These same shops can check out the trailing arm issue on your RR4R chassis.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Mike...
He complained about the ride as well as the handling. Besides, its a very subjective thing. Sort of like beauty, it is in the eye (or in this case, the seat of the pants) of the beholder.

I've had two leaf spring, solid axle, coaches that handled well enough, including one with a tag axle, but the ride was nothing to brag about in either one. At least not compared to full air.