Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Safari Simba 30sfs 2009-Dome Satellite Installation

Good morning,
I have a Safari Simba 30sfs 2009, and just purchased a Winegard Roadtrip SD dome satellite.
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on installation - size of hole to drill, how deep, positioning, etc.? I understand from Monaco that the M/H is prewired, but not for 12 volt. Any suggestions on how to do this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Mario Ross

marioross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
I recently installed a Winegard Travel'r on my 32' MH. It was pookey (non-leveling), then secure with about 12 screws. I ran the cables from the antenna located about mid point on the RV (just ensure it can see the sky as the Winegard instructions specify (nothing w/in 36" over 12" high as I recall - it will be different for your smaller antenna)), to the front of the MH in plastic channel (Home Depot) secured with clips every four feet (length of a section of channel). At the front I used the Winegard plate (about 3.5" square and secured by 6/8 screws) with lots of pookey (non leveling). As I recall the holes were 1/4-inch (may elongate slightly) for the cable(s). If you have XM or S, there is room to also run that antenna cable under the plate. If you don't have a plate, I'd try to buy one from Winegard even for a different antenna install; it works very well.
Power from the control box is provided to the antenna through the (4 conductor?) cable.
I believe you can down load the Instructions at the Winegard site if you don't have them.
I can highly recommend the Travel'r as it installed in about 2 hours or so and worked out of the box perfectly.

Ernie n Tara

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
Check your email Mario!
Ray, Sandra, and Zorro
2009 Safari Simba 34SBD
Workhorse (Of Course!)
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
We just bought a 2013 Thor Hurricane 33g. I am planning on installing a Wingard Mission In Motion Satalite dome. I need some sugestions about running the Coax and power wires. My dealer said that when they do this install they remove the regular antena and use those wirers. I dont want to do that and I want to have the option of using that Antenna if needed.
I am concerned about drilling unnessary holes into the roof of my new RV and was hoping to see a video or hear from someone about how best to do this. I am also concerned about the difficuly of fishing wires through and down the length of the roof.
I just installed a XANTREX XPOWER 3000 INVERTER GFCI & REMOTE ON/OFF and transfer switch along with additional house batteries so I know this cant be harder than that was.
I can't located any info on the web and will have to rely on the great talant of RV owners on this Forum.
Havic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my roof dish installation, the cables run forward to the front cap then enter above the right front cabinet. The front cap only has loose insulation that can be moved easily but the RV roof has Styrofoam insulation that would be difficult to route the wires through.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 120K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
Coming in through the front cap is a good option as its much safer that disturbing the epdm or rubber roof.
Its also very easy to access the cables in the front cabinets.
The other option is to use the cables at the existing antenna IF you are not going to use it any longer.
Also the front cap fiberglass is easily repaired if you remove the cables later.

Rusty & Kelly Glen
2000 Bounder 43ft double slide > constantly evolving toad, full timers.
Country entertainer/RV Tech/ Mechanic
honkytonkinn is offline   Reply With Quote