Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
Safe-T-Plus steering damper

Has anyone had experience with the safe-t-plus steering damper. I have a 2004 Holiday Rambler with the workhorse W22 chassis and am experiences steering wheel feedback on rough roads and ruts. The motorhome has new front tires and recent alignment. Tracks down the road and rides ok. Let we know if it is worth spending the money.
Thanks Paul-McRae428

mcrae428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I had one on my Workhorse Itasca and loved it. It does help to manage road ruts, some shimmy and potholes. It will make the steering a bit stiffer but still easy with the power steering. I liked it so much I pulled it off when I traded the Itasca in last week. It is a bit tricky to get it centererd in alignment but a few test drives and tweaking will take care of it.

It was only a year old and can be used on my new Freightliner chassis with a change of mounting brackets, if I decide its needed. When I drove the Itasca to the dealer I could really feel the difference without it. Just my opinion others may vary.

Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists"
2015 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA
Previously '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A on a W22 Workhorse
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with Lt Dan, had one on our previous MH, Ford F53 chasis, and really noticed a difference, well worth the $$$. On our current MH, we really do not need one as the steering and handling are perfect, however after watching the video of that Tuscany blow a tire and end up on its side, ordered up one, it just arrived yesterday, going to install this weekend.
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had one installed years ago before our first trip around the country. Was thinking DW would help with driving. Lucky thinking I guess. I wanted front blow out control if needed. I works fantastic. Especially when passing large trucks in the opposite lane of a two lane.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
Thanks for all the info-looks like I should spend the money!
mcrae428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
Got Steer Safe installed on our first MH, '95 HR Endeavor DP because it did not want to track straight. I had a blowout on passenger front while on I-10 @ 65 mph on cruise control. No problem pulling onto the shoulder. I have no idea whether or not the SS helped. In retrospect, I suspect I should have had a quality alignment shop such as Josam's in Orlando fix whatever the steering problem was rather than putting on a bandaid like the SS, but I was younger and even dumber. The best blowout protection seems to be Tyron Bands: Tyron.co.uk - Why Tyron - motorhomes - fit tyron for life - and save money!
But they are very expensive. And sometimes its hard to find a shop to install them. Its your money, take your pick.
Frank W. '09 Cayman 38 SBD '08 CRV
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:45 PM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Safe T Plus has a DIY Installation video on YouTube. The STPlus has a life time warrantee. To test to see if it is working, just jack the front wheels off the ground together. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and let go. Steering Wheel should return to center automatically. Do again turning wheel in other direction.
I have had the Safe T Plus on my prior 2 RVs and again on my current RV.

Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote