Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #15

I had camping world put on steer safe on my 34f class a hurricane and it has done the job.
Jim
JIM Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #16

I have been thinking about adding both the Safe-T-Plus stabilizer and the in-line air bag motion dampers to our DP. I have a Spartan Alpine-GT chassis with the I-beam straight front axle.

I have corrected (and check semi-regularly) the ride height and will be installing the new Koni's soon.

Has anyone else added the stabilizer and air bag motion control dampers with either new Koni or Bilstein shocks with noticable results?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #17

I bought the Roadmaster Tru Trac and the Bilstein steering damper. I had both installed this week. I decided not to do the install because of the crowded nature of the stuff in that area.

Taking the MH back to the storage area we go through a section of road called Dead Mans Curve, a sharp reverse S, off camber. The MH drove like a new vehicle with substantial improvements in tracking and stability. Couldn't go down to Calico as planned today because of a surprise snow fall and R2 chain restrictions in Big Bear.

Will go tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:06 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had both the Safe T Plus and the Roadmaster Trac bars. My motorhome drives 100% better. A complete different world.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #19

We had the Saft-T-plus installed last spring and have driven 5,000 miles now . It is so much better when the trucks go by and wind gust come your way. It was woth the money for me cna drink my drink and drive with one hand. Before I had both hands on the wheel and if I did not my wife would let me know every time a gust of wind would rock the coach . We got ours at a FMCA Ralley for 500.00 dolars installed . hope this helps.
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:17 AM   #20

I've taken a few more short trips with the new Tru Trac and the Bilstein Steering Damper. The MH did not have a steering damper before. The difference from before and after is amazing. After the change while crossing the Mojave I had severe crosswinds and I was unable to tell their direction, my guess was wrong the coach was stable. When semis passed I noticed little pull and push.

Seems the Bilstein and the Tru Trac did their job.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:46 AM   #21
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
On my 1999 F53 chassis there is the Davis Tru-trac on the front with a Saf-T-Steer (the big "shock absorber"). On the back is a Henderson rear track bar. The front one really helps in those 18 wheeler ruts. The back bar really helps in cross winds and when an 18-wheeler blasts on by (travel at 60mph as a good speed to get there but get better mpg).
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #22

May be late to the discussion here, but I went from nothing up front and white knuckles to just recently updating to the Davis/Roadmaster Trac Bar and also the Koni Steering Stabilizer with the Saf-t-plus mounting brackets. It truly drives like an SUV on cornering when before I was hanging on for dear life I felt and very tipsy. I took some pretty nast corners and never felt anything in my seat or sweating of the hands.

Also, I have a sway bar out back, so that in addition to front has helped me overall.

2004 Damon Intruder 369/W22
Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:44 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we bought our 04 Southwind this summer it was scary to drive on I95 with the big trucks and offshore winds. We installed a Safe-T-Plus and it made a big difference. Then I installed Koni shocks on all four wheels. Now it has to be a extremely strong gust to have any real scary effect. Expensive but well worth the cost. I figure it's for comfort and insurance.

08 Mini Cooper Tow
T Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #24

Quikduk, have you install your Safe-T-Plus stabilizer if so where did you buy it? Do you have a rear stabilzer on your coach if so what kind?<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by quikduk:
I have been thinking about adding both the Safe-T-Plus stabilizer and the in-line air bag motion dampers to our DP. I have a Spartan Alpine-GT chassis with the I-beam straight front axle.

I have corrected (and check semi-regularly) the ride height and will be installing the new Koni's soon.

Has anyone else added the stabilizer and air bag motion control dampers with either new Koni or Bilstein shocks with noticable results? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
I added the Safe-t-plus to my 1999 coach when I bought it for the handling features and was pleased with the results. Last year I unfortunately was able to experience the other benefit of the device, handling during a blowout.
I have a heavy foot and was traveling with a group doing 70+mph. I was passing an 18 wheeler when my right front tire blew and took the side panel with it. I heard the tire blow but did not feel it and without any problem drove the MH into the median. Fortunately one of the vehicles in our group is equipped for anything and quickly changed the tire for me.
I recently bought a new coach and one of the first things I did was add a Safe-t-plus.

Olive
2007 Winnie Journey
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:16 AM   #26

James M.,

I haven't purchased one yet. I did add the Koni's and they really transformed the ride. I still think that the motion control and Safe-T-Plus are necessary on our particular air-ride chassis and will add them as soon as I can.

Re: the stabilizer bars, our chassis has two very large stabilizer bars from the factory. They are about 1-1/4" diameter and both axles also have a huge trac-bar mounted to keep things centered.

All in all, the Spartan chassis folks really now how to make a beefy chassis. I think that they just need to fine tune things a bit but that all comes at a cost.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #27

Road Report of the Bilsteen Steering Damper and Tru Trac combo.

Finally put some miles on in very high winds with high truck traffic on I-40. With the 2 changes there was about a 95% improvement in handling.

The winds were crosswinds at 60 mph plus. Strong enough to take the drivers door into the windshield breaking it.

Steering correction with the crosswinds was so deceivingly mild that I was not aware how bad the winds were till I stopped to fill up. When trucks passed their bow waves were noticeable about 10% of the time and I don't remember the vacuum as they passed at all. The rest of the coach has Bilstein shocks and air ride bags in the rear. It is a 1991 HR 31'.

I can highly recommend this setup.