Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #1

The Safe-T-Plus is about 4 times the cost of the Bilstein is it worth the difference. My 1991 F53 chassis does not have a steering damper. It does have new Bilstein shocks and airbags. Coming back on the I15 with stiff crosswinds 40 mph + and 70 mph + big rigs I noticed a push when the truck approached and a pull when it departed. Movement was up to 18 inches when included with a wind gust 24 inches or more.

It seems to me the Safe-T-Plus is mechanical in it's design whereas the Bilstein is gas pressure design. I could put 4 of these on for the same price as one Safe-T-plus.

So who has experience with each and what do you think.

I understand antisway devices are a separate issue and I am looking at the tru trac.

Thanks ahead of time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #2

The Safe-T-Plus is about 4 times the cost of the Bilstein is it worth the difference. My 1991 F53 chassis does not have a steering damper. It does have new Bilstein shocks and airbags. Coming back on the I15 with stiff crosswinds 40 mph + and 70 mph + big rigs I noticed a push when the truck approached and a pull when it departed. Movement was up to 18 inches when included with a wind gust 24 inches or more.

It seems to me the Safe-T-Plus is mechanical in it's design whereas the Bilstein is gas pressure design. I could put 4 of these on for the same price as one Safe-T-plus.

So who has experience with each and what do you think.

I understand antisway devices are a separate issue and I am looking at the tru trac.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought SAFE-T-PLUS and had it install in Florida last year after wild trip down.
It was a wild trip home with strong winds and trucks etc. I held my own with the safe-t-plus.
I seen pulltrailers and vehicles drift from center to the shoulder in some gusts. I at least
stayed in my lane. My MH was a 2 hand drive now can drive one handed and the other at the ready.
this is just opinion
Old 01-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Donlock:
We bought SAFE-T-PLUS and had it install in Florida last year after wild trip down.
It was a wild trip home with strong winds and trucks etc. I held my own with the safe-t-plus.
I seen pulltrailers and vehicles drift from center to the shoulder in some gusts. I at least
stayed in my lane. My MH was a 2 hand drive now can drive one handed and the other at the ready.
this is just opinion </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You use two hands?.....

Thanks for the info. I was thunking that with the bilstein you could easily double it up if you had too. I wish there were some specs available for the two.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Get in touch with both of them and ask them why theirs is better than the other guys. Also, have them send you info as well as endorsements and user reviews.

I have the Safe-T-Plus but I don't think the Bilstein was availbale when I installed mine.

John
Old 01-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #6

I had Safe-T Plus on my winne ... my Gulfstream came with Safety-Steer ... I am changing to Safe-T-Plus

Best Regards, Clyde
Old 01-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #7

The safe-t-plus self centers,there is a differance to just dampening.I guess its all in the wording the sales pitch uses.I have a safe-t-plus and it does what its designed to do.It didnt solve all my handeling issues though.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #8

I received the Tru-Trac yesterday and the Bilstein steering damper today. We are supposed to get a strong winter storm tonight with warming later in the week. If I can find a dry spot at the storage place I'll install them and my new heater core shut off ball valve.

Then I am all done for awhile, except for installing the battery monitor. Be camping at Calico the weekend of the Feb. 15th yanking the YJ for the Calico OHV Cleanup and doing some wheeling.

Did some today... Black Diamond - Gold Mountain - turned around when the snow pack got greater than 3'. With 1' - 2' we were doing pretty good but 3'+ with a winter storm coming say turn around. We did use the winches and straps for some guests that joined our little caravan. Nothing like doing a Black Diamond Mt. trail in snow.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Forest Grump:
So who has experience with each and what do you think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Forest Gump, With he signs that you describe regarding your motorhome, I think that your situation can be controlled best by the use of track bars. That's what I would be looking at first.

I do have a "blue" Safe-T-Plus device on my motorhome. My STP is mated with a Tru-Track front track bar. The combination is like a 1 - 2 punch and reduces the amount of steering effort while driving the motorhome.

The most bang for my buck was a rear track bar installed first. Our vehicle profiles most likely differ greatly and my motorhome may yield differnt results than yours.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:57 AM   #10

I have been thinking about adding a rear track bar. What brand did you install and was it a do it yourself project? I am undecided between a steer safe or safe-t-steer.

Thanks, Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Forest Grump:
So who has experience with each and what do you think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Forest Gump, With he signs that you describe regarding your motorhome, I think that your situation can be controlled best by the use of track bars. That's what I would be looking at first.

I do have a "blue" Safe-T-Plus device on my motorhome. My STP is mated with a Tru-Track front track bar. The combination is like a 1 - 2 punch and reduces the amount of steering effort while driving the motorhome.

The most bang for my buck was a rear track bar installed first. Our vehicle profiles most likely differ greatly and my motorhome may yield differnt results than yours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

A track bar, e.g. the Davis TruTrak, will do much more for your handling than the Safe-T-Plus and doesn't cost any more. I highly recommend that instead.

For your chassis I think a front track bar like the Roadmaster/Davis will help most, but the Supersteer rear track bar would also work well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #12

Radmaster Davis Tru Trac is what I got for the front along with the Bilstein steering dampener. The 1991 F53 chassis does not have a steering dampener so it sure couldn't hurt.

The rear has the factory sway and since an addition in the rear is more costly than the Tru trac and the Bilstein combined by some margin I decided to start with the front. Both the Bilstein and the True trac are 4 bolts each.

You mount off the leaf spring U bolts _ expert with them on my jeep versus rock. You need a 250 LB. torque wrench and that is it. I have thant and I have both an 18 V. impact and a compressor operated impact for install.

BTW 18 V impact wrenches are great to change a tire with - many offroaders if they don't have an onboard converted AC/compressor for air tools often carry the 18v impact wrenches now.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:40 AM   #13

The front Trac Bar is the Davis/ Roadmaster, simplest design looks like it will do the best job. 4 bolts I will do it myself have the right tools same for the Bilstein. The rear bar I am waiting to decide on. I like the Roadmaster and it looks like it is also easy to install.

Both use the U bolts for the leaf springs etc. need a 250 lb torque wrench which i have. Good for torquing your tire lug nuts too.

If your tire lug nuts aren't torqued do so.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Very few vehicles need a front AND a rear track bar, so you are wise to wait on that.

I put a Saf-T-Plus on a 96 Southwind 36 footer and did not see much improvement at all in handling. The wheel stayed centered, the power steering pump groaned when I did turn the wheel but the coach still needed lots of correction when driving down the road. Then I added the Davis TruTrak and it made a huge difference - a pleasure to drive. Never felt the need for anything more.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote