Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Nomad Mike's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Nomadic - Currently Near Lassen NF
Posts: 674
Safety Ax, FUBAR or Similar for Self Rescue?

Do you keep within easy reach a self rescue device capable of getting you out in case of entrapment in a fire, rollover accident, etc? If your MH is rolled over onto the side, the best exit may be the windshield. How would you get out?

Trucker's Friend is one thing I'm looking at along with a belt cutter attached to my seat or near enough to access. But with a FUBAR or ax, I'm wondering what LE would say if they pulled me over - or crossing the Canadian border.
__________________

__________________
Luna was born in 2005 and is a Winnebago Journey 34H w/ CAT C7 350
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rgvtexan's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NE WA or S TX
Posts: 2,244
A claw hammer will take out a windshield. Less than $5 at Harbor Freight and legal in all 50 state and Canada. I also have a 10 pound fire extinguisher, it makes a great battle ram!
__________________

__________________
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brakemaster, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
Do you keep within easy reach a self rescue device capable of getting you out in case of entrapment in a fire, rollover accident, etc? If your MH is rolled over onto the side, the best exit may be the windshield. How would you get out?

Trucker's Friend is one thing I'm looking at along with a belt cutter attached to my seat or near enough to access. But with a FUBAR or ax, I'm wondering what LE would say if they pulled me over - or crossing the Canadian border.
Nomad,
Well Sir, in reality, the windshield area and windshield itself is close the weakest part of the entire structure of the coach in the first place. Meaning, if yours or, just about anyone's coach on here were to "roll over" onto its side, either side, the torsional stress of the body, inertia, impact, and other forces involved, would just about guaranty that the windshield will almost fall out.

That would mean that even if it didn't fall out, a slight kick would more than likely dislodge it from any bind that would be left holding it in place. Heck, I'm sure you've read on here in many cases where someone either crossed an entrance into a gas station, over-leveled at a camp spot, or other tweaked the body in one way or another and, all of a sudden, the windshield is popped out in either one or two corners.

All it would take in most cases is a small push to get it to completely dislodge the rest of the way. Now, if it's glued in, that's a bit of a different story. The glue (butyl) in most cases will give way but, not without some fairly stout effort. And, since windshields are made to different standards than side glass, you may be able to break it but, it will still hang together, unlike side glass which, shatters into a few zillion pieces.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Dupdyke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Roseville MN sum / La Feria Tx winter
Posts: 716
As scott the other retired old firefighter said Front is not going to be the issue. A claw hammer that is accessible applied to the corner of the side windows will make a quick way out. Scott and I know that if we put a air pack on our back against a house window we now have a quick way out of a flashover even it it is falling out backwards. Been there done that....

I would have more worries about the door is in the front I am in back in bed and how long does that red escape window handle take me to get out of the bedroom. Yep I do have a 10 lb next to the bad and I do turn it over and tap with a rubber mallet ever three months.

If you are going to madison sign up for Mac the fireguys session you will learn a lot.
__________________
Sheri & Don 2003 Dynasty 42" regal ISL 400
2007 Goldwing Trike Gmc 4X4 w/ autoloader for trike
Lets go we got it all loaded.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:13 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Nomad Mike's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Nomadic - Currently Near Lassen NF
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Nomad,
Well Sir, in reality, the windshield area and windshield itself is close the weakest part of the entire structure of the coach in the first place. Meaning, if yours or, just about anyone's coach on here were to "roll over" onto its side, either side, the torsional stress of the body, inertia, impact, and other forces involved, would just about guaranty that the windshield will almost fall out.

That would mean that even if it didn't fall out, a slight kick would more than likely dislodge it from any bind that would be left holding it in place. Heck, I'm sure you've read on here in many cases where someone either crossed an entrance into a gas station, over-leveled at a camp spot, or other tweaked the body in one way or another and, all of a sudden, the windshield is popped out in either one or two corners.

All it would take in most cases is a small push to get it to completely dislodge the rest of the way. Now, if it's glued in, that's a bit of a different story. The glue (butyl) in most cases will give way but, not without some fairly stout effort. And, since windshields are made to different standards than side glass, you may be able to break it but, it will still hang together, unlike side glass which, shatters into a few zillion pieces.
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
As scott the other retired old firefighter said Front is not going to be the issue. A claw hammer that is accessible applied to the corner of the side windows will make a quick way out. Scott and I know that if we put a air pack on our back against a house window we now have a quick way out of a flashover even it it is falling out backwards. Been there done that....

I would have more worries about the door is in the front I am in back in bed and how long does that red escape window handle take me to get out of the bedroom. Yep I do have a 10 lb next to the bad and I do turn it over and tap with a rubber mallet ever three months.

If you are going to madison sign up for Mac the fireguys session you will learn a lot.
In 20 years as an EMT I saw first hand lots situations where one would think the windshield would have popped out, but did not. I'm pretty sure Winnebago's are glued in? I know I could get out with most any tool if I am not injured, but if I am, something that pry's may be beneficial if I don't have the strength to ram or kick. I doubt LE will see a claw hammer hanging on my dash or hidden next to my seat as a tool. If the windshield would just shatter out with a window punch, that would be a good option.

A fire extinguisher next to my seat might be the best idea since on a roll to the left I doubt I can reach the one on the passenger side - especially if injured. I would also like the option of a pry tool, but that might get me into trouble at some point.

The bottom line is that while I will probably never be in this situation, but would rather be prepared for all the possibilities.
__________________
Luna was born in 2005 and is a Winnebago Journey 34H w/ CAT C7 350
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
In 20 years as an EMT I saw first hand lots situations where one would think the windshield would have popped out, but did not. I'm pretty sure Winnebago's are glued in? I know I could get out with most any tool if I am not injured, but if I am, something that pry's may be beneficial if I don't have the strength to ram or kick. I doubt LE will see a claw hammer hanging on my dash or hidden next to my seat as a tool. If the windshield would just shatter out with a window punch, that would be a good option.

A fire extinguisher next to my seat might be the best idea since on a roll to the left I doubt I can reach the one on the passenger side - especially if injured. I would also like the option of a pry tool, but that might get me into trouble at some point.

The bottom line is that while I will probably never be in this situation, but would rather be prepared for all the possibilities.
Well Partner,
First off, I think you're overthinking the "What if" situation. Is it POSSIBLE that you may, at sometime in your RVing life, end up in a roll-onto-side scenario, well, not a clue but, I'd bet the odds are close to the same as winning the lotto. And second, I'm pretty sure your statement was suggestion that, the shattering of a windshield with a window punch was just that, a suggestion since, as you're well aware of, they don't shatter. Otherwise, there would be about ten zillion more windshields replaced annually due to rocks (acting like window punches) shattering all of them across the nation.

And third, most of the smaller fire extinguishers have plastic heads on them. If you were to use the bottom as a battering ram and, it didn't break the glass, (which is a distinct possibility) there's a good chance you could damage the control head (if you had your hand on it) which, could lead to the discharge of the fire fighting chemicals inside the extinguisher,

Now, all this is just anticipating worst case scenario. I certainly don't blame you for thinking about rescuing yourself in a bad situation, good plan. You could simply mount, semi-inconspicuously, a window punch at each large window, on each side of the coach, (don't know your coach and window arrangement). That way, you'd have something that would be guarantied to work, no matter what side you ended up on. Just a thought.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Nomad Mike's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Nomadic - Currently Near Lassen NF
Posts: 674
The extinguisher I've purchased are #10 and metal. I don't see any plastic except the gauge.

The punch was just that, a wishful thought as a small tool would be less conspicuous.

A couple of my windows are red handled pop outs, but my concern would be that at 8 feet interior width, climbing that height to a window may be difficult to impossible. I will probably keep a belt cutter and punch at the drivers chair but not elsewhere.

Yes I'm over thinking it, but I would rather do that than under-think it. Every day I see people who don't think about "what if", and I used to see them everyday in their worst moment because they never thought about "what if".
__________________
Luna was born in 2005 and is a Winnebago Journey 34H w/ CAT C7 350
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
Do you keep within easy reach a self rescue device capable of getting you out in case of entrapment in a fire, rollover accident, etc? If your MH is rolled over onto the side, the best exit may be the windshield. How would you get out?

Trucker's Friend is one thing I'm looking at along with a belt cutter attached to my seat or near enough to access. But with a FUBAR or ax, I'm wondering what LE would say if they pulled me over - or crossing the Canadian border.
This would do the job just as well, and is a lot less money: Amazon.com : 3-in-1 Universal Emergency Survival Hatchet Hammer Pry Bar Utility Tool : Camping Axes : Sports & Outdoors
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 131
A couple of thoughts......
Windshields are not the "shatter-type" tempered-glass that they have on side windows. Windshields are a laminated glass that has a plastic layer in it. The do not shatter when hit with an impact device.
With regards to keeping something, anything, handy to use as an escape tool, I might recommend that it be very securely mounted. That way, when you do roll over, you will find it where it belongs. Speaking from experience, when you place a vehicle on it's side, everything will be in a pile somewhere where you won't be able to find it.

Good luck
Bill
__________________
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,832
Windshields are designed to withstand great pressure from OUTSIDE the vehicle.. But relatively little pressure from INSIDE the vehicle.

I have.. leg pressed more than I care to admit to when the need was great enough but what it woudl take to push a windshield out is less than what it takes to get up out of a chair for many folks.
__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Windshields are designed to withstand great pressure from OUTSIDE the vehicle.. But relatively little pressure from INSIDE the vehicle.

I have.. leg pressed more than I care to admit to when the need was great enough but what it woudl take to push a windshield out is less than what it takes to get up out of a chair for many folks.
Some of what you say I agree with but, I too have "leg pressed" windshields out in rescue accidents and, the ones held in by a pinch weld, are fairly easy to push out but, the ones that are glued in, well, suffice to say it took a considerable amount more effort. That butyl glue is some seriously strong stuff. Now, if the perimeter has been distorted due to the accident, it makes things a bit easier due to the glass cannot "bend" with the distortion of the windshield frame.
Scott
__________________

__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
safety



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing fogged windows with single pane auto safety glass chili's trip Class A Motorhome Discussions 24 11-06-2014 12:05 PM
Power Gear Leveling Neutral Safety Switch Problem jpbill National RV Owner's Forum 5 07-21-2014 06:07 PM
Safety First! What advice do you have? Nuclear iRV2.com General Discussion 33 05-25-2014 09:52 AM
Cool Safety Brake cable fixes my issue tuffr2 5th Wheel Discussion 3 09-25-2013 12:48 PM
Fuel blow back on 98 Amer Tradition diesel / similar Fleetwood mvz944t Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 2 07-21-2013 02:04 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.