Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #15

I don't believe that Salt Lake city crash was a blowout. The slide show depicts the vehicle traveled several hundred feet in what appears to be desert with no apparent input from the driver. Heart attack or seizure I'll bet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Neither the gas engine or diesel pusher class A's have any safety cage or anything like that. The best thing to do is to drive in a safe and sane manner and try your best to avoid having an accident.

Ken
+1

Unfortunately, there is very little protection anywhere in gassers or DPs. No cage (I know for a fact that our 03 Phaeton on Freightliner chassis has plastic and fiberglass for A pillars), no crumple zone, etc. And that doesn't even mention all the objects that could be flying inside (e.g. under the strong impact of a collision or rollover, chances are cabinets will come off the wall, the 75lbs CRT TV will probably come loose, the dinette table will probably come loose, etc)

A front end collision at any sort of speed (e.g. 10mph) will destroy the front cap. Impact on the A pillar going forward will likely tear away the whole side wall (there was a class A fatality last year like that where the driver clipped a barrier or something on the highway - the whole side (including the seat belt anchor) peeled off like a sardine can and he was ejected and killed - the rest of the mh looked pristine. In a rollover the whole 'house' will be flattened like a pancake.

Luckily mhs do have weight going for them. In an impact with another object that can be moved, the mh will probably simply push it out of the way but impact with something that can't move ... People always say how small cars must be terrible in an accident but if you are going to hit a cement divider on the highway or in a rollover, you're much better off in any sub-compact than you would be in any mh.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrua72 View Post

Good video. I never realized that a motor home could be controlled with a steer tire blow out. I have only had tires blow on my semi in the bush on dirt roads and the foot to throttle approach is not practical, as soon as it blows your getting sucked over there is no getting control and pulling over when it's safe to do so. I did have a steer tire blow on a 3 ton cab over on the highway fully loaded and it did not react like was shown on the video. I could not stop it from sucking me over, I never hit the brakes right away cause I was not loosing control but it became quite evident very quickly that it was going where it wanted to and all I could do was slow it down from going in the direction it wanted to.
Made my day reading se posts and watching the video. I did not realize the accelerator was the key. So thankful for these forums. I'm tempted to install the steering stabilizer on new Entegra when it comes. What about the front end on diesel pusher. They have souped up rear ends what about the front?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Neither the gas engine or diesel pusher class A's have any safety cage or anything like that. The best thing to do is to drive in a safe and sane manner and try your best to avoid having an accident.

Ken
I thought I watched a video on construction of Entegra MH showing steel roll bar around driver and front end.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Makes me glad to be driving a C at least it has to meet some crash standards for the cab. I have had front blow out in A cab over SCARY it was drivers side and PULLED me half way into the other lane before I got control. My heart still beats fast just thinking about it. The steel cords were smacking into the end of a 27 year old propane tank which was 80% filled at the time in TX heat.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquest102 View Post
Makes me glad to be driving a C at least it has to meet some crash standards for the cab. I have had front blow out in A cab over SCARY it was drivers side and PULLED me half way into the other lane before I got control. My heart still beats fast just thinking about it. The steel cords were smacking into the end of a 27 year old propane tank which was 80% filled at the time in TX heat.
That's actually a pretty good argument, for any doubters, here are a few pics of crashed and / or burned mhs: (some of them are just burns but if it can melt, it won't protect you in an accident (obviously at a certain temperature anything will melt but supporting structure won't melt any faster than the frame))

http://www.copart.com/c2/onSaleResul...SEARCH_RESULTS

There is one Class C and it did hold up much better than the Class As - although there's nothing to prevent stuff from inside the 'house' portion to fly into the cab portion but the cab structure itself is much better (although, in a severe accident, it might not do that much, I think truck safety regulations are much less stringent than passenger cars)

Tags
safety