Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #1

Safety of Front Engined MH vs Rear Engined

I often wondered if having an engine up front vs rear in a head on collision might be a plus. I was just looking at some of those pictures in the horrific MH crash in Utah. Any thoughts on this?

Two dead in RV crash on southern Utah

Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #2

My DSDP has a diesel gen set right where the 454 was in my old Southwind. I don't think either one gives me a great sense of security in a head on, but I do feel the DP handling is better than the Southwind & might give me a better chance of escaping.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #3

Can't imagine how it would help. In a front engine class A the mass of the engine is below and between the front seats. In a rear engine configuration the generator is in the same position.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Amazing pictures

[QUOTE

Two dead in RV crash on southern Utah[/QUOTE]

Article says accident may have been due to a front tire blow out. Questions for anyone who has experienced a front blow out:
  • Looking at the photo showing the MH path from interstate to collision - is this typical?
  • Why would she have not tried to slow? Force of collision makes me believe there was no braking.
  • Heart attack ?????
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #5

As we used to say in the old days "When your driving a cabover tractor, if you have a head on, your the first one there".

I can't see where in a moto rhome configuration, you would fair better with a motor between the seats.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
Why would she have not tried to slow? Force of collision makes me believe there was no braking.
If you take an RV driving class you are taught to give the vehicle fuel after the blow-out to stabilize it, then let it slow "gently."

If the driver slammed on the brakes the vehicle might have skidded out of control. Is that what the accident path looked like?
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Perhaps traveling at an unsafe speed and probably overloaded ? .. with 10 people on board, cargo plus towing a good sized Jeep ?? From the pictures it looks like a 90's Country Coach Magna 40' DP..... A horrible situation ...prayers to the families.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post

If you take an RV driving class you are taught to give the vehicle fuel after the blow-out to stabilize it, then let it slow "gently."

If the driver slammed on the brakes the vehicle might have skidded out of control. Is that what the accident path looked like?
This works for a rear blow out, not for a steering tire blowout. I have had steering tires blow on a few trucks I was driving and trust me when I say it's a god awfull feeling, it will suck you to whatever side the tire blew on and you can't fight it. Get on the brakes and try your best to slow it down before it sucks you into the ditch or into on coming traffic. Cranking the wheel will only slow it down from sucking you over but won't prevent it. I think what probably happened is the tire blew and before she knew it she was in the ditch getting bounced around and could no longer control the vehicle. I always hated coming onto traffic accidents while driving and always will.... Have seen many over the last 2 million or so miles and it never gets easier seeing them.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrua72 View Post
This works for a rear blow out, not for a steering tire blowout. I have had steering tires blow on a few trucks I was driving and trust me when I say it's a god awfull feeling, it will suck you to whatever side the tire blew on and you can't fight it. Get on the brakes and try your best to slow it down before it sucks you into the ditch or into on coming traffic. Cranking the wheel will only slow it down from sucking you over but won't prevent it. I think what probably happened is the tire blew and before she knew it she was in the ditch getting bounced around and could no longer control the vehicle. I always hated coming onto traffic accidents while driving and always will.... Have seen many over the last 2 million or so miles and it never gets easier seeing them.
imho docj is right.
for most people in a blowout situation, the natural thing to do is to hit the brakes.
it would be difficult to train people to do otherwise. in my 1960 drivers ed classes, thank goodness i was trained not to hit the brakes initially. so, i got a head start.
per michelin, the correct thing to do is accelerate to get the vehicle under control, then slow down gradually.
check this video out.
maybe this post will save a life.

Michelin North America RV Videos and Demos Page
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post

imho docj is right.
for most people in a blowout situation, the natural thing to do is to hit the brakes.
it would be difficult to train people to do otherwise. in my 1960 drivers ed classes, thank goodness i was trained not to hit the brakes initially. so, i got a head start.
per michelin, the correct thing to do is accelerate to get the vehicle under control, then slow down gradually.
check this video out.
maybe this post will save a life.

Michelin North America RV Videos and Demos Page
Good video. I never realized that a motor home could be controlled with a steer tire blow out. I have only had tires blow on my semi in the bush on dirt roads and the foot to throttle approach is not practical, as soon as it blows your getting sucked over there is no getting control and pulling over when it's safe to do so. I did have a steer tire blow on a 3 ton cab over on the highway fully loaded and it did not react like was shown on the video. I could not stop it from sucking me over, I never hit the brakes right away cause I was not loosing control but it became quite evident very quickly that it was going where it wanted to and all I could do was slow it down from going in the direction it wanted to.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Front flat, press throttle until under control, THEN slow to stop.

How to Handle a Tire Blowout in Your RV - YouTube

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Neither the gas engine or diesel pusher class A's have any safety cage or anything like that. The best thing to do is to drive in a safe and sane manner and try your best to avoid having an accident.

Ken
Old 05-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
I often wondered if having an engine up front vs rear in a head on collision might be a plus. I was just looking at some of those pictures in the horrific MH crash in Utah. Any thoughts on this
It probable depends if the head on is with a Smart Car or a Kenworth pulling a fully loaded trailer.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #14

Take a look at the frame of a DP. They are pretty beefy and then add the generator. There is a lot more beef in the front than you think. Plus you also have a steel frame around the windows, where some of the gassers have virtually no steel frame for the windshield.

I also believe that insurance rates are a very good indication of accident severity and frequency. Our MHs over the years have been cheaper than all of our cars....oh, except for maybe a sportscar.

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety