Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question Sales Tax & License Plate Question -Private Seller in Florida

Hello all,
After a lengthy and exhaustive search - we believe we are in the last bits of a negotiation to purchase a used motorhome from a private seller in Florida. The coach is registered in Florida, titled in Florida, with a lien holder (Bank) in West Virginia.
So at the end of the deal, I anticipate receiving a transferable Florida title from the lienholder/seller.

Questions:
  1. Does Florida require the collection of sales tax on a private sale?
  2. If so, what if it is delivered out of state?
  3. What are my options for a temporary license plate? In any.
  4. If we register it to another state or an LLC, what do we use for plates in the interim?
I'm sure we are not the first to make such a transaction - just not certain how to navigate it all.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BrewE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #2

I believe Florida does not require private sellers to collect sales tax. You will have to pay sales tax in what ever state you register the RV. To make things simple you should probably register in the state what're you claim residency (domicile).
As for temp plates I have no idea. You might call the Florida BMV or you hme state BMV to see if they will issue one.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #3

Sales Tax & License Plate Question -Private Seller in Florida

The sale and transfer should be without tax due to Florida. When you apply for plates/tags, the state you apply in will want their respectable taxes. I bought my son a new car from a dealer in Florida, paid Washington sales tax and registration. He just got transferred to Charleston SC, has to pay a personal property tax every year. This year, it was $985. Glad I live in Florida.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:05 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If the vehicle has been registered in another state for over 6 months since it was purchased, then Florida will not charge sales tax. If however it was registered for less than 6 months in another state (for example just getting delivery in another state) then Florida will charge the difference between what you paid and the 6% Florida would charge. If you paid 6% or more in the other state them Florida will not charge any additional sales tax.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:21 AM   #5

Check with your DMV. In Virginia you can go on DMV website and purchase temp.transit tag for a few bucks. All you need is your drivers license number, VIN and transit date. I have bought a car out of state and used this to drive home.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:27 AM   #6
Community Administrator

I sold my Fl titled MH to an Ohio resident. He paid Fl. sales tax. ( same as he would have paid in Ohio ) . Fl gave him the title but would not issue temp tags without proof of an insurance card issued by a company licensed to do business in Fl.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:51 AM   #7

If you go to a Florida "Tax Office" and ask them for a temporary plate, my bet is they'll want to collect the sales tax. They'll then forward the paperwork to the DMV in your home state, who will issue you a plate and mail it to you.

This all sounds great, but the problem is if there is a snag anywhere, that temporary plate may not last long enough to get it all sorted out.

I would make sure of your insurance coverage, and drive it home on the bill of sale. If anyone stops you, a bill of sale dated with that day's date (or maybe yesterday's?), should grant you safe passage.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
If you go to a Florida "Tax Office" and ask them for a temporary plate, my bet is they'll want to collect the sales tax.

That wasn't my experience at all.

I produced my drivers license to show where it would be registered (our version of 'titled') and they said 'no problem'. I paid them a few dollars to transfer the title into my name (tax free) and issue me a 30 day temporary Florida tag. I was in & out in 5 minutes.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:09 AM   #9

From the FL DMV website:

What is the purpose for issuance of temporary license plates?
Florida law provides for a variety of legal uses of temporary license plates. The most common is by motor vehicle dealers to allow customers who don't have a license plate to transfer to be able to drive their newly purchased vehicle off the lot. The license plates are valid for 30 days, which gives dealers ample time to apply for titles and registrations for their customers.
If you are not a dealer, but you have acquired another vehicle and transferred your license plate from your old vehicle to the new vehicle, a temporary license plate may be obtained from the tax collector's office so you may demonstrate your old vehicle while it is for sale.
Non-residents also are eligible to secure a temporary license plate for "in-transit" purposes if they purchase a vehicle in Florida and want to drive it back home. However, proof of insurance (from Florida or home state) and sales tax in the amount required by the home state must be paid. If you feel you may be eligible for a temporary license plate, inquire through your local tax collector's office or the regional DMV office that serves your area.

and regarding taxes:

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/current/gt800033.pdf
Old 08-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #10

After purchasing a used unit in Florida last year with intention of registering it in Calif, here's my experience. The license plates stay with the owner, not with the vehicle. If you want temporary registration from Florida you need to pay them the sales tax. When you register it in your home state it is applied to the tax there. If you choose not to involve Florida with keeping your money and hoping the two states work it out when you do register it, just drive it home without plates as I did. I felt if I got stopped for no plates, chances are the paperwork documenting the sale would suffice, as long as you didn't stretch it out too long. I didn't have a problem. If I did get a citation for no plates, no big deal. I obtained insurance before I left and my insurance company never asked if it was registered, why would they care?
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where do you live?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:53 AM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
That wasn't my experience at all.

I produced my drivers license to show where it would be registered (our version of 'titled') and they said 'no problem'. I paid them a few dollars to transfer the title into my name (tax free) and issue me a 30 day temporary Florida tag. I was in & out in 5 minutes.
Where you leaving the country? That might explain why they didn't attempt to collect sales tax...

Old 08-21-2014, 05:55 AM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Where do you live?
Currently in Pennsylvania - we anticipate changing our state of domicile within a year.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
From the FL DMV website:

What is the purpose for issuance of temporary license plates?
Florida law provides for a variety of legal uses of temporary license plates. The most common is by motor vehicle dealers to allow customers who don't have a license plate to transfer to be able to drive their newly purchased vehicle off the lot. The license plates are valid for 30 days, which gives dealers ample time to apply for titles and registrations for their customers.
If you are not a dealer, but you have acquired another vehicle and transferred your license plate from your old vehicle to the new vehicle, a temporary license plate may be obtained from the tax collector's office so you may demonstrate your old vehicle while it is for sale.
Non-residents also are eligible to secure a temporary license plate for "in-transit" purposes if they purchase a vehicle in Florida and want to drive it back home. However, proof of insurance (from Florida or home state) and sales tax in the amount required by the home state must be paid. If you feel you may be eligible for a temporary license plate, inquire through your local tax collector's office or the regional DMV office that serves your area.

and regarding taxes:

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/current/gt800033.pdf

^^ What he said.

My nephew did this last year with a Pop-Up. Bought in FL, towed to Ohio for reg/title. He paid the estimated tax for OH at the FL DMV. Paid for a temp tag - $14, and drove it back. On the OH side he paid another $6 in tax due to county he lived in, and paid their title fees.

Be sure to use the Florida Bill of Sale form HSMV 82050.
NewB2RV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, sale