Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Which Sam's Club?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Which Sam's Club?

According to the OP's profile Clark's Summit PA., he said he was on the way out of town.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
If signs were not posted, I would of told him to piss off and then do my shopping.
Sams Club also recently raised their annual membership dues another $5. Walmart looking better,

X2

If not posted, then I would have said I'm here, I'm shopping, tell your Mgr. to look me up in the store.

Unless it was a small access lot I would guess someone may have been confused about daytime/nighttime.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
How about providing the location of that store so we can avoid it and that hassle? A similar thing happened to us at the Walmart in Barstow. During business hours and my wife was inside shopping. I don't stop there for anything.
Store is in Scranton PA Off of Exit 190 on I-81.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #19

Well Sir,
Let's just take a look at it from both sides. One, you're an RVer, parked in one of a large chain of super stores, i.e. Sams Club. Now, most of the time, the parking lots of such large stores are rather large and, for the most part, one RV, even towing something will not take up much customer parking so, it wasn't like you were taking up a lot of valuable customer parking and, at Christmas shopping time.

But, who knows why this particular employee decided or, was told by a superior, to make sure no RVs park in the parking lot. Maybe this person was having a bad day, maybe he/she just lost their RV to repossession, maybe their hours were cut due to cost cutting measures and he/she saw that you were in a better financial predicament, who knows.

It really isn't your job to analyze what and why things happened the way they did, all you did was park your rig and wanted to do some early shopping. Not many folks bring in a RV just to shop at Sams Club so, I'm fairly certain, your situation was/is somewhat rare. Now, I'm talking about an early morning situation. Walmart frequently has folks pulling in, in the evening for overnight rest stays.

But, looking at it from the stores point of view. You know how the brain works in many people. If one other person saw your RV in the Sams Club parking lot, then, guess what, that means to some, "hey, he's parking in Sams Club with his RV, so why can't we"??? And, they'll tell their friends, and those people will tell their friends etc. and pretty soon, there'll be tons of RVs in Sams Club parking lots all over the place.

Now, I'm not saying you did anything wrong, or, that that particular employee was out of place in telling you to leave, he/she may have just been following orders. What would I have done? Well, I might have just informed the employee that, " I'm on my way out of town and, I needed something that only Sams Club had and I won't be long." Now, as you said, that person was still advising you to leave, I'd maybe inform them that I'm headed for the managers office to ask for permission to park while I pickup what their store had for me.

Now, I doubt that, that employee would pursue it to the point of physical confrontation, not unless they had a mental problem. So, they might just cruise on into the managers office which, I'd have already beat them to there.

We ( a rather large group of travelers, about 12 rigs, all towing jeeps on the way to Moab UT ) have parked in the Mesquite NV Walmart super store several times over the past years. And, there's signs that say NO RV/Truck parking. As soon as we arrive, which is usually late in the evening, I run in and talk directly with the manager or, assistant manager and politely ask if we can park, OUT OF THE WAY, for only the night and, will be gone early in the morning.

I also tell them before they can even answer me, that we will be happy to move on, because we don't want to cause any problems or hassels with Walmart or, employees etc. The answer is ALWAYS, "yeah sure, no problem, we welcome you and your group". And of course, after we're all settled in, we all cruise on into the store and buy a bunch of stuff that we don't need.

So, who knows why things happened the way they did. If Sams Club has afforded you good savings on items you've purchased there and, warranted the cost of the membership for the time you've had it, then this one incident may have to be further looked at before dumping your membership. At least that's what I'm thinking. It's your choice. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow5656 View Post
Would LOVE to go to Costco... NONE here in NE PA
You can still join and buy on line from home.

I just checked a item to compare prices.
I picked a Equator 1.0CuFt Ice Maker that would work in a RV
Costo $349.99 with free shipping.
Sears $449.99 with $49.99 shipping.

Membership paid for 2 years with savings on that one item.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your experience with your Sams club. We do a lot of our shopping at our local Sams club and find their customer service very good. I bought a battery for one of the smaller ATV's that had a 6 month full replacement warranty. It went bad with one week left on the warranty. The clerk, instead of replacing the battery refunded the full amount and then sold me a new battery and explained that she did it that way so I would have a new full 6 month warranty. So for now I am going to consider your experience something that happened because of your local manager. But I will keep it in mind when I deal with Sams in the future.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
How about providing the location of that store so we can avoid it and that hassle? .
Avoid the hassle? Hell, I would make a special stop there just to piss them off and make a scene in front of the members.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #23

We prefer Costco, just stocked the coach today for our trip south. They had a great price on a Little Giant Ladder so maybe now I will polish the coach a bit more this year.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #24

Carolina Campers
I am not necessarily proud of this, but with what I spend each year at Costco my Costco Executive membership pays for itself very well.

The membership may cost $200/yr but it pays 2% cash back on my purchases.

That membership rebate pay over $200 each year by itself.

Then my Costco/AmExp card gets 3% cash back on gas (regardless here I purchase it on the card), 2% on the travel/eating out purchases, and 1% on everything else.

That pays ~$500/yr. with no interest since I pay the balance each month.

I sure like getting paid to use the membership/card each year, but I hate the fact that it means I sure buy a lot of stuff....
Old 10-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
How about providing the location of that store so we can avoid it and that hassle? A similar thing happened to us at the Walmart in Barstow. During business hours and my wife was inside shopping. I don't stop there for anything.
Wal*Mart corporate policy is to allow RV parking/overnighting. HOWEVER, many cities have passed ordinances against it, which is what you probably ran into.
When we used to head to Quartzsite we would always stop at one Wal*Mart and stock up plus eat dinner at the restaurants withing walking distance. One year we found the lot signed with no overnight parking signs. Turns out the city had a new ordinance. The manager said to go ahead and park, as long as we were gone by 8:00 am there wouldn't be a problem. The McD's inside even gave out free coffee to those of us in the lot.
Now we bypass that city completely and stop at another about 20 miles further south. No problems there last year.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #26

Some irony there. Being told go to a store that you can't park at to cancel your membership because you can't park there.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have over nighted at many Sams and much prefer them since they close at 8 and there after it is quite. Unlike so many I do not believe every thing I read. There is more to the OPs story. If it was a store policy they would have had signs and/or low height barriers which I have seen at only one Walmart. At any rate they would not have had a clerk enforcing the not parking rule. I think the OP has a bone to pick.

PS, I am not a member of either Sams or Costco. We do not eat nearly enough to make a membership pay for itself. But obviously they is a market for what they have to offer.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Barge View Post
Some irony there. Being told go to a store that you can't park at to cancel your membership because you can't park there.
I would drive my RV and park it while I canceled.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote