Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
If it was a store policy they would have had signs and/or low height barriers which I have seen at only one Walmart. At any rate they would not have had a clerk enforcing the not parking rule.
The Wal*Marts put signs up if it's a ordinance as I posted earlier. And a clerk could certainly know the ordinances that the store has to abide by and forewarn people. Some Wal*Marts do not allow parking since their lots are small or they want you to park in designated areas. We've seen both instances.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Bunch of petty people here, going to cancel their memberships because of what someone said. Then again we are only getting one side of the story.

Heck, I pulled into the Costco in Kirkland,WA and was told by the store manager that I couldn't spend the night in the parking lot because each spot was worth $10,000 a day to the store. I told him I was parked in the north 40 and there wasn't a car within 100 yards, still no deal.

We have been members of Costco since the opening day of the store in Irvine,CA. I'm not going to give up my membership just over one occurrence.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Wal*Mart corporate policy is to allow RV parking/overnighting. HOWEVER, many cities have passed ordinances against it, which is what you probably ran into.
When we used to head to Quartzsite we would always stop at one Wal*Mart and stock up plus eat dinner at the restaurants withing walking distance. One year we found the lot signed with no overnight parking signs. Turns out the city had a new ordinance. The manager said to go ahead and park, as long as we were gone by 8:00 am there wouldn't be a problem. The McD's inside even gave out free coffee to those of us in the lot.
Now we bypass that city completely and stop at another about 20 miles further south. No problems there last year.
Mr. D
RE post 25 - I don't think we ran into a no overnight policy at Barstow (no signs that I saw). We left Bakersfield at about 9 AM so would have been in Barstow before noon to pick up some groceries. I'd think a misunderstanding or an uninformed security person - or perhaps I missed something.

Another side of Walmart is we pulled into a Walmart in El Paso, TX and before we could get out of the RV a security guard pulled up in a golf car - asked how long we'd want to be there - end result was if we wanted to over night it's be much safer to go to a different part of the parking lot. I don't have a problem with Walmart in general but do have a problem with the one in Barstow. Maybe that has been corrected but I'll not stop/shop at that one.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #32

I asked at my local Walmart if RV parking was allowed. CS clerk said: "It depends on which guard is on duty."
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
I have over nighted at many Sams and much prefer them since they close at 8 and there after it is quite. Unlike so many I do not believe every thing I read. There is more to the OPs story. If it was a store policy they would have had signs and/or low height barriers which I have seen at only one Walmart. At any rate they would not have had a clerk enforcing the not parking rule. I think the OP has a bone to pick.

PS, I am not a member of either Sams or Costco. We do not eat nearly enough to make a membership pay for itself. But obviously they is a market for what they have to offer.
NO BONE TO PICK!! I live 5 miles from the store!!! So you think a manager would walk out to the parking lot to tell people to leave??
Old 10-11-2013, 05:18 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never had this problem at our Sam's Club. I fuel up there as it's usually .15 cents cheaper per gallon then any stations around. Also have parked in the lot and done our shopping. Actually have visited quite a few and had not had any problems. I surely would have asked to see the manager and discuss it with him. A Costco would be nice in our area. They do have a nice store but it's at least a 15 to 20 mile trip to the closest one around us.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #35

Maybe the employee or his/her friend had a campground close by.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
I'm also from NE PA, Wilkes-Barre is our store, but we also have shopped at that Sam's. Their parking lot is large enough for us to stop and shop. Yes we don't know both sides, but I know trucking companies near this area and they are good people. Why do people always think the worst. Karen
onourway2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I would like to here Sam's Club reason for asking you to leave.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #38
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm just thinking out loud. IF there were a city/county ordinance why would the employee tell a person to move? It would be up to the local authorities. What, would the store get fined for someone violating the ordinance? I don't think so.

If there was a store policy because of "whatever" reason, it would not be in an employee or manager's job description to make you leave once you have been told. If I were the manager I would call the local authorities and let them take care of it. I would wager that "anyone" approached by law enforcement and asked/told to leave would pack up and get. To not do so could result in towing and impounding of the RV.

My conclusion of my thinking. Do what is right and within the letter of the law, including moving when asked to do so. Why spoil the RV community image. Whether or not you choose to be a member of a chain store, or shop at such stores, is your privilege.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #39

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow5656 View Post
Well, I can't wait to get time to go in and cancel my membership and get my money back. I'm SURE they will ask me WHY!!!
Give them your reason in writing, just as you did here. No rants. Make sure a copy goes to manager and corporate.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #40

I have had some complaints with Sam's Club and Walmart. Every time I have sent a email to corporate I have gotten a response from a store manager in less than a day. Then a follow up contact from corporate to make sure problem was taken care of.
I would send another email to corporate. Your description sounds like an employee decided to correct a problem that did not exist.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Give them your reason in writing, just as you did here. No rants. Make sure a copy goes to manager and corporate.
Already sent corporate a E-Mail They told me I can go to the store to get my membership refunded or write back to them and in 6 to 8 weeks they would cut me a check and mail it to me. So with that reply I took it they concurred with there manager and did not care to address the issue.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #42

Ditto on the ordinance issue. Our closest town has such an ordnance for the Walmart/SAMs Club lot. Bullet holes are expensive to fix on an RV so hence the ordinance. That is a combat zone. (Columbia, MO)

vraines is offline   Reply With Quote