Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2016, 05:43 PM   #15
Community Moderator

i have been surfing this board for years, have not heard any complaints about samson.
80 psi appears way too low to my ears. my coach is heavier i assume; i maintain 120psi front and 115psi at rear. just in case you don't know, the psi on the tire wall means "minimum pressure required to carry the max weight".

double coin is another good tire; no worry as only as you maintain the right pressure.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #16

While I'm not familiar with the 1321 SeaBreeze, I do know that the placard in my 1320 calls for 65 PSI in 225/70 R19.5 tires. My maximum axle weights (5500 F, 11,000 R ) are actually below the lowest weight on the tire inflation charts for that size tire. I run mine at 70 PSI with a TPMS just for a little comfort.

I've been running Samson GL283A tires on the rear for just over 2 years. In 12,400 miles, I have nothing bad to say about them. This morning, I had 2 new ones put on the front to replace 2 Cooper Roadmasters that were wearing unevenly due to an alignment issue. Now that I have that solved, I expect the Samsons to give good service for the next 6-8 years.

It seems that Bebop41 got a coach that had not been maintained correctly, at least as far as tire pressure goes. To suggest that the splits were caused simply by their being made in China is absurd. I've searched all the RV forums as well as the OTR trucking forums looking for drivers who have actually had problems with Samson tires. Other than one gentleman on this forum last year who experienced some sidewall cracking, I'm not finding any. Please feel free to forward me any you might find.

Meanwhile, I love the fact that the only negative thing anyone can say about my tires is that I didn't pay enough for them!
Old 08-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Meanwhile, I love the fact that the only negative thing anyone can say about my tires is that I didn't pay enough for them! [/QUOTE]

Ditto..!
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:08 AM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
i have been surfing this board for years, have not heard any complaints about samson.
80 psi appears way too low to my ears. my coach is heavier i assume; i maintain 120psi front and 115psi at rear. just in case you don't know, the psi on the tire wall means "minimum pressure required to carry the max weight".

double coin is another good tire; no worry as only as you maintain the right pressure.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. The tire in NOT stamped with the minimum anything. The tire is stamped with tire's MAXIMUM inflation pressure (which would support maximum load) . My sidewall says 110 PSI, hope yours says 120 PSI. These are COLD PSI readings before running the tire.
wajell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:42 AM   #19

Hope this helps. Check out the link on post #33.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/tire...-115624-3.html
Old 08-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajell View Post
Hope this helps. Check out the link on post #33.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/tire...-115624-3.html

The specs are no problem to find The thing you can't find or is made is a tire inflation chart for them.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
The specs are no problem to find The thing you can't find or is made is a tire inflation chart for them.
I have seen over and over that there is no inflation chart for those tires. You might call the distributor listed at the end of the pdf and ask them.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #22

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I'm running Samson's on mine. You won't find a inflation chart for them. 80 psi sounds way to low to me.
When you can't find Load Inflation chart for an RV tire you can use the charts from Goodyear, Toyo, or Bridgestone/Firestone and be confident that you will be OK for your Motorhome.
Michelin is the only company I am aware of that deviates on a few tires but only by 5 psi or a few hundred pounds. This is due to using Metric design standards and converting to English (Pound, inch & psi) units.

NOTE Trailers are different and should only use the Load charts from MAXXIS or Goodyear to confirm they are not exceeding 85% of the max tire load capacity when measured on a scale and they should always use the inflation number molded on the tire sidewall as their cold inflation number.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #23

Commercial Member

Quote:
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. The tire in NOT stamped with the minimum anything. The tire is stamped with tire's MAXIMUM inflation pressure (which would support maximum load) . My sidewall says 110 PSI, hope yours says 120 PSI. These are COLD PSI readings before running the tire.

You are correct in that tires do not say "minimum" on them but they do tell you the inflation required to support a specific load. That load is the "Maximum" load it is designed to carry in normal highway application and there is an inflation needed to support that load.

If you do not run at least that level of inflation you can not support the stated load.

So while the tire does not say "Minimum inflation to carry Maximum load" you can not run anything lower than the stated inflation level if you want the tire to carry that load.

We should interpret the inflations in the Load & Inflation tables to mean the lowest number of psi (minimum?) that can support the load for that cell in the chart.

Some incorrectly think the statement on tires "Maximum inflation for maximum load" means they should never see an inflation number higher on the TPMS. This is 100% incorrect. Inflation numbers on tires and in the tables and on the vehicle placard are ALWAYS the Cold inflation and by "cold" we mean when a tire has not been driven on or in direct sunlight for the previous 2 hours or more.

You might review THIS blog post on Min vs MAx for related information.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #24

All I get out of this is that you replaced crappy Tires with crappy Tires, There is no such thing as a "good deal" you get what you pay for......
Old 08-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #25

Commercial Member

Still looking forward to measured load and placard information from OP so we can provide data based answers rather than just more guesses on why the original tires failed.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #26

Quote:
I have seen over and over that there is no inflation chart for those tires. You might call the distributor listed at the end of the pdf and ask them.
Been there done that. Ther is no inflation chart.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Still looking forward to measured load and placard information from OP so we can provide data based answers rather than just more guesses on why the original tires failed.
Nope, no need for that. We'll just pronounce them to be "crappy tires" and call it a day. After all, some of us have driven eleventy-three billion miles on every kind of tire ever made, and know that only one company on the planet is capable of producing a decent tire. Everyone else is just making junk, no matter how many happy customers they have.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
You are correct in that tires do not say "minimum" on them but they do tell you the inflation required to support a specific load. That load is the "Maximum" load it is designed to carry in normal highway application and there is an inflation needed to support that load.

If you do not run at least that level of inflation you can not support the stated load.

So while the tire does not say "Minimum inflation to carry Maximum load" you can not run anything lower than the stated inflation level if you want the tire to carry that load.

We should interpret the inflations in the Load & Inflation tables to mean the lowest number of psi (minimum?) that can support the load for that cell in the chart.

Some incorrectly think the statement on tires "Maximum inflation for maximum load" means they should never see an inflation number higher on the TPMS. This is 100% incorrect. Inflation numbers on tires and in the tables and on the vehicle placard are ALWAYS the Cold inflation and by "cold" we mean when a tire has not been driven on or in direct sunlight for the previous 2 hours or more.

You might review THIS blog post on Min vs MAx for related information.
Let's try and make this simple for me.

1) Your definition of COLD is simple enough. You should never inflate a COLD tire above the MAX PSI molded into the tire. Of course as you run the tire the psi WILL exceed the COLD MAX PSI molded into the tire.

2) Inflating a COLD tire to the MAX PSI molded into the tire will result in it being able to carry its maximum rated load. Even if your weight is less that the maximum rated load, this will not damage the tire.

Correct?

And to all the "cheap tire trolls", why don't you stuff a sock in it so the rest of us can have an intelligent discussion?

Tags
tires