Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #1

Samson truck tires

I had 6 of these tires on my newly purchased 2005 National RV 1321 Sea Breeze. A former owner purchased these tires from Poudre Valley Cooperative Association in Ft. Collins, CO on May 1, 2015, mileage was 45786.

I purchased the RV from a guy who only had it 3 months and was selling because he and wife decided hey had too many toys and probably were not going to use it as much as they originally thought.

Anyway, on my way to Olympia, WA at mileage 52,091 i noticed two flats while refueling and closer inspection revealed all four remaining tires had developed the same longitudinal 6-9 inch cracking/splits around the length of the tire as the other two. All were replaced by Les Schwab in Cotning, CA (very good) with Double Coin RT600's.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure whether you are bragging or complaining? How old were those Samsons? Were overdue for replacement anyway, or do you think the failures were premature?

Double Coin is another non-name Chinese import brand. Might have been made in the same factory as the Samsons, with just a different name on the side.

Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop41 View Post
I had 6 of these tires on my newly purchased 2005 National RV 1321 Sea Breeze. A former owner purchased these tires from Poudre Valley Cooperative Association in Ft. Collins, CO on May 1, 2015, mileage was 45786.

I purchased the RV from a guy who only had it 3 months and was selling because he and wife decided hey had too many toys and probably were not going to use it as much as they originally thought.

Anyway, on my way to Olympia, WA at mileage 52,091 i noticed two flats while refueling and closer inspection revealed all four remaining tires had developed the same longitudinal 6-9 inch cracking/splits around the length of the tire as the other two. All were replaced by Les Schwab in Cotning, CA (very good) with Double Coin RT600's.
What were the DOT code dates? We're had ours 3 years and 5,000 miles. Never a problem. Sounds like they might have been old. Even if you "buy them new", you need to check the DOT codes to find out how old they really are. OR he might have run them under-inflated. Who knows?
Old 08-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My bet is that the PO ran the motorhome with very low tire pressure. That gave him the softer ride, but made it very unstable. Therefore, he would get rid of it in short order. Just my 2 cents.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:56 PM   #5

Bebop41 - first off

Hopefully you'll come back and explain the situation from your first ever post and what pressures you were running.
BuckyBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #6

Tires pressure kept at 80 pounds each per specification. People at les Schwab tire confirmed the age of the tires.

Just reporting my experience and hope it's a one-off and nobody has the same.

All the best to all!
Old 08-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

OK, so you are saying the Samson tires are about 15 months old (roughly May 2015) and failed already. We aren't doubting you, just trying to get a clear understanding.

Samson (and Double Coin too) are considered a 4th tier tire brand, i.e. pretty much bottom of the barrel. Emphasis is on low price rather than high quality. They will have a higher percentage of early failures than better grades, but the ones that are OK and survive should be fine. Hope your new ones last longer than the previous. Good luck.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
Commercial Member

6 tires all developing circumferential cracks in sidewall at the same time is a little unlikely to be related to a tire defect as that would suggest a 100% failure mode and that would mean there should have been hundreds if not 1,000's of similar failures which based on NHTSA response didn't happen.

It is more likely that the original owner( or were their two previous owners?) operated the tires significantly underinflated so the flex cracks developed. But not enough miles to see failures.

Really would need to know the DOT serial of the tires to know where and who made the tires.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Tires pressure kept at 80 pounds each per specification. People at les Schwab tire confirmed the age of the tires.

All the best to all!

80 psi sounds low to me. We run ours at about 105 psi. I never could find a Samson chart with weight specs. 110 psi is max, so I run at 105 (cold).
Old 08-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We run the rears at 90 and fronts at 100. psi. Coach is 31,500 lbs.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
We run the rears at 90 and fronts at 100. psi. Coach is 31,500 lbs.
Hmm... It sounds more and more like underinflation might have been the problem. I sure hope he doesn't run the Double Coins underinflated also.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:23 AM   #12

Samson tires are best used on local delivery trucks where average speeds are lower than 55 mph. See a lot of them on construction equipment, they're a tough tire and their cheap hence the reason they are used on such equipment.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:

All the best to all!
Glad things are working out. We are just asking a few questions to be sure all will continue to be well.
"80 psi per spec" What spec did you use. Vehicle certification placard psi or psi on tires or psi from load tables based on the measured scale loading of your tires. If just the tires 80 psi sounds like LR-E which may be less than what your coach requires.

RE tire age. Did Schwab just tell you they were OK or did they show you the actual date. You really should know the date and have the full DOT tire serial recorded. If there ever is a recall it would be better to have the info written down than have to wonder and have to inspect the tires when weather isn't good or the Rv is in storage.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #14

I'm running Samson's on mine. You won't find a inflation chart for them. 80 psi sounds way to low to me.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires