Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Looking for info on sand balancing for tires we are thinking of buying; they are Goodyear G670 245/70R 19.5. Never had sand balancing before. Any comments pro or con?

Lou & Dianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2007, 03:45 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
It was a complete disaster on my unit. Spartan had to replace all 8 tires after 5,000 miles because the shop that did the balancing didn't do it right and used the method to fix the wrong problems.

Spartan did say it was in use but, I got the feeling that it wasn't the preferred method.

Scott Crompton
07 Dutch Star 4304
Sue (DW)Celia 10, Alec 8, Bella (Greyhound), Isis (Abyssinian)
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't use sand - use the stuff that is designed for tire balancing. Equal is the best known brand and is available in many truck tire shops but I like the Dyna Bead product.
Here is the Equal site for comparison: EQUAL tire balancing

I've heard of people using sand and even golf balls, but they can all cause tire and valve problems and you will be out on a limb if something goes wrong. Dynamic balancing products are widely accepted in the tire industry - truckers have used them for years - so if you stick with those you cannot be accused of doing anything wrong with your tires. And the material you put in the tire is not expensive anyway - its the labor of dismounting and remounting that costs the most.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Freightliner Owners Club
If you use EQUAL or a simlar product for tire balancing, make sure you have the special valve stem cores installed. They use a built in screen which prevents a bead of the balancing material getting stuck in the valve core seal and causing an air leak.

EQUAL can be installed in a tire without it having to be dismounted or even removed from the vehicle. There is a special applicator which can be used to install the balancing material through the valve stem. Jacking and letting the air out of the tire is about all that is required.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H, ISB-02, MH2500
Toad - '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue Ox, Aventa
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used Equal balancing powder with my G670's...10,000 miles and smooth as silk. No problems.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
My brand new Michelin 22.5" XRV tires are balanced using "equal" and the ride down to Perry, GA today was very smooth. No complaints.

There are "thousands" of FMCA coaches here at the fairgrounds and the thing hasn't gotten started yet. It's gonna be be busy here I guarantee!

Don't forget that if you need a sun screen while here in Perry "ASK" Bill Rex for your iRV2.com discount at the PROMPT RV Sunscreen display.

Friday night it's the "Oak Ridge Boys"
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:02 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put equal in my 22.5" Michelins a year ago. Works good-- no problems so far. Not a good idea for cars though-- they get up to speed too quickly and it doesn't spread fast enough to be effective. I like the flexibility in chosing valve extensions it gives me-I needed 6 1/2" on the inboard dual wheels and it compensates for experimenting with different setups. Good luck--

Max H

2002 37' Mountain Aire
2006 Malibu
Max H,
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire, 37', 3778, W-22, 8.1 Vortac, Ultra Power upgrade, CAI (cold air intake), Taylor wires, colder plugs, Koni shocks.
Max Hubrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
I also like the Dyna Bead product from Innovative Balancing. Make sure you replace the valve cores with those designed for beads, otherwise a bead may hold or wedge the core open and leak. They have worked well for me on two sets of tires.

Good Luck and Happy Motoring
2001 HR Ambassador
Sneaky Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:05 AM   #9
The only time I have seen a tire dealer attempt anything other than tire weights on a hight spin balance machine its because they don't have the proper equipment to do it right. Those other methods of balancing is a quick fix when it can not be done properly

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
A lot of trucking firms use balancing powder or beads to balance tires. It's cheap and effective. Most tire shops do not have the equipment to spin balance 22.5 tires and the balance weights can come off. I don't know if any study has been performed comparing the effectiveness of the two methods. Most of us are familiar with balance weights so that is what we tend to use. I suspect the powder or beads are just as effective or the trucking companies wouldn't be using it. They have huge investments in tires and they want them to last as long as possible at the cheapest cost.
Gary & Mary Hamblen

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
All I've ever done is:
1. buy coach tires at a truck tire shop
2. have the shop spin balance the tires using a very large spin balance machine made for large tires.

I've never had a problem, unless the tire itself was the problem. Then I get the tire replaced and everything returns to smooth.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #12
I'm about to have the sand removed from my 30 foot rig. I did not know that these tires were being put on my motorhome and they, also, did not put on the proper valve stems. I had two flats on my way West (brand new tires) and two more recently. The sand gets into the valves and holds them open to release air. They have been a pain in the butt!
There is a special balancing machine that's used to rebalance the tires after the sand is removed. So I'm having that done.
oletaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
I'm with GaryKD, buy your tires from a shop that has the equipment to spin balance a 22.5 tire. If the tire is that out of balance that it requires a lot of weight the tire shop should return it to the manufacturer, not sell it to you. Also, the tire shop should thoroughly clean the beads and inner surfaces of your rims. All you should need is a small/reasonable amount of lead weights on the rims. I also use aluminum tape (used for HVAC ducts) that cover the lead weights for extra security in keeping the lead on and doubles to help hide the weights on the aluminum wheel.
Glenn & Mary
2000 Monaco Dynasty 34 York
Three Toads - 1997 Jeep TJ :: built for dirt
/ 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel :: built for comfort in the dirt / 1990 Miata :: built for fun
MandG-Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #14
Originally Posted by Lou & Dianne View Post
Looking for info on sand balancing for tires we are thinking of buying; they are Goodyear G670 245/70R 19.5. Never had sand balancing before. Any comments pro or con?
Lou & Dianne
I don't know about Goodyear but the "Michelin Limited Warranty" is voided by the: [quote] Addition of liquid, solid or gaseous materials other than air, nitrogen or carbon dioxide. [end quote].
'96 Safari

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote