Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Sanicon vs other macerator pumps

Considering the purchase of a macerator system for my '08 Pacifica (bottom dump tube). I've seen the comparisons between the sewer solution and macerator pumps and I definitely want the pump option. Online reviews of both the sanicon and the clean dump (flojet) systems are almost 100% positive. My questions are:

1. Which is better. scanicon or clean dump? Why?
2. Permanent mounting seems most efficient but if it gets clogged, it seems like it is a real challenge to disassemble, clean and reassemble?

Your help is appreciated.
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #2

We have the portable Flojet that we use when parked at our dtrs. home. We're about 75' away from the sewer pipe and it pumps just fine that distance. I've heard of it working at longer distances but have no personal experience at that. From time to time it'll get jammed up but it's really easy to remove the bayonet and clean it out. Most of the time all you need is a screwdriver to turn the impeller a few times to loosen it up. There's a slotted screw on the rear of the pump just for this. It also came with a carrying case, so no muss no fuss.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:21 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jstdreamin,
You are correct in what you posted. My Sanicon has been installed for about 7 years without incident. When the time comes to remove it, the job will be messy. It is something I accept because the product performs as advertised.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #4

They both use the same pump. Clean dump has a larger hose than Sanicon. Sanicon has a flexible hose. They both have a grey water bypass. I have clean dump because I did not want the flexible hose.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Pcurt"......is right on the money. I've had two SaniCon units. One came with my 2005 Diplomat as standard equipment. I ordered a second one before I even took delivery of my Newmar.

In both cases, I found that the box that SaniCon uses is bulky and restricts the direction or placement of the unit in your water bay. When I received the new one for my Newmar, I tossed the outer box and was able to mount the Flojet pump exactly where I wanted it and in the direction I wanted the hoses to go....couldn't do that with the supplied box/cover. The cover is really more for aesthetics.

Now I'm just the opposite from "Pcurt" when it comes to the hose. I like the flexible one sold with the SaniCon unit. After I dump, I put the cap on the hose and it easily coils up on the floor of my wet bay. The grey water bypass is a must!

In this photo you can see how easy it is to just let the coiled hose lay on the floor of the wet bay. The hose is sealed with a screw on cap, so no leaks.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I understand it (I have a Flo-Jet portable by the way) Sanicon adds a small "Gray Water Bypass" line .. My Flo-Jet does not have (or need) this.

Since I do not leave the gray valve open, I do not need the bypass line.

The only problem I have, Since mine is a portable I do not use it often (only when needed) and the pump sizes up.. The "Fix"

When I take it out of the case I go to the bottom of the motor (away from the pump) there is a shaft with a slot.. I give it a twist in the proper direction and all is good.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks all!
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote