Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Satellite and Dish Network question????

We're in the process of trading in our 2004 Winnebago for a used Fleetwood Diesel motor home with a dome satellite. We subscribe to Dish Network at home and currently run six TV's (two are "mirrored") off two receivers. We would like to purchase a third receiver for the motorhome so we don't have to remove one from the house. I've found them on various websites, but do we have to call Dish Network to "activate" it in the motorhome? We were told we can only have two boxes in the house, so can we add a third in the motorhome?? Will there be an additional cost?? Where is the best place to purchase? Is it difficult to set up? Thank you in advance!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can purchase a receiver from anybody you want. I bought mine from a local satellite dealer. You can buy new and used ones on EBAY and new ones from places like Camping World. You will have to call DISH to get it activated. I have 3 receivers in my stick house and 1 in the MH. Dish charges $5 per receiver per month.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
But do watch out buying used receivers on e-bay. Dish has been known to keep bills associated with receiver serial numbers and if you buy the receiver, they won't activate it on your account until all the unpaid balance on that receiver's previous account is paid in full.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Before you buy a used or otherwise receiver from an individual or a non-authorized seller, get the serial number and smart card number of the unit and call Dish before you buy it.

They'll tell you if you will be able to activate it without a problem. Most ebay sellers know about this and will cooperate.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #5

This may be worth reading before you spend too much on something that may have limited use in future. http://blog.rv.net/2009/08/will-chan...-dome-antenna/
Old 08-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #6

One thing you will want to check on before you buy anything is what kind of a dome antenna the new-to-you coach has. A few of them will not work with every kind of receiver.
If you do buy another receiver you will also still want to register it at your home just in another room. If you try to register it as being in your motor home you may be required to setup an entirely separate account. If it is registered at the house it's just an extra $5/month.
You will not be able to get your home local Networks when you travel outside the spot-beam but you may still be able to get the networks with your crank-up over-the-air antenna.
As to the dome's future. There is nothing in the near future that would threaten the life of a domes usefulness UNLESS you want to receive the DirecTV HDTV programming. Since you are a Dish Network customer the only concern would be whether your dome has the software necessary to point to 3 different satellites (again only if you want the HDTV programming).
Old 08-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question where would I find it?

Where would I find the serial number and smart card number of the receiver?
Old 08-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
forgot -

So we can have the receiver hooked up to the TV's in the motorhome, then call Dish Network once we get back home to have the receiver activated? I should tell them that it's in my home instead of the motorhome? I'll just be billed an additional $5.00 a month?
Old 08-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
Where would I find the serial number and smart card number of the receiver?
Usually there is a label on the bottom. Check to see if there is a smart card installed. If not, you are using the built-in one.

Also, if you turn the receiver on and press the menu button twice, you'll get a system info screen that contains both numbers, among other things.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
So we can have the receiver hooked up to the TV's in the motorhome, then call Dish Network once we get back home to have the receiver activated? I should tell them that it's in my home instead of the motorhome? I'll just be billed an additional $5.00 a month?
You can tell them it's in an RV. It's an acceptable use of the receiver. They'll charge you $5 per month. You can call them from the road to get it activated, if you want to.